TN drops antlered deer limit from 3 to 2....

churly

If you dont deer hunt in TN or live in a cave, the wildlife commision voted to reduce the antlered harvest limit to 2 friday. In all my years of hunting TN I have never harvested 3 bucks, so I dont feel too affected by it. I have mixed feelings about this decision. On one side, I like the thought that less inmature bucks will be harvest in the future, and I like the thoughts that we will have more mature bucks to pursue, but I do not think we will see any big changes in the harvest numbers. On the other side, I was appauled that this decision was made given all of the statistical biological data put forth by TWRA biologist stating that this move was not necessary.

Like I said it doesnt affect me too much, but I hooe it affects my neighbors.lol.

What are your thoughts?

saltyduck

I agree that very few use all 3 buck tags in a season, but I hope it changes the way a lot of hunters think and will reduce the amount of immature bucks killed in a season. My hope is that it will make hunters more selective, we shall see!

Justfishin

I'm glad to see it I know a lot of guys that shoot anything that walks so it will help some.it wouldn't hurt my feeling to drop it to one like some of the northern states

dhpro

reduce buck tags and go up on license fees ??? I don't personally like the new limit and I do not shoot deer less than 3 1/2 years old .But if a land owner wants shoot 3 bucks that are spikes its his land and none my business . just my opinion.i do hope it has some degree of success .who knows tn might be the next ky??????only time will tell.

herefishy

Personally I hunt for meat first (unless a big boy shows up). I tend to let the little guys walk espically if I can get a few does early on in bow season. But like churly said, this is my 17th year hunting and I font think I've ever killed 3 bucks in one season. I bet that there is only a few that have.

churly

Tn does not have the soil content nor the genetics to compare to KY deer antler scores.

kornbread

I agree with the change and think that if everyone follows the guidelines a positive outcome will result. I disagree with the raise in license cost. It's a never ending cycle that will continue to occur.

SpurHunter

Most regulars on here know Churly is a die-hard trophy hunter, yet he speaks the truth on this issue. Dropping the limit to 2 bucks, or even one buck, will NOT produce any noticeable difference in antler sizes in TN. Maybe on a small tract of land that is heavily managed, but as an overall state-wide rule, all this will accomplish is to force trophy wishes upon people that just want to hunt for fun and enjoy the meat. Its really an embarrassment to the TWC for doing this and caving to such a small percentage of hunters forcing their ideas of hunting on others. And to repeat, there has been ZERO biological data put forth by any side to show this was either necessary, or beneficial to the deer herd. I hope those that are thrilled with this decision, are also going to be thrilled one day when a very small percentage of anglers that put pressure on the TWC to ban TX fishing, “because it will allow fish to grow bigger”. Don’t think that’s a possibility, you are living in lala land.

skinny water

SpurHunter - 5/27/2015 8:53 AM

Most regulars on here know Churly is a die-hard trophy hunter, yet he speaks the truth on this issue. Dropping the limit to 2 bucks, or even one buck, will NOT produce any noticeable difference in antler sizes in TN. Maybe on a small tract of land that is heavily managed, but as an overall state-wide rule, all this will accomplish is to force trophy wishes upon people that just want to hunt for fun and enjoy the meat. Its really an embarrassment to the TWC for doing this and caving to such a small percentage of hunters forcing their ideas of hunting on others. And to repeat, there has been ZERO biological data put forth by any side to show this was either necessary, or beneficial to the deer herd. I hope those that are thrilled with this decision, are also going to be thrilled one day when a very small percentage of anglers that put pressure on the TWC to ban TX fishing, “because it will allow fish to grow bigger”. Don’t think that’s a possibility, you are living in lala land.

I Agree emoRedface

drumking

Spur, if we can't get the gill nets banned from our lake, how in the world do you think we might possibly get bass tournaments banned? There seems to be a dog fight tx going on every night or nearly every night, not even counting the different clubs that come in and have tournaments on the weekend. I really don't care about the bass tournaments since I don't fish for bass anymore, but if bass fishing was my number 1 pursuit, I would be against a tournament every stinking night. But, I don't have a dog in this hunt. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

SpurHunter

One more thought. Im still trying to wrap my head around the 2 buckers that claim they are not trophy hunters. Since its been stated multiple times in these discussions, there is NO BIOLOGICAL reason for reducing the buck limit. The only reason is for the ATTEMPT to create more trophy deer. This entire debate comes back to this fact, and any attempt to negate this fact is utter nonsense. I don't shoot 3 bucks, never have, so this doesn't personally effect me at this time, but its the trophy mentality that made TWC make this change, and that means the trophy hunters got their wish and imposing THEIR beliefs across the entire state. This is an indisputable fact, show me a legitimate reason otherwise.

SpurHunter

drumking - 5/27/2015 12:27 PM

Spur, if we can't get the gill nets banned from our lake, how in the world do you think we might possibly get bass tournaments banned? There seems to be a dog fight tx going on every night or nearly every night, not even counting the different clubs that come in and have tournaments on the weekend. I really don't care about the bass tournaments since I don't fish for bass anymore, but if bass fishing was my number 1 pursuit, I would be against a tournament every stinking night. But, I don't have a dog in this hunt. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

I am not, and dont plan on ever attempting to ban bass TX fishing, what I do know is that given the right players, it could happen.

churly

I do fish bass txs. I am 100% for the implementation of a permitting process for bass txs. There are Way too many!

Back to the buck discussion....I have personally been managing/ hunting 1000 acres of TN rock for almost 18 years. I can 100% guarantee you the new regs wont increase the average antler size or number of the mature bucks we have.

When I hunt TN, I am hunting for the oldest deer I can harvest, and we manage for age/heard health. Hunting shows and QDMA have given hunters in state's like TN unrealistic expectations of how big of a buck they can grow. That being said, I have several leases in KY, and spent many hours in a tree in illinoiis, and the oldest/ biggest buck I have ever harvested came from that 1000 acres of TN rock.....