Rods/ Reels

SHane

I am sure this thread has been run a million times but I can't find anything on one. What kind of Rods/reels do you think are the best value for the money? My son has bought three Ducketts from Soddy Bait and tackle this year, one gohst and two micro magics. I have one gohst and all of our rods have lews reels except a spinning rod he just bought with a shimano Sedona 2000 reel. Just fishing for thoughts...

SHane

Wow. I can't believe no one has posted on this thread. I really thought there would be some severe brand loyalty here. I guess I was wrong.

TNsnow

I am a little biased but the Bass Pro Pro Qualifier reel and a Carbonlite rod is tough to beat for the money.
Lews reels are very good too.
Lots of great choices out there.

djsmarinelectronics

Come down and put a Cashion Rod in your hands; if you are fishing Ghost Rods, I have a similarly priced Cashion 100% carbon fiber rod that is a much better rod in my opinion; that of course would have to be determined by you or your son. Come try one out!

Lews reels are hard to beat in the $80 - $150 range

camaro88z

I am not rod stuck. Lol have several different ones. Reels I prefer lews. I like to use a mix of left and right handed. Helps from tiring out and back not hurting as bad between your shoulders. Feels a little strange at first but once you get used to it no problem.

Kickerfish

I too have become a fan of the Duckett Ghost/ Lew's setup. Its been said but it is hard to beat a lew's for the money. Im not set on a certain rod brand though as I have a boat full of different rods (no 2 are alike). I wouldn't mind changing that though.

stockcarm14

I have a few duckett ghost series rods and some cashion elite to me it's all about the type of fishing your doing. But if I had to choose over again I would only own duckett rods. This is just my personal preference.

silvertalon

It has become a very competitive market and with that said, quality is growing in the products. You get what you pay for. A $50 dollar rod or reel is just that- mediocre in quality. I have a lot of bass pro rods and some falcon, Wright and Mcgill etc. It seems that if you spend a little more, you get a little more. IMO.

tndoe270

Cashion and Lew's from Johnny at DJ's he'll beat everyone's prices and he knows no stranger and phenominal to deal with, I've got a trolling motor, graphs, rods and reels and he runs a top of line business and a super nice man on top of that!!!

Bigrobm33

I've sworn by Lews for years but the past year I have started using 13 fishing reels and they blow my lews out of the water. Fairly newer company not a lot of people from around here use them from what I have seen but if you are willing to spend $100 on a lews i highly suggest you to spend a little more and try out a 13 fishing inception reel. As for rods, try out a Vexan. Again a new company that not many people around here know about but they are great rods. Aren't sold in big name stores but if you are interested DM me I can give you some info and tell you how you can get your hands on one.

fischnrod

I'm old school so I fish with whatever I can snag cheap. I have some Quantum rods I've had for years and they are great rods in my opinion. Same thing with reels whatever I can afford but I do have some Shimano's and Revo's and some real old Lews Lazer reels and I still can't catch fish. emoGeezer

silvertalon

fischnrod - 12/9/2016 6:20 PM

I'm old school so I fish with whatever I can snag cheap. I have some Quantum rods I've had for years and they are great rods in my opinion. Same thing with reels whatever I can afford but I do have some Shimano's and Revo's and some real old Lews Lazer reels and I still can't catch fish. emoGeezer

Its not you- its a tough ass lake, Chick. !

BassERT

TNsnow - 11/29/2016 2:33 PM I am a little biased but the Bass Pro Pro Qualifier reel and a Carbonlite rod is tough to beat for the money. Lews reels are very good too. Lots of great choices out there.
</p>

</p>

X2</p>

</p>

emoCool </p>

Jmax

Rods are all about the weight and strength. The lighter and more sensitive with strength the better. There seems to be a ton out there today. I have and use some of the Nuclear Rods and the Duckett Rods, I really like them both. On the reels it is usually all about the bearings. The more bearings and the lighter the better. The more bearings the more money. The more bearings the smoother. Even a four bearing name brand reel will be smooth to start with but they do not seem to last. I often have bought reels on the low end with less bearings knowing the length of time I will use them will be less. But you also don't have to take out a loan to buy them. emoAngel Jmax

Mudman

Stick with Lews reels. Don't buy the cheap ones at any sports Store because they won't last. They as someone else said will be smooth at first but that won't last very long and u will stick those up on a shelf and get some lews. It would be better just to buy a few good ones in the beginning rather than trying to fill your boat with a bunch of cheap one u will regret later. Ghosts rods for the money are hard to beat. The only one cheaper that we have used that compare are the carbon lites from bass pro. They aren't as good looking as the ghosts but u can't tell a difference in quality. Shane u have plenty of money just buy that boy some G Loomis rods and be done with it.

silvertalon

My best reels are the Lews. But only the ones made in Korea. The China made with less bearings are notably less in quality. I mean- they haven't broken. They just don't perform as well as the tournament pro.