NEW PRO XS

fischnrod

If you were going to buy a new pro xs outboard a 225 or a 200 hp what would be your choice and why other than the fact the 225 will be faster ?

south599

Depends on the boat. id go 250 pro xs instead of 225. Almost the same exact motor.

Hbnel5on

I run an 06 pro xs on my ranger 491 and have no problems at all. Now I don't fly, but I get around topped out at about 63 mph. I love my merc! But it would just depend on the boat and as stated above if you could go with a 250 it wouldn't be a bad idea

r.arnwine

I gave a XS225 on a 21 XRS Bullet, runs 76-78mph everyday. much better on fuel than my previous XS250 in all rpm ranges. probably has hurt me in selling due to the lower hp.

south599

The reason Id say 250 is because one I like speed. Two is that say you like to run up to 60 mph. And say that running 60 with that 200 means you are wot. Then say you are only pushing 4500 with the 250. The 250 is "LIKELY" to live longer. And it'll get close to or better fuel efficiency in the scenario above.
How far apart in age were the two motors?
Now if you are shopping based on price and dont care about speed then you should probably go with the 200.

fischnrod

Hbnel5on - 3/12/2015 1:41 PM

I run an 06 pro xs on my ranger 491 and have no problems at all. Now I don't fly, but I get around topped out at about 63 mph. I love my merc! But it would just depend on the boat and as stated above if you could go with a 250 it wouldn't be a bad idea

What size motor on your Ranger ?

smughal31

I have a brand new 200 pro xs. It is on my old 1999 ranger 487vs and with just me and light tackle it will do a little over 70mph with everything just right. My boat is 20 foot 3inches but is only rated for a 200. Not sure I would even want to put anything bigger on there lol.

fischnrod

smughal31 - 3/13/2015 12:27 AM

I have a brand new 200 pro xs. It is on my old 1999 ranger 487vs and with just me and light tackle it will do a little over 70mph with everything just right. My boat is 20 foot 3inches but is only rated for a 200. Not sure I would even want to put anything bigger on there lol.

70 mph is plenty fast for me

fischnrod

If everything goes as planned the pro xs will be on a 20ft Blazer & I think it's about 1300 lbs , a little lighter than the Ranger so it should do fine with either motor

south599

Which did you end up with? It would prob do 75 give or take With the blazer and the 200

BulletTJ

I know it wasn't one of the choices but if the boat is rated for a 250 Pro XS get it. I really don't like to under power a boat. I have a 250 Pro XS on my Bullet which the Blazer is a lot like. If I had went with a smaller motor with the load I carry the hole shot would have been much slower. Not to mention what would happen when I fill the live well up with water and a couple of fish. Like someone else said, I have never thought for one second that I wish I had less power on the back. You don't have to press the pedal all the way to the floor. It gets great gas mileage because the motor isn't straining to run at above average speeds. I have owned 150 hp motors that got a lot worse mileage than my current motor because they were running wide open to reach my cruising speed. I cruise around at about 4500 rpms which is around 65 miles per hour on my boat. It is nice to know if I need more speed there is plenty left. Once in the past I under powered a boat and I will never make that mistake again. The only thing worse than paying for a new motor is paying for a new motor and being sick you didn't get more power. Just my honest opinion from my mistakes from the past. Good luck and see you on the water.

fischnrod

south599 - 3/13/2015 10:04 PM

Which did you end up with? It would prob do 75 give or take With the blazer and the 200

I'm still looking around for the best deal right now..

Bullet tj===It's not rated being over 20 ft. but recommended 200-250 with the minimum being 200