eagle claw 410/413 substitutes?

bassinbrian

Just started pouring my own jigs.using a do it sparky mold. It calls for a eagle claw 410 or 413 hook. I tried a mustad 32786 model but can't get the lead to form the collar, almost seems like hook is to thick? Any help appreciated.

chillerman69

The Mustad you're using is actually .001" smaller in diameter than the 410, so your hook shouldn't be an issue Any time I have incomplete pours, I pre-heat the mold. I use a hot pot to heat the lead and just lay the mold on top of it, after is fully melted. If you haven't got a Barlow's Catalog and you're halfway interested in making your own, you should go online and request a free one. Hope this helps or makes somebody else want to add something. good luck

DinkDink

Interested in hearing the responses on this I have the same mold and have been using the eagle claw hooks and have been wondering the same thing.

bassinbrian

Vie tried everything to get a complete pour. I heated the mold by setting the pot on it, same results. I did get a few good pours by tilting the mold a little bit, but its not consistent.