Worth trying tomorrow?

Trickwrm

Just wondering if you guys think it would be worth trying to catch a few largemouth tomorrow. Looks like bites have been scarce according to reports on here but the few bites have been good ones. Thanks for any input.

Harrington

javelin379

I think any day you can get out is worth trying. Last Friday and Saturday was the best weather I've fished all year and worst days I've had as far as catching

Trickwrm

I agree with that, the weather was awesome once the sun came up. The wind was a little stiff for the kayak in the afternoon hours though. I agree with the catching as well. It's funny the bites are few and far between but then a 12 pounder gets caught.

Jmax

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to catch a lot of bass and load the boat....no. Not worth going. If you are looking to have a nice day on the water and hope you get a few bites and stretch a line....yes. It is worth going. Go with the idea of just enjoying what our Lord has blessed us with. Dress appropriately for the conditions. It is best to over dress in layers and take off a layer at a time as it warms up through the day. Bring a helmet or face shield, sun screen, gloves and you will have a great time. You might even catch a fish of a life time. Move around and try a lot of patterns until you fine one that works. Good winter patterns on the Chick include the rig, blades, spoons, silver buddies, traps, cranks and jerks. Occasionally you can find bass willing to eat a jig, worm or creature bait. I prefer reaction baits. emoAngel Jmax

elwestb

bucktail - 2/5/2016 8:26 AM

More often than not fishing pretty days is like hunting in pretty woods. It can make for thin soup.

... now that's a great truthful quote!

Trickwrm

I don't understand it. The water was 54 in December before all the rain came in and they were chomping. Today the water was 51-52 and they weren't doing a thing. Granted the water is heavy stained to muddy but still I would expect to snag something. Beats me.

javelin379

I got to the lake today at 4 to catch a few crappie. Wife called at 5:15 wanted me to meet for dinner. Picked up the bass rod and caught a 6 and a 3 in 5 cast. Loaded up and left. Just never know.

Trickwrm

Gotta love fishing. This is the first time I've fished the chick while it's cold and muddy and obviously I don't know what to do just yet.

Jmax

You just need to work on it some. I got a call from Ben Hayes at 1 oclock this afternoon and asked if I wanted to fill the back seat for a couple hours with him. He was heading to the lake. Met up with him at about 1:30. Fished for a couple hours and boated five bass and a crappie. ;) The Chick can be tough to figure out at times.

Trickwrm

You got that right. If I go again this weekend I feel like I can eliminate some water and presentations so we'll see where it goes. I just don't know if I should be looking for warmer water in the back of the creeks or looking for them on creek channel drops or what. Then the mud just makes adds another obstacle to overcome.

Trickwrm

And I'm like you Jmax, I would much rather chase them with reaction baits than slow moving plastics. The closest I got to catching one on a slow bait today was breaking two jigs off in the rocks.