Need locations for fly fishing in the smokies next weekend+ need activity ideas.

cptenn94

Finally I am approaching my fall break in college, so I can actually go out and catch some fish. Since I have an extended period of time to fish, I plan on taking my family camping to the smoky mountains this upcoming weekend. I really am not familiar with the area, but I right now I am considering cades cove, or gatlinburg. My family is probably not very interested in fishing, so I will likely end up with that as a side event.

So I need two things.
1. Suggestions for locations to go visit. I know cades cove has a large deer population, but where are some sights to see. I am more interested in activities and locations that involve the outdoors, or something historic.
2. Suggestions for where I can go fish, particularily near a campsite. (an ideal location would be a campsite that is right next to a creek that I can fish in. I am fully open to suggestions on prime fishing waters in the area besides places that may be available to camp.

So far the only area I have really been to in the smokies was lecounte lodge, and that was quite a few years ago. Just for context, all of my family are adults. Also in general the kind of campsite I am looking for does not have to be very advanced. A fire ring, and a cleared out place for a few tents, would be enough. Though additional comforts such as drinking water and a toilet would be best. Certainly we dont need a rv campsite or anything like that.

Any information would be very helpful.

josh_bonham

I've never camped/fished in the Smokies but I plan to next summer so let us know how it goes.

I can't wait for Fall Break.

JaSkynyrd

Abrams Creek campground sounds like it's right up your alley. The only possible issue is that you can only access it by road from the south end of the park, which means you'll have to drive around if you want to go into cades cove, or basically any other area of the park. It's an hour and a half from abrams creek campground to newfound gap, which is pretty much the center of the park. There is a trail leaving out of Cades Cove that you can use to get there if you are wanting to hike in.

Also, as far as a place for your family to stay, it's really really hard to beat Townsend TN. I would not go near Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge under any circumstances. I'm guessing there are women going, so they may want to shop there. Stay in Townsend, drive up Wears Valley road and visit. It's an easy drive. Plus, you can fish a lot of the Little River very easily if you stay in Townsend.