New Definition of a "Buck" in TN - Opinions?

churly

I support the changes made. Distinguishing between a small buck and a doe isnt always easy, but it can usually be avoided by not pulling the trigger as soon as a deer pops out. If you are the type of person who has no problem shooting a yearling buck, then this rule change shouldnt bother you as getting 2 "racked deer" is not your goal for the season. Most areas in TN have enough deer that if you wait long enough, you will get a shot either a mature doe or even a "racked deer".

Jmax

I am not sure where they are going with this one. emoScratch If they are trying to have less bucks shot this will only help with those hunters who will check in a small buck that they thought was a doe. It may even increase the number of small bucks that are killed not being recorded and in some cases they may just be left where they fall. I would of rather seen a fork horn rule or even a three point rule imposed. It is hard to have it both ways. Kill more doe but if you mess up loose a buck tag. emoRolleyes Some may let doe walk, afraid there is a small horn hidden by those ears. I am not sure of the answer and this one is hard to decide. If a person kills two legal bucks, then goes out to thin his doe ratio, kills a small one inch horned deer thinking it was a doe because the ears did not allow him to see the horns, now that hunter is illegal. emoAngry I have done this myself, I remember a big doe once, I watched it for a good ten minutes, hoping a buck would follow. Finally after the doe had passed me and she would of soon been out of range I dropped her. Went over to look at her and was surprised to see two small two inch spikes between her ears. My her was a him. I never saw those horns. Luckily for me they did not have this rule. emoGeezer Jmax

Kirk

Give the TWRC one thing, they know how to get TNdeer.com blood to boiling. In my opinion, the new regulation is sort of misguided and won't change the buck ratio enough to make a difference. The ones that blast anything, will still do it. The ones that are cautious will still be cautious. It might make a small group slow down a think before they pull the trigger.

I have watched the TWRC make some controversial decisions over the years. The most memorable was the crossbow legalization and the tirades that appeared on TNdeer.com by several of the "purist" archery supporters. The "end of deer hunting in Tennessee" was predicted by several due to the accuracy and power of the mighty crossbow, or as one guy called them Crossguns. Well, deer hunting survived these mindless killing machines.

THEN there was the evil, biological data robbing, internet check-in that was passed by TWRC. Tndeer.com was blazing on that one.

churly

Lol! Kirk is correct!

catjuggin

The keyboard warriors will always be ready to attack en masse. emoBang

fish4thepeck

Between all the road kills, farmers protecting their crops, deer killed that don't get checked in, year round poaching, and the 100,000 or so that gets killed legal every year it's hard to believe any would be left. Just for the record I counted 17 this mourning going to work... I for one think that the TWRA has made some very good decisions in the past. It's sure a lot easier to fill your freezer now than ever. Also, every year I'm seeing a lot of big bucks being killed. This new reg. don'tt bother me at all.

Tenncrapie

There will be a lot of dead 2 inch bucks found dead in Polk County this year. These guys won't put up with this crap. Will I do it? No but I've heard their opinion.