New Forum Look

pwadm

Administrator
As you probably noticed we just installed a new forum skin. The functionality has not changed, but the layout of the main components is different. The main reason for the change is to make it easier to use the forum on mobile devices and small tablets. There are also improvements on the desktop. I hope you like it!

Let me know if you notice any problems with the new skin. We run tests on multiple devices, but it was impossible to cover everything. Feel free to PM me or just reply to this thread.

EricM

Seems really nice!! Much easier on the phone. Thanks.

VolsFan24

Looks cleaner. I like it.
I just noticed something. I'm using it on my iPad and on the "dr helps little person" thread, when I have my iPad sideways, the ads cover part of the post boxes and cuts off some of the words. If I turn my iPad upright, The ads are gone and everything looks fine, when I turn it sideways it cuts it off again. But this thread is fine. I've never noticed that before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 499
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 490

pwadm

Administrator
Thank you for reporting and documenting the problem. A fix has been applied, but it may take a while before the browser updates its cache. You can also clear your browser cache by pressing CTRL and F5 keys at the same time.

Picture upload works the same way as before. I only increased the pic size limit to eliminate the need to resize pictures before an upload.

pwadm

Administrator
Fishing Photos are now under the Links menu (top bar)

Attachments

• fishing_photos.png
    fishing_photos.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 478

pwadm

Administrator
mjwendorf - 8/25/2015 8:14 PM

Oldman - 8/25/2015 1:04 PM

it sucks
I look at this forum on my phone and would have to agree.

What phone do you have? I would like to have a look....comparing with the old skin which never adjusted to current phone screen resolution (requiring constant horizontal scrolling) the new skin should look much better.

porthos33

Just seems like everything is jumbled together on the home page since the lines and boxes are gone that separated posts. I liked the way the old format was, but I am glad that we don't have to resize images anymore. My first impression was the same as Oldman's. I don't use a phone but I use my desktop. And the random photo is even more random. haha It's so far down at the bottom you just forget it even exists.

fish

I am on regular desk top using chrome and see no ads and everything looks good here.

GAfisherman

Do not like it compared to old forum on my IPhone 5s. Would have been nice to have a heads up that it was changing or a poll to see who was having issues with the old style.

jason

Guess I'm the odd man out on this one...I like the change. The new "lean and clean" format loads quickly on iPhone 6. However, I have yet to try it on a PC.

pwadm

Administrator
porthos33 - 8/25/2015 10:21 PM

Just seems like everything is jumbled together on the home page since the lines and boxes are gone that separated posts.

I think your browser is still caching some of the old content. Please try to refresh the page by pressing CTRL and F5 keys at the same time. See the attached image on how the new forum should look like on the desktop and mobile.

Would have been nice to have a heads up that it was changing or a poll to see who was having issues with the old style.

We had to make the change, as Google now removes websites from the search index if they don't comply with industry standards. We are now OK as you can see here:

https://www.google.ca/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com

We did some testing with Moderators, but I agree, I should have announced it to the forum ahead of time. Will do so when implementing new changes (new message editor is coming)

Please see the attachments on how the forum looks on a desktop and mobile. If you see something else please press CTRL - F5 on the desktop, or follow those instructions for iPhone:

http://refreshyourcache.com/en/safari-mobile/

Anything specific you don't like on the mobile? The Forum/Posts should nicely fit within the borders of the screen without the need to do any horizontal scrolling. The font is also larger.

Attachments

• cff_front_page.png
    cff_front_page.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 472
  • cff_mobile_front.png
    cff_mobile_front.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 503