dale hollow lake

ccone

Ok so i am getting to make a trip to dale hollow lake the 15th through the 17th of august. i have never fished this lake and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on those big small mouths up there or any fishing in general.

Mudman

Only fished it for 1 weekend a couple of yrs ago so Idk alot about it but we found night fishing was best this time of the yr. Dark jigs and trailor are best or floating fly. Any point that had some water movement coming around it was good. Take a camera because it is beautiful.

churly

Big blade and jig at night right now.

ccone

is there any specific colors that work well up there i'm going to target mostly small mouth but anything that bites is more than welcome to come on in the boat. oh and is it clear like chickamauga or does it have some stain to the water, and thanks for all the info everyone. oh and i have never fished hair jigs before is there any specific way to fish them like a swim jig or football jig on the bottom.

Hooker

3/16 hairjig is my favorite size,,,as clear as it is there browns,,brown n orange,,brown n chart,,,4" grub in punkinseed or greenpunkin could work as well,,,spinnerbaits,,,take your pick on colors n sizes,,,basics should do though

Smalliefan2

Which part of the lake ? When I smallmouth fish, I use 1/8,1/4 hair jigs, brown or black w/ U-2 matching pork trailer. The classic fly & rind combo. I also like 3 1/2 and 4 " tubes. Fish at night or very early in the morning for smallies. Wolf river and Obey rivers arms , when you are towards Byrdstown (east) has standing timber, weedbeds, laydowns and largemouth bass, just like fishing Chick.

ccone

thanks for all the info eveyone i have been preparing just hope i can find some fish and make it happen.

kevo615

I like a 3/8 black hair jig with some chartreuse at night. 15-30ft main lake points and some of the deeper grass lines. Like Peck said, August can be tough. I usually stop fishing Dale from Mid July to the end of October. Fall is the best time.

ccone

sounds good i finally found some hair jigs at hamilton sports on 58 so i bought 6 in different colors and 1/4 and 3/8 oz. also got some zoom plastic trailers they were the smallest i could find and the lady told me they didn't have any of the 101 pork trailers, hopefully i can catch a couple.

Hooker

6 might just leave ya wanting more,,,hairjigs, light line and rocks,,,I've broken off that many in hr before,,,used to tye hairjigs n still do for myself but that was the reason I started tying,,,lost to many,,,not trying to make ya feel bad but if they're biting it ya might wanna take more

fish4thepeck

ccone - 8/6/2015 6:19 PM

sounds good i finally found some hair jigs at hamilton sports on 58 so i bought 6 in different colors and 1/4 and 3/8 oz. also got some zoom plastic trailers they were the smallest i could find and the lady told me they didn't have any of the 101 pork trailers, hopefully i can catch a couple.

Hair Jigs are fine but the Rubber will work just fine. If it were me I would take along some 1/2 to 1 oz. You don't need the light line at night. I would be suprized if you catch anything under 25 feet (MAYBE A HOGHEAD) more than likely 30 to 40 for the brown colored ones. If your going the 15th there want be much Moon and it gets dark on the holler not much illumination from houses and towns just dark Hollers so be careful running.

Hooker

Brown froghair rubber jigs work good as well,,,blue trailer under them,,,still like the lighter weights and line

Smalliefan2

Since you will be at Horse Creek, Dale Hollow One Stop in right across the dam, north end of Celina, and they would have anything you can't find here. Stephen Headrick is the owner, and they can help with some info to get pointed in the right direction. I stop there every time I go to Dale Hollow.

ccone

i have some really good led light pods mounted on the front of my bullet they really light up everything for a long ways.