Sandhill Crane Hunting

RRB32

I drew a sandhill crane permit this year, anyone hunted them in the past two seasons? Looking for any tips!

scubajt41

go to local pond...Throw bread.. WAIT... Point and shoot.

Best tip i got.

Maybe that was for ducks??

Look for large fields with fresh cut grass. Especially the fields where they are bailing hay.

U-Tail

we use pink flamingos spray painted grey for decoys and layout blinds it helps a little especially if your in a 300-400 yard long field noticed they like to land on the high points of a field.

ccone

yep i have drawn tags that last two years and been successful pm i can get you on the birds.

U-Tail

woods res is out of the kill zone don't shoot them there or you will become great friends with Wes ( woods res game warden)

RRB32

Thanks for the tips guys looking forward to getting after them once the season opens! I will be hunting around Dayton, so won't be near woods so no worries there.

RRB32

Anyone hunted them with any luck yet? Seems as though they are late this year with the warm temps, haven't saw hardly any flying around yet. Just a few here and there, not like last year at this time.

ccone

they are extremely late with the hot weather and shortage of mud flats and sand bars due to high water where they roost. a lot of the birds are passing us and keep going south hopefully they will show in good numbers before the season ends first of Jan.