kayak seats

wardlaw

I've joined the kayak ranks and purchased about a 5 year old ocean kayak prowler 13. The guy I bought it from said if he was going to keep it a seat upgrade would have been in his future.

So what seats are you guys using that is comfortable for trips? After about 3 hours my lower back and legs weren't happy with me at all. I've been doing some research online but wanted a few opinions.

bullshot

Elevated seat like the ones from Jackson are the way to go. In a low kayak, like you have, some like a little padding, others a lot. Surf to Summit is a popular aftermarket seat brand. It really is personal preference and everybody's rear and back are different.

Kayakaholic

Wardlaw, agreed. I have the same seat as you have now and it's time for an upgrade.

Some of those seats are REALLY pricey, but then again, can you put a price on comfort??? Let us know what you decide on!

TrophyHunter3

Might look into like vibe sea ghost seat they look super comfortable and also lure Mokena seat if your kayak can't fit an elevated seat Cuzco they are definitely the way to go

richg99

I have a Crack of Dawn seat that is fine. However, almost any decent kayak seat can be greatly improved by adding three or four inches of stiff foam under it, and adding a cheap mesh-back back support.

You can buy these mesh type back supports for $3 to $5 dollars if you look around.

I am NOT saying that those two improvements will equal a high quality suspension seat, but they sure help. richg99

http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...pla&CAAGID=15551035213&CATCI=pla-100427198173

javascript:popUp('/popups/largerphoto/default.asp?pid=363158&catid=185779&size=500&trx=29888&trxp1=363158&trxp2=1','popup',650,650)

G

I just recently got a Jackson Big Rig. I am a big guy and the seat in it is fantastic. Anything you find similar would be a great purchase.

richg99

Just happens that I paddled a Big Rig on Wednesday at a demo day here. Big, comfortable and very stable. Probably slower than many, though. If you want to feel comfortable and safe, it met those criteria. richg99