Be aware and on the look out for these guys. Could ruin your day.

Jmax

Went to my deer camp and was looking around for a couple places I might want to put a new stand up. I was stomping around in the woods and not really even paying all that much attention where I was stepping. Had this big guy cross right in front of me! I thought for a second it was a stick until he moved and I focused on him. Pretty good size Rattler, about four foot long, had about ten sets of rattlers and in the biggest part of it's body was as big around as my arm!!! :eek: That will make you watch where your putting your feet. Had me spooked the rest of the day. emoEek Jmax

Attachments

• Picture0901152013_1.jpg
    Picture0901152013_1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 349

Jmax

jdw2920 - 9/1/2015 8:40 PM

Should have disposed of him

That is actually illegal in the state of TN. He was not really bothering me, he did shake his rattle at me as I was trying to get the phone out to take his picture. Then he turned and calmly eased off into the woods. Here is the rule on snakes in TN.

Killing Native Snakes in Tennessee

It is illegal to kill any species of snakes native to the state of Tennessee, venomous or non-venomous. The only rare exception is made for a homeowner who feels genuinely threatened by a snake. This exception particularly applies to a homeowner who finds a snake inside of their home. It is also legal to defend livestock that are being threatened by a snake. This means that it is always illegal to go out into the wild and kill a snake in its natural Tennessee habitat.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8718418_laws-killing-snakes-tennessee.html

emoAngel Jmax

hookset

Snakes are already at a disadvantage when it comes to humans. Yep, pretty cool creatures. Mother Natures "No Shoulders"

275prostratos

yeah it is illegal to kill them, but when one bites your kids hand and almost loses his arm from it you have a different outlook on that law.just sayin

sbhockey

No no no no no! Don't need to see that. I drew the early hunt at Prentice Cooper. I almost don't even want to scout.

flpper

Having been bitten by a copperhead and spent $1200 for nothing at the E-room (most copperhead bites are "dry" bites. i.e. no venom injected, although I did get some), I think I'll take my chances with a fine. BTW, the snake had crawled into the garage and into a shoe I wasn't wearing, but picked up to put it on. However, rattlers are a different breed; they almost always inject venom and the results ain't pretty.

churly

You ought to encounter a western cotton mouth in the Ohio river bottoms. The dont run from you and will even become aggresive at the site of a human. Ive encountered them in dry woods miles from the river. I respect venomous snakes but one around a place I frequent is as good as dead.

digitalcb

Notice the keloid scars on the right side of her nose. Copperhead several years ago. Struck her on the neck too. I guess she tried to fight it. </p>

She and my billfold both lost. </p>

I assume it was a copperhead. I see more copperheads that rattlesnakes around here.
</p>

buzz

My neighbor kid stepped out of his truck the other day and almost stepped on a coiled rattler, he and a friend were going squirrel hunting. I don't think the snake made it thru the outcome. Good snake now.

digitalcb

digitalcb - 9/2/2015 2:40 PM

Notice the keloid scars on the right side of her nose. Copperhead several years ago. Struck her on the neck too. I guess she tried to fight it. </p>

She and my billfold both lost. </p>

I assume it was a copperhead. I see more copperheads that rattlesnakes around here.
</p>

Attachments

• princess cropped.jpg
    princess cropped.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 334

procraft

dont know the law on killing them in AL but i hate all snake and will kill them asap i had a wma officer aka game warden ask me not to kill any diamond backs that i might find on wma property cause they had turned 150 loose but if i see one he count will drop by how ever many i see but that is just my to cents

Carl Guffey

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="3">Thanks Jmax, for the picture and reminder to be aware in the woods. That ol' boy was just out hunting supper just as you will be. Whenever I come across one I will trail them and just watch for a while. It is always fun and I usually learn something of their behavior.</font>