Dam release issues/opportunities around Dayton? or Spring City?

richg99

Still trying to learn how to find fish in river environments.

I recently read that river/lake fish normally turn on when the current is flowing during dam releases.

My closest access points are Watts Bar lake near Spring City and/or Chick near Dayton. I live near Crossville.

Can anyone help me with what the time differences are for increased flowage when the Watts Bar or the other dam run one or two generators.

If the generator on ???? dam ....( I don't know the name of the dam that controls this area)... starts flowing at 12:00 noon, when might I expect flowage near Spring City?

If the generator on Watts Bar starts flowing at 12:00 noon, when might I expect flowage near Dayton?

any and all help appreciated. I don't fish on weekends and I only participate in a local subdivision tournament.

thanks, richg99

flipper

A lot of the timing all depends on the other dam down stream. In a perfect scenario if Watts bar came on at 7 am you would see flow around Richland Creek area 7:45. All ways remember the farther away from the up river dam you are,flow is influenced a lot by the down river dam.There is really no good answer for your question.They are to many scenarios,all depends on where you are at on the lake/river.

flpper

It sounds stupid, but if your boat is moving downstream, and thers no wind or motor running, you have current. You can also look at channel markers. It's really hard to tell if they are spilling water or generating if you are not close to the dam itself. Most of the time you will only notice slight changes in lake levels, and those usually come in 24 hr periods. Also, the TVA app gives approximate data; it's not etched stone. Bottom line is, it's like everything else; experience is the best teacher, and the lessons learned are the ones you remember. If you have the means, there are several guides in the area that have the experience and knowledge.

richg99

Thanks, last "guide" I took was a waste of time and money. He was cheap and not worth what we paid him. Took us to places he caught fish in the Spring!

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced guide who will NOT FISH and teach me something? Used to use all sorts of guides down in SE TX. After way too many bad guided trips, I bought my own boat. Fished with some great ones too, but it's been a lot of years.

richg99

Blue76

I went out with Rigne Briwn in April. Best day ever for me for weight. Caught about 20 and most were in the 5lb range. He fished a little with different baits than we used just trying different things. Wasn't an issue at all. He shared a lot more info than I thought he would. Super guy to be on the lake with. I am going book another trip with him.

Greg

digitalcb

GPS on your phone will tell you how fast you're drifting. Over time you should develop a feel for times.

richg99

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time. I only come to TN in the summer (live and fish the Texas Saltwater flats out of Houston seven months out of the year). I might make one or two trips to Watts Bar or Chick once a month. So, the normal learning patterns would be stretched out for years. thanks, though. richg99

SNUFFY

Power demand probably dictates when TVA turns on the generators....during the week they usually start with the business demand and then add in the heat or cold as the day progresses. Rain and lake levels play a part too especially during the spring and during the winter. I found if Watts Bar and Chic dams are both generating it can get to rolling pretty fast at the same time. A lot of variable to figuring out the timing down stream.