Need help with my Hole shot.

burnett1988

I have a 2009 Nitro Z7 it's 18'8" Long it has a 6" HiJacker Jack Plate on it set a 2" above the bottom. 150HP Optimax, 23Pitch Tempest Plus Prop. Boat runs great when on plane around 60MPH But the hole shot just isnt there especially when you have a tank of gas and a livewell full of water. What are any Recommedations you guys may have ? Any and all help is appreciated !! Thanks

Gator

I had the same problem and have "monkeyed" with the PVS plugs and it has improved a lot. First BE SURE your motor is trimed all the way down and if it seems to be BLOWING OUT you probably need larger PVS plugs or none or somewhere in between. Mine would come out of the hole fine until I filled one live well with water, then it would be slow to come out of the hole.
If you presently have 3/8 holes they probably are large, I tried small, medium, large, and currently found that having 2 large and to empty it comes up pretty well even with a live well full. If you try that remove 2 plugs that are across from each other (assuming you have a 4 blade prop). If that doesn't work try it without plugs. Plugs are cheap and available at Performance Propeller in Soddy Daisy.
Good luck, just keep trying things.

south599

Ok first with you light load your motor needs to be able to turn close to 6K putting your normal load around 5500-5800( you are leaving power on the table). Second the most effecient a motor will run is when it is sitting just high enough on the jack plate to be just above the minimum water pressure at WOT. Set the engine like this then add a skid planar under the jackplate. A Bman style foil on the cavitation plate and try props until you find one the does the above RPM numbers and gives you a satisfying holeshot. I am a big fan of the trophy plus prop.(do not get a whaletail or other large foil for the plate as they will likely slow you down). A boat with thats much weight may require a worked prop to run the motor at peak effeciency height. Dropping the motor some from this will allow an unworked prop to work with minimal losses.

jbh3

IF you're only able to turn 5100-5200, you are likely over propped, not achieving WOT for some reason, have a sick engine or some combination of those three factors. If you didn't see improvement by taking the first PVS plug out, take another out and run it. If you have a hot foot throttle, make sure the stop screw is allowing for WOT at the engine. Best of luck.

bullet02

Is this a new to you boat? Or did problem just show up? Remove all of your pvs plugs and see what it does. It sounds like it is bogging bad due to the heat and load. What was the rpms as the boat was breaking over? Majority of the time your shooting for around 3500 or so.

bronzeback45

I would drop your motor a least a inch.

burnett1988

Ive had the boat around year or so, Its never really got up on pad too good with a load, Just now getting time to mess with it. It gets around 3400 Breaking Over. All the Prop Shops say a 23P Tempest Plus is a perfect prop for the boat ?

bullet02

The 23 is what others with your setup are running and are also topping out around 60. So that eliminates wrong prop or pitch. So with that said I would go back to your pvs plugs. Tempest being a 3 blade how many plugs are in prop now? Try removing ALL plugs. Any time I am tuning props I start with all open and start closing as needed.

When you take plugs out and go to run it take the plugs with you when you go. This way if it's too much venting you can easily idle to the dock and install one and try it again.