A good running depthfinder

9821xd

I've recently got back into fishing after 20years off bought a great used bullet but the depthfinder is crap for running depth it's a HB 598 work good otherwise .Whats a good one under 1000 the will give good depth readings .Thanks

Flipman93

I bought a hummingbird helix 7 with sonar and down imaging. It's got great quality from what I an tell I'm still going through the set up process but it's a good HD quality for under 500.

9821xd

Thanks It's priced decent also may give it a try .My last boat 92 20xd with jimmy Houston pro flasher always got the depth right that was all it was good for electronics have come a long way .Thanks

Flipman93

No problem. I'd look into them. And just decide what is more important to you they have them with just sonar, sonar and GPS, sonar and down imaging, sonar with side imaging, and one with all of that and that model that offers it all takes map cards. Price goes up with each new feature. The 7 is the perfect size to me. 5 was too small and 9 was too much

I recently changed over to the HB Helix from the Lowrance HDS. I am still learning how to use all of the features. I have no complaints. I really like the image quality. Probably like it too much. Some days I just ride around looking at structures. Be sure and factor in the cost of a Lakemaster card to go with it.

Aries 181

9821xd - 7/12/2016 4:09 AM

Thanks gonna try the helix 7 it's a decent price also.
Be sure and buy it from Johnny @ DJ's marine electronics, you'll save $50.00 compared to the big box stores.

Bill

porthos33

9821xd - 7/12/2016 4:09 AM Thanks gonna try the helix 7 it's a decent price also.
</p>

The downside to the helix 7 is that you can't link it to any other unit. You have to get the 9 or higher to be able to do that or get the 800 series or higher. Good units though. Love watching fish come into the screen and immediately getting a bite!</p>

BulletTJ

It depends on how long you have been out of fishing but I think I know what your problem is. It has a lot to do with the speed of your boat.
The old school depth finders that had flashed capabilities would keep up with the speed of your Bullet. The newer units with down imagining can not keep up at the speeds your boat is capable of. My Bullet has a in dash flash as well as a Humminbird 998 on the console. I recommend you get a unit with GPS capability and a really good map. Set the shallow water depth color in red. I have mine set in red for less than 3' and dark blue for 3' to 5' range. If I am running at WOT and get close to the 5' dark blue color range on the map, then I will start watching my in-dash flasher. It is really hard if not impossible for a down imagining unit to keep up at really high speeds. That is why I rely on my mapping system to help me gauge the water depth. I do know my boat won't out run my GPS. I hope this makes sense and maybe it will help you.

9821xd

Thanks your right on it .I ordered a helix 7 I will get the hang of it.Electronics changed a lot in the last 16 yrs

BulletTJ

The reason I thought I knew what your problem might be is because I did the same thing. I got out of fishing for 10 years, When I got back in it I bought a Bullet. The dang depth finders couldn't keep up with the boat. I ran completely across a flat before the depth ever changed on the depth finder. Scared the crap out of me. When it caught up I had ran across a flat with less than 3' of water at over 80 mph. Good luck and be careful.

Tim