Fishing Kayaks?

cleanwaterlady

Hey! Where is the best place to get a fishing kayak? Do you have any recommendations?

Hook 1 is a great place to buy one, you can try anything they have. The only downfall for you is that it's in Hendersonville TN. I fish out of a FeelFree Lure 11.5 and love it.

richg99

At least in Texas, Academy Stores has dozens of reasonably priced yaks on the wall. richg99

bullshot

Caney Fork outdoors is in Silver Point, TN (also has a Nashville store, as does Hook1). Caney often has 2nds/demos and previous used kayaks

Uncle Lem's Outfitter is in Knoxville.

richg99

I understand that Jackson Kayaks are made in Sparta. They even have tours. Perhaps they have a "scratch and dent" store???

richg99

Blue76

XxthejuicexX - 2/29/2016 8:12 PM

Hook 1 is a great place to buy one, you can try anything they have. The only downfall for you is that it's in Hendersonville TN. I fish out of a FeelFree Lure 11.5 and love it.

Are you the guy I see around Harrison bay in the green camo Lure? That's a nice Kayak.

As for the OP...

I have bought two Kayaks from Hook 1... both are wilderness systems... a Ride 135 and a Tarpon 120. The ride is super stable and fast on the water... but it is super heavy out of the water. If you are a BIG GUY it might be the perfect kayak for you. The Tarpon is lighter and also pretty stable... you can tell the difference in the two. My daughter fishes from the tarpon a lot and she loves it.

IF... I were buying new today... here are my favorites...
Lure 11.5 like above... super stable, great seat but not real fast if that matters to you.
Native Slayer- I really like the seat and the layout... little pricey.
Jackson Cuda HD... this is a great Kayak all the way around... but you will pay for it.

There are many others... The only reason I didn't mention the ones I have is the seating... I only have a 3 hour seat.. :) after that I cant take it... The new air pro seat would fit mine for $350.00 and help... Might look more into that.

I have a bass boat but I love to fish from the Kayak as well.

CRUSH3R

I got a great deal at Rock Creek on my Coosa. They will offer some serious discounts from time to time. I thoroughly enjoy it but I fish a lot of creeks and rivers. I take it on the lake sometimes but a Cuda would be much better on the lake.

Buoy-Master

Love my 115X Hook1 and I gotta thank Chad himself for it. My kayak has been on a lot of his shows. I worked the show a few weeks ago and brought back one of his used rides.

I agree with the seat upgrades! My air pro sits great amd I have a bad back. The Feel Free has a killer seat as well.

Blue76 - 3/1/2016 4:16 PM

XxthejuicexX - 2/29/2016 8:12 PM

Are you the guy I see around Harrison bay in the green camo Lure? That's a nice Kayak.

As for the OP...

I have bought two Kayaks from Hook 1... both are wilderness systems... a Ride 135 and a Tarpon 120. The ride is super stable and fast on the water... but it is super heavy out of the water. If you are a BIG GUY it might be the perfect kayak for you. The Tarpon is lighter and also pretty stable... you can tell the difference in the two. My daughter fishes from the tarpon a lot and she loves it.

IF... I were buying new today... here are my favorites...
Lure 11.5 like above... super stable, great seat but not real fast if that matters to you.
Native Slayer- I really like the seat and the layout... little pricey.
Jackson Cuda HD... this is a great Kayak all the way around... but you will pay for it.

There are many others... The only reason I didn't mention the ones I have is the seating... I only have a 3 hour seat.. :) after that I cant take it... The new air pro seat would fit mine for $350.00 and help... Might look more into that.

I have a bass boat but I love to fish from the Kayak as well.

Not me in the Green, Mine is the sun camo.

Just about everything he said about the yaks above it correct. My Lure is slow but super stable standing up and fishing. The seat is amazing, you can fish all day and not hurt. The ability to raise and lower the seat makes a big difference. When paddling a long way the seat in the low position will allow you to make better time.

Fishheadspin

if you are going to fish around here, you do not need to spend a lot of money and honestly Craigslist is the best place to look. If you ever have plans of taking it into the gulf or Atlantic spend the money and buy a really good kayak!!!

Blue76

I spent hours and hours in my Kayak... A good seat is a must... I have a Humminbird 898 SI on mine, anchor trolley and the ability to add night lights. Some Kayaks allow you to stand easily and others do not... No matter what you pay or what you save... if it doesn't do what you want it to do then you didn't spend your money wisely... I would error on the side of having too much Kayak than not enough.

Blue76 - 3/2/2016 2:50 PM

I spent hours and hours in my Kayak... A good seat is a must... I have a Humminbird 898 SI on mine, anchor trolley and the ability to add night lights. Some Kayaks allow you to stand easily and others do not... No matter what you pay or what you save... if it doesn't do what you want it to do then you didn't spend your money wisely... I would error on the side of having too much Kayak than not enough.

Good advice. The seat is the big deal! I can easily carry 7 rods and a milk crate full of tackle trays. I have an Helix7SI on mine with an anchor too along with a couple hand made shallow water anchors if needed. Always get more yak than you think you need. I had a cheaper sit in "fishing" kayak and it killed my back after about 2 hours and had no storage at all except in the rear hatch which was impossible to get to unless you pulled the boat out of the water. Being able to stand is a big plus.

calveryc

I love my hobie. It's nice to be able to pedal and have your hands free. I agree with Fishheadspin, I would definitely look at craigslist, used toys are usually cheap.