illegal net

epaul

there was a net placed in the middle of this slough Fairview yesterday. I don't think it is legal I took this pic with my phone I'm out just in the river. TRWA was called but not enough man power said don't have anyone to send so what to do?

Attachments

• Image0.jpg
    Image0.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 295

mjwendorf

Here is the law....
"No commercial fishing gear may be fished within 100 yards of the mouth of any river, creek, slough, inlet, or outlet, nor shall any commercial fishing gear be set so as to extend more than three-quarters (3/4) across any stream, river,chute, or embayment.

epaul

the creek mouth that is underwater is about 15 to 25 yards to the left. the net went out to the river right in under me so are you saying it is or not legal

Javelin33

90% of them are illegal. Twra is to busy checking boat registrations to stop something that actually hurts the lake. The problem I have with the nets is that they are never marked with anything other than a floating piece of styrofoam or bottle.

shovelbill

Javelin33 - 11/27/2014 5:15 PM

90% of them are illegal. Twra is to busy checking boat registrations to stop something that actually hurts the lake. The problem I have with the nets is that they are never marked with anything other than a floating piece of styrofoam or bottle.

How do you know what percentage of those nets are illegal? And the reason they don't mark their nets and lines well is it makes it harder for the folk like Mr. Harvick to find them and cut them. If you're gonna cut their lines and nets you might as well go to the boat ramp, cut the tires and smash the windshield on their truck. If your gonna interfere with someone making a living, do it right. Sure, some of them do things illegal. But every day you can see truck drivers speeding and hopped up on pills flying down the interstate. Why don't you sneak into the truckstop at night and put sugar in their fuel tank? Same principle. Just remember, if you cut someone's line or net it is YOU who are doing something illegal and may go to jail.

Javelin33

Never said I cut there nets. I said I've never ever seen one that's marked correctly, which is the part that's illegal. It also makes me mad having to cut a net out of my prop or trolling motor.

jighead

shovelbill - 11/27/2014 8:09 PM

Javelin33 - 11/27/2014 5:15 PM

How do you know what percentage of those nets are illegal? And the reason they don't mark their nets and lines well is it makes it harder for the folk like Mr. Harvick to find them and cut them. If you're gonna cut their lines and nets you might as well go to the boat ramp, cut the tires and smash the windshield on their truck. If your gonna interfere with someone making a living, do it right. Sure, some of them do things illegal. But every day you can see truck drivers speeding and hopped up on pills flying down the interstate. Why don't you sneak into the truckstop at night and put sugar in their fuel tank? Same principle. Just remember, if you cut someone's line or net it is YOU who are doing something illegal and may go to jail.

You must be a real piece of .....(work) to start bashing truck drivers over a illegal net post.
hopped up, pill popping truck drivers? from your quote it sounds like you would do a chicken sh t thing like that.
I've been a truck driver for 42 years and I don't take comments like yours lightly you have no idea what you are talking about cause you have your head up your ass
anyone that would post something like yours probably does know their way around a truck stop at night.

south599

What about pulling the net too the side? Out of the illegal zone (not reseting) it? Should get the message across.

porthos33

Javelin33 - 11/27/2014 9:32 PM Never said I cut there nets. I said I've never ever seen one that's marked correctly, which is the part that's illegal. It also makes me mad having to cut a net out of my prop or trolling motor.
</p>

</p>

</p>

<font size="1">I also never see info on them and thought it was the law to posta tag with info.</font>Bad thingabout people wanting to cut them iiswhat about the fish that are stuck in them when they get cut.Are they left for dead?</p>

river rat

I agree with you Jighead I drove trucks for 40+ years mostly as an owner operator It is not an easy job neither is gillnetting I spent a summer in Alaska gillnetting salmon. In anything there are a few bad apples that spoil the reputation of the majority. You have to consider the source of the uninformed like shovebill and just disregard it. He is probably one of those that races to beat the big truck and cut them off. TWRA have a large job to do and I am sure if they get reports of illegal nets they will check those areas at their earliest opportunity. I have worked with them as a member of the Coast Guard Auxilary and they are a great bunch of officers

Sniperchoke

When I find one illegally placed or not marked I call TWRA. They have never shown up when I have called. So I release the fish out of them, cut them to pieces and leave them at the HBSP office hoping they will get in touch with the owners. I have tangled with too many of them with my motor. If you wanna place a net either do it within the law in a visible way or suffer the consequences!

epaul

easeup guys the net was marked on the big end of the float. I don't like it that they are able to use nets but at the same time I'm not gona mess with them. not know all about the ecosystem of the river it maybe a necessary evil to keep balance and some make a legal living. to me this placement of the net is illegal. I don't like seeing rod and reel fishermen using the rig with more than 3 hooks either. I waited to see if they was gona come and check the net and to let them know the net was in the wrong place but no one came. that's why I didn't post name and all cause I don't want this guy being hasseled by some one seeing the post. best I can tell it is illegal placement.

shovelbill

You missed my point, Jighead. There are a FEW truck drivers out there like that. Just like there are a few net fishermen that do things illegal and unethical. Just because there are a few you don't trash the trucks of everybody in the truckstop. I happen to be very thankful for truck drivers. Without them what would my family eat? And I drove a truck for a year or two.

riverrat1081

The reason why twra does not come to check out the illegally placed net because the owner of the net receives a $25 doller fine.

MagicMan72

There were four last Saturday that stretched from the point at Camp Columbus all the way over to the next point in 6feet of water from top to bottom. There is no way that any bass could get by them going to the shallow water. They were on top of the water and we almost ran over them before we saw them. We saw the guy pulling bass out of them and just throwing them to the side, no telling how many he killed. We need to start carrying big hooks to pull them to the side when we see them. Who is going to pay for our lower unit when we hit one?