Oxygen System for livewell

kenshep

Thinking about getting oxygen system for my livewell.Wanted to know who has one, if your happy with it, and where did you purchase it from?

niteowl

I don't have a oxygen system but I have the cool well system for my livewell. I truly am shocked how well it works. This past Saturday during cba, I turned it on. The water temp was around 87 to 88 degrees. After turning it on, my livewell temp dropped to 66 to 67 degrees all day. All I had to do is keep ice in cooler. After you get temp down, it doesn't use much ice at all. Fish were really active after riding around all day. I know it's not the same as a oxygen system but they are not that high dollar. I know I had a few people doubt it til I showed them. I never added any ice to livewell at all.

south599

I believe i used a bubbles aeration system. Small air pump that hooks to bubbler stones in livewell. Worked awesome and was super simple. Draws such a small charge that it will never effect battery. Never lost a fish and very quiet

Tony M

Oxygen systems, pure 100% oxygen or aeration systems pure 100% air… what’s the difference?

Consider this first: do you just want an O2 system because they sound cool or do you really need an O2 system this summer.

There are additional risk and issues using pure 100% oxygen and no issues with air. Dr.’s, nurses, hospitals, clinics, SCUBA divers, EMT’s, welders, auto mechanics, shiner bait dealers and fighter pilots use pure oxygen every single day safely, but they all have been trained how to use pure 100% oxygen, the gas, safely. They all made the effort to learn safety issues and they practice what they learned.

Have you researched the safety issues for using pure 100% oxygen gas and transporting pure oxygen on you boat? Oxygen is not air.

Using pure oxygen is absolutely not an option for the uneducated and careless for sure, pure oxygen is way too dangerous.

Most fishermen do not really need an oxygen system because they never overcrowd their livewells and never have problems with the death and dying usually seen specifically in the summer. Most fishermen are fine with air and water pump type livewell systems or a Mr. Bubbles type aerator. The other reason fishermen usually buy an O2 system is if you want a turn and forget, fail-safe livewell system and you don’t want to have to think about the fish dying all day when you put it in the livewell at 7:30 AM on a hot July-August tournament day. The primary concern is hauling those tournament fish in the livewell 7-8 hours in the summer and not being penalized for a dead fish. And of course wildlife conservation is a consideration too.

Check this out when you have time.

About oxygen system safety and using pure 100% oxygen gas - Google: “rules of the oxygen road,livewell oxygen systems”

There are many different types of O2 systems, brands and prices, homemade systems, commercial equipment and repackaged medical equipment - Google: “compare fishing oxygen systems”

Many boat manufactures promote livewell oxygenators, you might Google: “compare livewell oxygen generators”

If you want to learn more about O2 generators issues read this: AquaInnovations Oxygenator - How Effective is It - by Fishery Biologist Randy Myers TPWD, Inland Fisheries Division, San Antonio, TX Publication 2-14-2012 http://www.slideshare.net/raminlandfish/the-oxygenator-how-effective-is-it

Did you know that some oxygen systems can fail when you really need them to work in the summer, see why and how they can fail, Google: “why do some oxygen systems fail to oxygenate, fishing”

There is a lot more to these O2 systems than first meets the eye. You might want to research the gas and the equipment more before you make a choice between your air bubbler (air) and a pure oxygen system.

bronzeback45

I use pure oxygen in my livewell, along with a diffuser. And a regulator to control the amount. It is the best thing you can use. I haven't used ice the past 2 summers and havent had a single fish die. Ask many of my friends, when I weigh mine they jump around in basket like the we're just caught. The diffuser helps break down the oxygen to tiny air bubbles so it will dissolve better in the water. Here is a link. http://www.oxygeninfuser.com/ceramic.htm

Tony M

Also, if you fish with live bait, did you know that you can “Supercharge” your live bait with oxygen if you want to… make bait fish extremely abnormal in less than a minute with pure oxygen. The “Supercharging does require a larger dose of oxygen than the smaller dose necessary just to keep them alive. Can’t “Supercharge” bait fish with air, aeration (even if you foam the water with air bubbles), water pumps or bigger water pumps.

So how do you “Supercharge” your live bait… “Supercharge Your Live Baits” George Poveromo’s World of Saltwater Fishing http://www.georgepoveromo.com/content.php?pid=64

A lot of Crappie pros are using this particular O2 rig to “Supercharge” their live bait fish; Ronnie Capps, Steve Coleman numerous other crappie pro’s.

There are many things a fisherman can do with pure oxygen, here’s another thing some of the crappie and catfish pro’s do at certain times of the year. This is secret pro stuff and this works real good when you’re really fishing tournaments to win the money.

Pure oxygen makes excellent “chum” in the heat of summer and the dead of winter when the water is low on oxygen and the water surface has been frozen over a couple months. The entire aquatic environment is low on O2 in the dog days of summer and the dead of winter when iced over. Drop the diffuser 15-25 ft deep and turn the O2 on. Bait fish , game fish, everything that can find the oxygen enricher area you made with your O2 rig will come to the area and stay in that area while the O2 is running.

This is a small scale example.
Here’s “chumming” fish with pure oxygen on a much larger scale if you’re interested: Oxygenation systems could explain larger catches at Thurmond Lake By Bill Baab, Fishing Editor, June 13, 2015http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/sports/outdoors/fishing/2015-06-18/baab-oxygenation-system-could-explain-larger-catches-thurmond#gsc.tab=0

Fish like humans must be able to breath in order to eat, if O2 is low in the summer and fish can’t breathe well that cannot eat. Thus the bite always slows down the hotter the water gets every summer until there is little to no bite in the August Dog Days. If fish have plenty of environmental O2 even in the Dog Days, their behavior changes drastically/abnormally when they can breathe again, there's plenty of dissolved oxygen and the bite is on. The bait fish are seasonally attracted to these artificial oxygen rich area for the same reason the game fish are there…. So they can breathe better. Humans will not eat much when their oxygen level is low either, just don’t have enough energy to catch or digest the food… not enough energy, just can’t do it even though they would like to eat

Chumming with oxygen gas is very different than chumming fish with food and sent, this is the difference between breathing well and not breathing well at all, the difference is hypoxic vs. well oxygenated in 2 opposed adverse seasonal environments recognized when the bite gets really slow during summer heat and winter surface ice. Ice fishermen up north are familiar with this seasonal change.

You can do a lot of things with pure 100% oxygen that you could never accomplish with air (aeration). The 2 gases, air and oxygen, are so very different.

Carl Guffey

<font size="3"><font face="georgia,palatino">I use pure oxygen. Don't need anything else. No additives, nothing harmful to the environment. And I don't shock my fish out sending them from 67 degree water to 95. A shocked fish is a dead fish. </font></font></p>

<font size="3">Search oxygen systems in this forum and you will see what I am running. It is available through Bunch Marine.</font>
</p>

Tony M

Hay Carl, Have you ever used your O2 system and that pure 100% oxygen to "chum" game fish in July/August when the environmental water is hottest in the summer? In the Dog days of summer when the bite slows way down and seems to nearly stop is when this chumming with oxygen technique works.
Bet you never heard any tournament pro talking about this. There are also no tournament rules prohibiting this ether at least for now. This is way beyond the scope of knowledge and imagination for tournament officials and I bet they have no idea that some tournament anglers have been using this tournament tactic several years.
Leverage The Heat For Channel Catfish http://www.catfishedge.com/late-summer-catfishing-tips/
“These fish will flock to areas with high oxygen levels and also “safe harbor” from the heat. Pay close attention to when and where you catch fish and put the patterns together when you are fishing in the heat. Finding cooler water, cover or even areas with higher oxygen concentration can make all of the difference when targeting summer channel catfish.”
This works will all fish, but it is seasonal. Bait fish come to the O2 immediately and stack up around the diffuser 1st, then come the larger fish to the oxygenated area.

BulletTJ

I have a air bubbler system in my boat. I have used this system for over 20 years. The only fish I have ever lost was hooked in the tongue and was dead as soon as it hit the livewell. I turn it on as soon as I catch a fish and I leave the livewell refill in auto mode during the day. I never have to add ice to the water. At the end of the day my fish won't lay still on the weigh-in scales. I got mine from Academy.

Tony M

Check this out… all the right words.

“Multi Speed Oxygenated Live Bait Fishing Aerator” --- ONLY $19.99
ON SALE NOW – SAVE 20% TODAY --- YOU SAVE $5.00
http://www.factorydirectfishinggear.com/products/multi-speed-oxygenated-live-bait-fishing-aerator

*30 Day return policy, if for any reason you are not happy with your purchase simply email support@factorydirectfishinggear.com and let us know what the issue is.

If your bait dies because it fails to safely oxygenate, simply send it back and get your money back. I really like their 30 day return policy especially in August. Their return policy is as good as Wally-World.

Carl Guffey

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="3">I have not chummed with O2. I can see how that would work if you had a longer canulus and a small weight to hold it down. It would take some time to get an area working, depending on the mood of the fish.</font>

Tony M

Power Bubbles® http://www.marinemetal.com/products/12-vt-air-pumps/power-bubbles/item/power-bubbles
*Weighted glass bead air stones provide greater dissolved oxygen
*Produces 99.5 % saturation of dissolved oxygen
*Widely used for catch and release tournaments
*Perfect for crowded livewells

The salesman explained to me in detail why this particular device was so great: 1st because it delivered a lot of oxygen because this as you can see it uses not just 1, but 2 stones. 2nd because it is cheap, only $40 or so. Salesman guarantees that 2 stones delivers twice as much oxygen as only 1 stone. Salesman also claims oxygen is the same thing as air.

“It would take some time to get an area working, depending on the mood of the fish.”
Mother Nature controls the environmental dissolved oxygen in lakes, rivers and ponds, etc. She severely limits the availability of dissolved oxygen every summer (high water temps) and ever winter (days and months the lake surface is frozen over). The dissolved oxygen availability directly affect the mood of all fish. Many are very short of breath in August because Mother Nature pours on the heat and this results in hot environmental water and low dissolved oxygen.

Actually the artificial oasis of high dissolved oxygen the fisherman makes is the magic responsible for “getting fish in the mood” to bite during the Dog Days. Fish are not in a good mood and don’t do much of anything every August, in the Dog Days of Summer when the environmental water is extremely hypoxic. Fish are cold blooded and their metabolism is highest in the hottest time of the year, August. Not because they don’t want to be aggressive and active in August, but because they can’t, because they are hypoxic, because the water they live in is hypoxic, everywhere. They are like someone with severe end stage heart or lung disease. Got to be able to breathe before you can swim fast, chase bait fish, digest food, have sex… digestion requires a tremendous amount of oxygen. When fish are hypoxic and can’t breathe, the bite slows down and seems to stop in August, the hottest time of the year.

Actually the bait fish come immediately, then in short order the game fish are there, they are all consolidating there because of the high oxygen saturation. Here’s the interesting part. When the game fish have been there a few minutes breathing the high concentration of oxygen bubbling from the diffuser, their hypoxic deficit is corrected, they can breathe and they eat. The bite is artificially stimulate with the oxygen because the fish are no longer hypoxic. This feeding event continues while the O2 is bubbling and stops when the O2 is not bubbling.

Of course there is a little more to it but this is the general concept… and it works. Like best locations to create the oasis of oxygen, how deep to place the diffuser, the dose of O2 to dial in on the regulator, time of day to use it…

Chumming fish in the summer with pure oxygen on a grand scale… check this out.

Oxygenation systems could explain larger catches at Thurmond Lake
By Bill Baab, Fishing Editor, June 13, 2015
http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/spor...uld-explain-larger-catches-thurmond#gsc.tab=0

Eating, sex and foot racing is extremely limited when you’re hypoxic, you don’t have enough oxygen to breathe and can’t breathe well for both fish and man. Energy conservation has top priority when you are hypoxic.