Ethanol increase

Smalliefan2

Below is a piece from "Keep America Fishing" web site. More ethanol is on the way. Last week, one of the petroleum industry forums indicated some refiners are exceeding 10% currently, Racetrak, and with the extra 1.2 billion gallons of ethanol, many fuels will be near 15 % to meet the government mandate. The only power items set for E-15 are newer motor vehicles, no outboards, mowers, chainsaws, weedeaters etc. Buyer beware.

The EPA is at it again.

On their way out the door, the “lame duck” administrators at the Environmental Protection Agency have announced their plans to require the American public to consume an additional 1.2 billion gallons of ethanol. This plan surpasses even the current record high levels finalized less than one year ago.

This decision will very likely lead to more damaged boat engines due to the accidental purchase of high-ethanol blends like E15.

The good news is that it’s just for a year. With a new President, a new Congress and a new EPA, we have a real opportunity to reform this broken policy. With your help, we can tell President-Elect Trump and the new Congress to reform the ethanol mandate and save our boats from the dangers of E15!

Click here to sign a petition that will be delivered to President Trump when he takes office in January.

Help make sure the new Administration protects fishermen and boaters from harmful fuels like E-15.

SHane

Click where? I don't think your link is working. So, do you think the President's choice to run the EPA will help?

silvertalon

I've just been reading about the self imposed scam of ethanol fuels vs regular good ol gasoline vs global warming. It seems that growing all that corn and soybeen etc to create ethanol for fuel, actually creates more greenhouse gases that the emissions from burning the fuel! How dumb is that?! From, trying to create a money saving way to dilute gasoline (which was very little anyway), we are trying to keep the greater of two evils alive in order to save a failed industry from a few jobs and the embarrassment of human stupidity. I wouldn't be very hopeful of Trump in regard to his Non global warming concerns. With global warming aside, we need to concentrate anyway- on green energy sources to conserve on oil dependency. Energy dependency needs to be practiced on an individual level- you and me- EV auto, solar etc... Trying to change the largest industries in the world- oil and auto, Is an almost impossible feat. Anyway, ethanol needs to go!

stockcarm14

Most of the time the people that really thinks it makes there boat run bad are the one who that don't realize they have alot of water already in their tank and when running strait gas it stays separate from the fuel and when they add the e rated fuel it mixes with that water and makes it really weak and hard to burn. Even if there is no water in. Tank if your water separator has water in it when the ethanol passes through it absorbe the water from your separator and make the boat run bad.

finbully

I'm not against ethanol per say, I'm against government subsidies given to the ethanol industry. Same goes for wind and solar power. Let these stand on their own merits not give the rich more money with wealth transfers in the form of our obsolete, prejudiced federal tax code.

stockcarm14

Alot of local farmers have turned to the ethanol industry themselves not just the wealthy will benefit from this. Alot of farmers have strictly went to using their corn for the use in ethanol. Its cheaper and easier for them to just grow it and let it die and use it all for ethanol

silvertalon

stockcarm14 - 12/9/2016 12:39 PM

Most of the time the people that really thinks it makes there boat run bad are the one who that don't realize they have alot of water already in their tank and when running strait gas it stays separate from the fuel and when they add the e rated fuel it mixes with that water and makes it really weak and hard to burn. Even if there is no water in. Tank if your water separator has water in it when the ethanol passes through it absorbe the water from your separator and make the boat run bad.

FYI- gasoline holds 1/2 of 1 percent of water by volume. This means- take 100 gallons of gas. It will hold in suspension, 1/2 gallon of water. It , in this state is burnable. Any more water and it will separate out from the fuel and ball up in the bottom of the tank as it is heavier than gas. Alcohol, Ethanol and methanol, tend to attract moisture which can build up and separate in the fuel. Most boat motors do not have a water separating fuel filter. If you suspect water in your gas, the best thing to do is add some isopropyl rubbing alcohol to your fuel as it will absorb the water and make it burnable. Methanol additives (dri fuel), will only displace the water. Water will not burn unless suspended or dissolved in fuel. Nor will it compress. This is why a running engine that is immersed in water = bent piston rods. Nevertheless, ethanol fuels sour quicker, attract water faster than non eth. My rule of thumb is 3 months. If you run eth and your boat just sits around, add some isopropyl and fresh gas, then run it out. How much Iso alch to add is somewhat questionable as isopropyl contains 50% water. I've never added more than 4 oz's to a 6 gallon can of fuel. So, if you have about 25 gallons in your boat. Add the entire 16 oz bottle. You can also use 'Isoheat'. It is the famous 'Heat' dri fuel but has Isopropyl in it rather than methanol. Jus sayin. [This info is just standard 'fuel 101' at Marine Service Schools] everywhere.

Smalliefan2

Tried to repost with the link, didn't work. Go to Keep America Fishing .org. They are an advocacy group trying to keep us able to fish, since the anti's are more unified and political than fisherman. We outnumber them in terms of participation, but don't unite consistently to defend out right to fish, there is no NRA of fishing.