New personal best.

Jmax

There I was, fishing a shakey in about 25 foot off a deep drop looking for Mrs. Big. Not much work today so I had headed for the lake trying to keep my big bass program going. Bouncing the shakey off the bottom as it fell down the side of the drop I felt a strong thump!! Then the line just slowly moved off. Reared back and set the hook. It did not move. Rod looked like it was going to break and I thought I had better back off the drag. At first I was thinking I had the new world record bass on my line. ;) Then it hit me, President Oboma said the Russians were after Hillary's e-mail and I had apparently hooked into a small Russian Spy Submarine. emoBigsmile Surely that had to be the case, President Oboma is soooo truthful and would not lie about anything. emoEvil

Bound and determined to do my patriotic duty I held on. I was going to get the Russian sub up no matter what. I had to chase it around with the trolling motor and every time I would get it coming up it would make a surge and down it went again pulling drag right back down to the bottom. This went on for fifteen minutes or so before I finally wore it out. It slowed wore down and started easing up. My Russian sub ended up being a 57 lb 6 oz channel cat. emoEek That is a new record for me. I once caught a 48 lb flat head on a crappie jig and a 47 lb flathead on a silver buddy. But that one there is the heaviest yet.

Did not get a very good picture that shows it's size but keep in mind, I weigh 245 and am 6-1. That cat was built like a huge football. Very round, hard to tell with me holding it like that, I think my hand was holding in it's belly. It will be hard to beat that one. Caught on 12 lb fluorocarbon and a 3/16th oz shakey head.

Attachments

• Picture0804161500_1.jpg
    Picture0804161500_1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 402

Hook1

Hope you kept the slime off of that sweet Ranger!

elwestb

... seems to be a resemblance there. Beard, whiskers, belly. Are you sure that's not a relative of some sort Jim?

Strato-G

elwestb - 8/4/2016 4:47 PM

... seems to be a resemblance there. Beard, whiskers, belly. Are you sure that's not a relative of some sort Jim?

emoUpsmile emoUpsmile And you break off on a 3--4lb largemouth emoQuestion . We gonna have hard time beliving your breakoffs anylonger. Gonna have to find better excuse emoPoke . Coulda fed the whole CFF night tournament group with that one............well done,,,,,,,,,, emoGeezer emoUSA

Gator

Great job Jim!!!

porthos33

I'm pretty sure it's a blue. If it was a channel you destroyed the existing state record of 41lbs!! Huge fish no doubt!

Jmax

derek81 - 8/5/2016 9:29 AM

That's a blue you pecker head.

Oops, well in my defense I do not cat fish much, never have. I knew it was not a flat head. emoBigsmile Jmax

Jmax

fishinvol - 8/5/2016 10:15 AM

Catch that off Derek's super secret spot?

Derek don't have no super secret spots, he just has what you and I have shown him. emoPoke emoLaugh Jmax

EricM

Moving toward the dark side for sure emoBigsmile emoBigsmile