kayak fishing

emuman

This is my first post on the forum, my name is mark I fish in a nucanoe frontier I like to fish or paddle in the surrounding areas. I mostly fish alone and would be interested in finding persons to do the same. Would be nice to find someone to fish with so we could stage vehicles for trips I'm 55 yrs of age but i will fish with anyone. If anyone is interested in planning some trips you can email me at mbeard180@gmail.com and I will get back to you! Looking forward to meeting some kayak fishermen or paddlers! Thanks

kennethlee

I have a friend of mine and his son that fish with the bassyakkers and have heard nothing but great things about them. check them out. You want be disappointed.

Blue76

I do a little Kayak fishing as well. I have a bass boat but still like to fish from the kayak. My daughters fish with me and a friend of mine just bought a new kayak last week. The Bass Yakkers group is well organized and a lot of fun.

Bdycus10

I am saving up for a fishing kayak so I can fish lakes and tournaments this summer ,I've narrowed my search down to three kayaks old town predator , feel free lure , or Jackson coors HD. Am fairly new to the forumns so If someone could give me some if any advice on where to learn a little more about these specific models , from someone with experience with them would be greatly appreciated . Thanks !

emuman

Hey bdycus10 not sure about other brands but check out nucanoe frontiers not the fastest yak but stability is great plus you can run a trolling motor if desired. Had mine a year now and I love it and you can fish standing or sitting. Plus ability to fish one or two. Check them out! See you on the water!

Blue76

I have two... Both are Wilderness Systems brand... I have a Ride 135 and a Tarpon 120. The 135 is a little overkill. it is super stable... like a rock... but it is as heavy as a rock... like almost 90 lbs. The Tarpon is more than stable enough for fishing in most any water and much lighter. A co worker has a Tarpon 100 that he likes pretty good. You can spend whatever you want on these things. The ones you mentioned are all good Kayaks.... it is really more about how you like them laid out... you will not know that until you get in them and fish.

If I were buying new today... it would either be the Ride 115X or the Native Slayer... check out the slayer at Sportsmans Warehouse.... For great deals go to hook1's web site. Good guys and free shipping.

Bdycus10

thanks emuman and blue76 I really appreciate it, Ive never stood up in a kayak, do either one of you guys know if the whole standing in a kayak is something that is a convenience to have and you use it a lot or is it just something nice to have whenever the waters stable?

Blue76

Well... I can stand in mine but I never do. I see ppl doing it but for me I am just fine sitting. One thing I wish I had is an adjustable height seat. A low seat is better for paddling but a higher seat makes gushing easier. I have sat in mine for over 6 hours straight with no problems.

I have a bass boat but I still love fishing from the kayak.

I've got a Perception Sport Striker 11.5'. I've fish out of it a few times. It seems to fish good. Its stable, light and will turn on a dime. I haven't tried standing up in it yet. I want to go to a kayak tx and see how everyone else has theirs set up. I may try to fish a kayak tx in the near future.

Bdycus10

I want to as well but the whole thing is finding when the tournaments are. I have a kayak that is not a fishing kayak , its strictly a sit in recreational kayak and man it is the most uncomfortable thing to sit in when fishing especially for longer than a hour at a time which is almost everytime i go. I have used it for little creeks and streams but wouldn't dare take it on any lake. Thats why I'm looking for a yak thats comfy and stable enough to stand in bc I'm not able to sit in one place for a long time without getting irritated haha.

Mine seems to be pretty comfortable. I'm a little gun shy about taking mine out on the lake though. All those big boats running around and I'm not the best swimmer. I've had mine on South Chickamauga creek. So far, I'm happy with it. I just need to finish setting it up.

Bdycus10

sweet well I'm starting to lean towards the wilderness ride 115x. It seems to be a pretty solid boat for what it is. It will be a couple months before i buy but just trying to do my research before I rush into things. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!!!

Price and the reviews was a big factor for my kayak. Also check out Dicks Sporting Goods. They seem to have some of the best sales and prices locally. My girlfriend and I bought our canoe and kayak there last summer.

Bdycus10

hahahaha funny you should say that , I just started working at Dicks Sporting Goods and i will be able to get the 25% discount but they don't have the ideal stand up kayaks you would want for the lake . they have a field and stream line of kayaks but thats bout the best ones that i have seen from there , or one that I would even consider buying. Although money is a huge factor , The way I look at it is I kind of sort of know what I want in a fishing kayak and if I'm gonna spend 500 dollars for a kayak that doesn't have what I want well then I just wasted that 500 dollars when I could save up the extra 300-400 dollars and buy something I know that I want . Even if its used as long as nothings wrong with it and it is what I want in that yak then ill be fine.haha

I understand what your saying. I'm not sure how far I'm gonna take this fishing kayak thing yet? What I bought is excellent for starting out with. Until I figure out how far I'm going to go with this hobby. Good luck with the purchase.

Dustin

Look into the Ascend 12 footer at Bass Pro. I have an older one and really like it. I like the way they are making the new ones and plan on picking one up when I can.

porthos33

A cheap alternative I found for about 50 bucks was a small 8ft raft with 2 oars. You can get them at wal mart. Mine is the camouflage color. Sit in the rear and you can put plenty of rods and tackle up in front between your legs. I keep a little anchor in there also. I've sat in it for up to 10hours fishing and it's pretty comfy but I would recommend putting a small seat to support your back better. Definitely not as fast as a kayak but in small lakes and ponds it's perfect!