Reviews for Ulterra trolling motor please

roty967

I am looking to switch trolling motors from Motorguide 82 tour series that's 3 years old like new to a minnkota Ulterra. I'm looking for honest reviews of the ulterra from people that have one of have been around them while they have been used. My motorguide will be for sale if I switch to the ulterra.

Thanks

Mr. S

I personally do not have one but have read what I could find about them. I have learned, from what I have read, the second generation, current model for sale is greatly improved over the first generation. Better reliability and better spot lock holding. Johnny at DJMarine is a dealer and a straight forward person, I believe he would tell you the straight forward about the Ulterra.

high2425

I have one, likely gen one. Had issues after using for a short while. Took it to Swallows, he was unable to fix it. I then took it Lenoir city, where it was repaired in 3 days.Since then no problems. I love it,easy to use ,stow and deploy is great! it is not as quick to turn as foot control, still love it.

saltyduck

I fished with one for two days last week and they are incredible. If I had to choose between the Ulterra and side image or power poles I would choose the Ulterra. I think its the biggest thing to hit the bass fishing world since structure scan came out.

porthos33

saltyduck - 2/20/2017 3:45 PM I fished with one for two days last week and they are incredible. If I had to choose between the Ulterra and side image or power poles I would choose the Ulterra. I think its the biggest thing to hit the bass fishing world since structure scan came out.
</p>

Better than the ultrex?</p>

saltyduck

I have only fished with the Ultrex on a bay boat so I can't give an accurate comparison for bass fishing. Very similar concept and functionality.

Carl

I looked at the ultera when it first came out, and was told by several, that it struggled to lift heavy transducer, and that if i fished any sort of grass that i would have problems. Now the Ultrex looks to have addressed these issues.

elwestb

derek81 - 2/20/2017 8:17 AM

I believe Earl has one, what's the word Earl?

The Ulterra or the Ultrex? They are different models. Mine is the Ultrex and I'm still playing and trying to learn this thang! I have a connection problem in the Ethernet cable that links my H'Birds and have not tried the contour following feature yet or the remote control device. I have got to go get that taken care of but just haven't done it yet. I can tell you the spot lock feature is great! Just tap the lock button with your toe and you can go to the back of the boat and make yourself a sandwich if you like! The trolling motor will lock in on the H'Birds GPS and you will just sit there until you unlock it. It's very handy after landing a fish or changing a lure instead of having to hit the trolling motor and then trying to find your way back to that point where you started. I can also say that the power steering drive on the foot control is awesome. In fact it has taken me awhile to get accustom to how effortlessly it works. You just touch the pedal and it will move! Unlike so many other foot pedals where you wear your leg and lower back out pushing the pedal up and down in a days fishing. That may not be important to the younger anglers but to the old guys like me it is! There is also a tension adjustment on there also to tighten the pedal if you wanted too. The Ulterra also has the spot lock feature and it has the remote control auto deployment or stow feature. It does not have the power stirring foot control or the contour tracking that the Ulterx has. The contour tracking feature works with H'Bird's and the Lakemaster map cards. If you are a Lowrance guy and not necessarily wanting the contour tracking or power stirring feature I would go with the Ulterra instead of the Ultrex. The Ulterra is quite a bit less expensive than the Ultrex. Take note that the Ulterx does not have the auto stow and deployment feature yet. They will probably have that next year to try to get you to buy another newer model! Do not purchase either one of these models and use just the internal built in transducer for your electronics. Those are only two dimensional transducers. You need to install a four D transducer instead. Hope all this rhetoric helps!

K4INA

Mine is networked to my Helix 9 at the console. Being able to stow/deploy by pushing a button on the Helix is a hoot! I love the spot lock feature as well. The only issue I've had with spot lock is that if there's not a consistent current or breeze the boat will tend to wander. Once last year I set it to go to the back and look for a lure. I looked up and the boat was slowly spinning in a circle because there was no breeze or current for it to reference. I'm still learning about it and my Helix but I like them both a lot.

hindslg

i've had 2 Ulterra I had a 19 ft beeline with a 24v - 80 pound, now I have a z20 with a 36v - 111 pound. if you a fish/flipping dock it is a pain, they are hard to control because on a cable driven motor you just push down in the front and you go left. If you push down on the ulterra you could be going in circles. both were ipilot not link. the 24v stayed on stop lock better and it was bought in 2015 when they were being recalled. the 36v has so much power that it will go back and forward trying to get on the waypoint. if you fish open water or straight down a bank they are great. You catch fish , cull, retie, whatever and when you get back on the deck you are still on your waypoint. If I catch a fish I just hit the anchor or stop lock so I don't drift off the spot. hope this helps

roty967

I dropped my boat off to Johnny for ulterra and helix 9 install. I will update with my review of both soon.