Humminbird 798 locating fish

TNTall

I have been looking for the DOTS of bass that I have seen on DI and SI screen shots of others' units, and I have almost concluded that the 798 just isn't good enough to see that. I can often see lumps on the bottom with 2D and switch to DI and SI and see nothing. Does anybody have luck using a Humminbird 798 to locate bass on ledges and such? Thanks, Greg.

Hook1

I really improved my unit by only looking 80 feet on either side. It makes the picture clearer because it makes objects larger. For instance I can go over stumps which were black spots before, and now I can actually see the roots of the stump because the images are larger. Another plus is when you see this stuff you can actually cast to it in most cases. To see fish better you may need to go into the SI enhance settings and play with the contrast and sharpness to get the best returns and shadows.

TNTall

Thanks for the reply. I have been setting it to 50' or less for each side because I am usually scanning a fairly specific spot. And when I use down image, I set it to only show a 5' or 10' depth range near the bottom so it basically zooms in on the bottom. I played with the enhance and other settings, but maybe I need to mess with those some more.

canoe fisherman

After playing with settings, and still have issues, try resetting to default. And also try one side at a time, left or right.

Triton20xHarris

Whenever your using side imaging just triple your depth. EX: if your scanning 20ft keep your range close to 60. And if you keep your range on relatively the same distance you have an idea of how big objects are.