Humminbird or Lowrance?

Randall53

I have a Humminbird 598 with Sonar DI and side imaging but I'm thinking about upgrading. Which do you have and why did you choose it? I'm wondering what advantages one has over the other. I definitely want all three in whatever I upgrade to. My budget will be around $900 or so.

Thanks to you that offer some insight.

VolsFan24

I would look at a Humminbird 998ci HD. You can find then used for in your price range. Apparently the 999ci HD isnt that much of an upgrade, but the 998 has the better transducer than the 997. I have a 997 but backlight went out so i havent used it in a while. But the unit does everything you need. Side imaging, down imaging, and 2d. Plus you can used Lakemaster chip which is awesome. Its very user friendly in my opinion.

VolsFan24

Not bashing lowrance at all. But in my experience it costs more with Lowrance to get the features of Humminbird. There isnt a touch screen with structure scan for under $1000 used. But you can get a used 1198 for around $1300 and thats the biggest possible screen and has every piece of technology needed to succeed. Since my 997 went down ive been using a 778 and a 598. I HATE how small the screens are (didnt care until i got used to my 997), and i HATE not having side imaging (got used to it and am dying without it). When did i get so picky, not too long ago i was fishing from a kayak. Haha. But both brands are real good and you cant go wrong with either. If i were you, i would look at the BBC swap and sell for electronics. Get the biggest screen with side imaging you can buy in your budget. Whatever brand it is, match it with the second unit. Thats what i did and ended up with Hummindbird, but had i found an HDS unit first, id be using Lowrance right now.

djsmarinelectronics

Humminbird is phasing out the 800, 900 and 1100 series; all that will be available in the future will be the HELIX series. Humminbird is generally less expensive for side/down imaging units. The Helix 7 SI/GPS is at a great price point with the HDS-7 Bundle coming in around $300 higher.

Straight out of the box I think Lowrance has them beat; but I have not seen a HELIX unit yet and they are supposed to be vastly improved. Only drawback to the Helix 7 or Helix 5 is they cannot be networked

Dgreen

VolsFan24 - 9/2/2015 3:55 PM

Not bashing lowrance at all. But in my experience it costs more with Lowrance to get the features of Humminbird. There isnt a touch screen with structure scan for under $1000 used. But you can get a used 1198 for around $1300 and thats the biggest possible screen and has every piece of technology needed to succeed. Since my 997 went down ive been using a 778 and a 598. I HATE how small the screens are (didnt care until i got used to my 997), and i HATE not having side imaging (got used to it and am dying without it). When did i get so picky, not too long ago i was fishing from a kayak. Haha. But both brands are real good and you cant go wrong with either. If i were you, i would look at the BBC swap and sell for electronics. Get the biggest screen with side imaging you can buy in your budget. Whatever brand it is, match it with the second unit. Thats what i did and ended up with Hummindbird, but had i found an HDS unit first, id be using Lowrance right now.
The 598 should have side image. You might check your screen views to see if its been turned off.

bronzeback45

Lowrance hands down, but what ever your budget will allow. To me Lowrance is far ahead of technology than the others.

craazyboutbass

You'll get different answers from everyone. I have a HB 998, and the sonar, DI, and SI quality is just as good as the Lowrance HD models IMO. I hear that Lowrance is easier to set up straight out of the box than HB, I guess as far as adjusting sensitivity settings, etc. HB units aren't hard to set up at all though in my experience. The reason I chose HB over Lowrance when I got mine is because it's Lakemaster compatible. Lakemaster has most of the lakes I frequently fish in HD. You can't go wrong with either one, I'd say just look around and try to find one that fits your budget best.

Oldman

just think,made in mexico or the USA.that should be enough to buy the birds.

Randall53

Oldman - 9/3/2015 5:57 AM

just think,made in mexico or the USA.that should be enough to buy the birds.

Very good point. Everyone has good points to consider. Thank ya'll very much. Now, it's decisions decisions......LOL. I may need to save up a little more money. Again, thanks!!!

scooby-doo pole

Bought 2 HB Helix 7's, GPS/DI and GPS/SI/DI, at the beginning of July, ordered online from BPS. Well took right at 45days to get the HE 7 SI unit. By that time, I had already bought a new boat. Took both units back to BPS and bought the HDS7 G2 Touch Bundle for $900. Only thing I think is better is the Lake Master Card that HB makes! Now you can buy an HDS7 G2 Touch for as low as $749!!!

At best, Lowrance Side Scan is in third place with that technology. Humminbird Side Imaging is considered best by those that actually have used most brands. Garmin Side Vu is second place.

PH_Fishing018

With humminbirds you can use both lake master and navionics, while lowrances do not allow lake master. At least that is true of the ONIXs. In my opinion lake master is much better than navionics. Just something to consider

Patrickhoskins - 11/19/2015 12:44 AM

With humminbirds you can use both lake master and navionics, while lowrances do not allow lake master. At least that is true of the ONIXs. In my opinion lake master is much better than navionics. Just something to consider

Well said Pat, well said....

JD Fishing

I'm a big Lowrance fan and have used both but Lowrance is just better for me. I do a lot of On-Water electronics trainings and the new Touch units just seem so much easier for my clients to understand and the end result means they will get far more use out of them.

I am seeing lots of sales this weekend on HDS Touch 7's Gen 2 going for $799, add in the StructureScan ducker and a Navionics mapping card and you'll be sitting really pretty with a bada$$ combo for just over a grand.

Id first check with the board sponsors and see if they are running any cyber Monday deals.