Gain speed

jdw2920

Looking at getting my boat to run faster I have a 98 astro 2000 with a 99 mercury 200 with 24 trophy plus prop. It gps around 56 looking at trying to get it faster any suggestions or thought s

VolsFan24

Jack plate and 3 blade prop. Those were the answers i got when i asked. My "new" boat has a jackplate and i played with it some the other day and it changes the way the boat rides. Its cool to mess around with. I posted the other day i was looking to test a Tempest Plus (3 blade prop) because someone said the change could gain 3-5 mph depending on boat and motor. Another thing is lose some weight or shift it around. I have a lot of weight in back (3 31 batteries and oil tank in 18' boat) so i moved my heavier stuff up front and i like that ride better and it doesnt let the bow get too high when planing out.

jdw2920

Alright yea my stepdad has a mercury 300 with a hydro jackplate definitely a lot bigger motor but his helps him a lot I'm thinking my motor needs lowered that would help a lot I believe I believe I can get it push 60 when I'm alone like to get to 70 but may not ever happen

Mr. S

I'm kinda dealing with the same thing, here is a excerpt from a email I sent to Stratos today.

Sorry to have so many questions... I am curious, I have talked to several people and I keep hearing that my boat and motor should run in the lower to mid 60 mph range. When I first purchased the boat it ran 53 mph @ 5900 rpm running a 27 Shooter Prop, 16" of set back, that includes 12" built into the boat, 2" that the jack plate gives me in it's current configuration and 2" from the engine mount, and center line of the prop shaft 3" below the pad. I have had to replace the gear case and have recovered my speed basically. I now run 53 mph @ 5800 running a 24 Raker Prop 16" of set back and center line of prop shaft 3.75" below the pad. I was told recently that my jack plate was set up incorrectly, by a fellow Stratos owner. It's set up in a collapsed configuration not the normal way you see jack plates set up. I have also been told by a service technician that used to be with a Stratos dealer that the model year hull I have that was the way they were set up due to that fact that so much set back was built into the hull. Also that the rule of "thumb" is 1" of set back for every foot of hull length, with that rule I should have 20" of set back 4" less than what I have now. I have a couple of other props I want to try out but I would like to wait until I find out if I should reconfigure my jack plate before trying these different props. I'm looking for efficiency not necessarily speed, with one you get the other. So I am asking the builder of the boats their opinion. Should I change my jack plate configuration or leave it as is, looking for that 8 - 10 mph everyone says I'm missing. I included this pic so you could see what I mean by collapsed configuration.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Attachments

• jack_plate.jpg
    jack_plate.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 314

jdw2920

Im using a 24 pitch 4 blade trophy plus prop right now I'm thinking of buying a hydraulic jack plate and maybe a new prop

VolsFan24

Im using a 24 trophy on my 150 and im getting 55 at 5800rpms. And my prop needs to be cleaned up. If you can swing a hydraulic jack plate DO IT. Mine is manual and i have to make my 5 minute test run, load up boat and adjust jackplate in the parking lot, then launch again. Ive only messed with it once but i spent more time idling to the ramp, loading, adjusting, unloading, and idling out than i did running the boat. A hydro jack plate would be a blessing right now. Haha

south599

Things to do. Get a jack plate. I think bbc has a lot of those boats and may have someone close to your setup. You want the motor to come up so that you reduce the drag of the lower gaining you speed. You want to know the minimum water psi at wot. Get close to that maybe a little lower then prop the boat so at your lightest load you are at the rpm limiter or around 6000 rpm. You may need a skid planar and foil to keep your holeshot good. A 3 blade can be faster than a 4 blade but you really need to try several. 4 blade can give better holeshot.

jdw2920

I have been playing with mercury prop selector thing it's kind of iffy but plugging my motor and stuff in its saying I should be 70ish which is what I want I wish I could put more info into the thing like all the choices rather than picking one. Does anyone know how to calculate this my boat is 2250 plus gear and myself 225. I belive it's around 3100 or so.

jdw2920

VolsFan24 - 8/17/2015 7:26 PM

Im using a 24 trophy on my 150 and im getting 55 at 5800rpms. And my prop needs to be cleaned up. If you can swing a hydraulic jack plate DO IT. Mine is manual and i have to make my 5 minute test run, load up boat and adjust jackplate in the parking lot, then launch again. Ive only messed with it once but i spent more time idling to the ramp, loading, adjusting, unloading, and idling out than i did running the boat. A hydro jack plate would be a blessing right now. Haha

How hard is it to Lower the motor seems like it would be super hard to alone as heavy as they are

south599

I've done one of those before and it says i should be able to do 80-85...

jdw2920

Yea it seems like it needs more information to be more accurate. I'm thinking the boat may want a 25 or 26 pitch to help it out some

jdw2920

Yea I believe 2250 according to iboats looking on BBC several are 65+ I'd be happy with that 67 or so would be nice

VolsFan24

Its not hard at all raise or lower the motor, just inconvenient compared to a hydro plate, but definately gets the job done. I have a CMC Power Lift plate. Loosen 4 side bolts then spin the bottom bolt to adjust. It was a lot easier than i thought it would be. You cant tell the difference between raising and lowering without watching the motor physically move. Meaning raising the motor isnt harder because of the weight. They are both equally easy.

jdw2920

No thought about that but maybe this option looking into will get me there I know with the tweaking mine now will get to 60 61. So I may not get all the way to it but hoping to be dang close

south599

Get a 20 xrd. Thatll get you 80. Lol