OXYGEN SYSTEM? - A continuous FREE flow of oxygen in your bass boat livewell for your summer tourny

Tony M

OXYGEN SYSTEM? - A continuous FREE flow of oxygen in your bass boat livewell for your summer tourny

Tournament bass care – this seems interesting enough to mention to the forum for opinions. This “new patented innovative livewell technology.” A couple livewell air ventilators will insure total livewell water quality management (safe oxygenation and safe CO2 toxic gas ventilation). “…the all-natural approach to tournament fish care. NewPro’s patented V-T2 Livewell Ventilation System improves livewell water quality by allowing continuous oxygen flow and provides an escape route for heat and metabolic gases. The result is a more natural and healthier livewell environment for your fish. After a long day on the tournament trail, weigh-in with confidence; avoid penalties and the risk of stress-delayed-mortality after release.” ”…developed the patented V-T2 Livewell Ventilation System; a unique, low-cost livewell modification that will simplify your fish care management by addressing all stressors that harm fish in the livewell and eliminate costly dead-fish penalties. … an easy and cost-effective way to ensure that your fish make it the scales in optimum condition. “…V-T2 Livewell Ventilation System allows continuous oxygen to flow inside of your livewell and provides a release for heat and other metabolic gasses, which can be harmful to fish.” Can 2 air vents really provide and insure a safe continuous supply of oxygen that will satisfy the biological oxygen demand required by all the bass (10-35 lbs of bass) in a bass livewell in summer bass tournaments all day long? Another bold new bass boat invention addressing tournament bass care fishermen can provide for their summer catch. Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

Cisco

Re: OXYGEN SYSTEM? - A continuous FREE flow of oxygen in your bass boat livewell for your summer tou

I'd like to hear some opinions myself before spending $50 on it. But if they do work, money well spent!

tripletdad

Re: OXYGEN SYSTEM? - A continuous FREE flow of oxygen in your bass boat livewell for your summer tou

Letting fresh air into the livewell isn't a bad thing, especially when you have your livewell on recirc.
but having 3 or 4 inches of that plastic cup into the livewell looks bad to me...fish aren't always happy to be in there and start thrashing around
thus hitting the bottom of that vent...if cut down where it was flush with the lid then I'd see it to be ok...we talked about this during a tourney a month ago but haven't done anything like that...I'm sure there's other options besides spending the $50 for those

Triton20xHarris

Cisco - 9/12/2016 7:37 AM

I'd like to hear some opinions myself before spending $50 on it. But if they do work, money well spent!

i invested in the VT-2 vents earlier this march. Ive been running them with very good success this year have not lost a fish. I run my pumps on the lowest setting between cycles and add G-Juice. The things I've noticed is that whenever i have a big fish in my livewell 6-9 pounds it doesn't pay any attention to where the water is getting pumped in at it sits directly under the vent where that fresh air is getting pushed in at. Another thing is the chemical buildup is no longer a issue ( all the nasty looking bubbles that get formed throughput the day), and it releases all the bad chemicals through the vent while pushing fresh air while you are running. Imagine your going down the road with your windows up and its 90 degrees outside without the AC on. It gets really muggy really fast, Then roll your windows down and how big of a difference does that make. Thats kinda the same scenario.

Carl

The vents work well and do help, but they are not doing much while sitting still and will make it harder to keep your water cool, if you use ice. If you run alot during tourneys, get the vents.

Tony M

Carl - I fail to understand why you wasted $155 or more for a livewell oxygen system like the O2 system you bought a while back when this simple $45 air vent will provide all the oxygen you would ever need for all your fish in the livewell? Just wondering out loud.

“… V-T2 Livewell Ventilation System improves livewell water quality by allowing continuous oxygen flow…”

“… V-T2 Livewell Ventilation System allows continuous oxygen to flow inside of your livewell…”

Good points. If this is correct, why would any fisherman ever pay a couple hundred bucks for a livewell oxygen system if these air vents will provide a continuous flow of oxygen free for years of use all for a 1 time $45 cost?

The fishery biologist at the State Fish Hatcheries should seriously look into these vents for oxygenating all their hatchery live fish hauls. They would never have to use a compressed oxygen system or LOX again if these vents really provided a continuous flow, enough oxygen for a all the fish.
And the best part this new livewell technology is - the oxygen is always free for the next 100 years of bass tournaments.

Tony M

Not discounting any fisherman’s opinions, but I just had to ask a real expert fishery biologist at the Lunker Bass Program in Texas about the efficacy of using livewell air vents, using air to insure minimal safe oxygenation during transport… it is my understanding that the Lunker Bass Program usually transports only one (1) mature fish (minimal biomass 13 lbs.) across Texas in their haul tank, not 2,3 or 5 mature fish. Original inquiry to: Kyle Brookshear Kyle.Brookshear@tpwd.texas.gov Subject: Transporting bass-water quality-safe DO saturation with livewell vents - opinion Kyle Brookshear, ShareLunker Program Coordinator Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center 5550 FM 2495, Athens TX 75752 Kyle.Brookshear@tpwd.texas.gov Office: (903) 670-2285 I wanted to talk with the expert live bass transporters and figure you folks are the best live bass transporters in Texas. I would appreciate your expert opinion please. My concern is, will 2 commercial air vents insure safe oxygenation for all my fish in transport? Will 2 air vents eliminate the CO2 and ammonia produced by the fish? Do your biologist use this type air vents for oxygenation when you transport 1 or more Lunker bass across Texas? I will transporting live mature wild black bass. These bass will be in the haul tank with a closed lid, a livewell. The lid will have 2 air vents for aeration/oxygenation. Stocking density will be 1 lb. fish/1 gal water. haul tank water temp will be 80’sF, tank water volume 30 gal, biomass of black bass 30 lbs. I will add salt to the haul water or a livewell water conditioning product commonly used in bass tournaments. Total time of captivity trip will be 7-8 hours, travel time 6 hrs, time stopped 2 hrs. Hauling water will be environmental water, no water temperature change. . I was advised that these air vent are a very inexpensive method for providing a continuous flow of oxygen and insure safe oxygenation for my bass. Seems to be an easy, cheap way to insure safe oxygenation, no air pumps, batteries, spray bars, aerators. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Mr. Brookshear’s response: Thank you for your interest in ensuring healthy transport of Largemouth Bass. While I have only been at TFFC for a few months Tony Owens, our Hatchery Manager, who I have copied to this email, can provided you with the best possible answer to your question. Tony has extensive knowledge of proper fish care, treatment, and hauling Largemouth Bass ranging in all sizes, various quantities and distances. So, he will be able to best answer your questions. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Mr. Owen’s response: Tony Owens NRS V – Hatchery Manager Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center Tony.owens@tpwd.texas.gov Office # 903-670-2236 I am responding to your email sent to Kyle Brookshear about Largemouth Bass transport. We do not use the air vent method you described. To insure your Largemouth Bass arrive healthy and alive, I would suggest getting a cylinder of compressed oxygen, an oxygen regulator, oxygen hose and a micro-bubble oxygen diffuser and put that in your transport tank. ___________________________________________________________________________ Well that was simple and easy enough, now we have expert opinion and live fish SOP from The Lunker Bass Program in Texas.