Strange happenings with my HB 598 GPS and Lakemaster map

SlabDog

Today I was riding down the lake about 40MPH (top speed for my Merc 75hp) with my Brand New HB 598, bought last week, on the GPS with a new Lakemaster 2014 map. The image kept flipping showing me going up then down on the display. I had it set for the direction of travel to be up on the screen. Has anyone else had this happen? It did it several times today. Also, how long should this unit take to reload the charts when zooming in or out? It's taking mine from 10 to 20 seconds most of the time. Later in the day, As I was running down the river, the map couldn't keep up even for my slow boat. At times the map would be white for 1/3 of the top of the screen, which was annoying because that was the direction I was going, yet the boat and direction arrow were showing. It would catch up, but kept repeating this. Any one have an idea what's up?

Thanks!!

PS....According to HB the 798 and 598 are the same except for 3 or 4 bells and whistles, so if you have either, is this normal for your units? I'm just trying to see if this is normal, even though I wouldn't think it is, before I call HB.

Dgreen

I think its just a slow processor in that unit. My 798 is like that with the lakemaster hd card but its fine with navionics. The hd card has a lot more info to process. It loads slow but works fine when I'm fishing or moving slow. It also works better the further your zoomed out. The 698 replaced the 598 & 798 and I think it has a faster processor. You might call humminbird to see if they can help. They have a good customer service dept. If you get any info please let us know.

Dgreen

Fuzzy - 11/22/2014 11:21 AM

Do you have the latest firmware?
I looked on humminbird and there was a new update for my 798 that came out 7/31/2014. Its now up to date. Thanks for the reminder! emoThumbsup If the rain holds off tomorrow I my see if it helped.

Daniel Tn

Our 598 and 1199 does the same thing. Some days they are fine. Some days they will do that. It gets very frustrating when you are trolling and trying to navigate to way points. Some times it's like the GPS doesn't know whether you are coming or going.

SlabDog

Well, apparently it's the file size of the Lakemaster HD map. I have an older Navionics that works prefect. It did seem to do better today by my taking the advise to reduce the zoom. This helped with the map being slow to keep up with my boat while running on plane. It still took a bit to load the map on zoom changes, but seemed to average between 8 to 12 seconds. I can live with that because I do love the detail and the ability to highlights certain depths that I choose and other options the map gives.
Thanks for the comments!

SlabDog

Fuzzy - 11/24/2014 7:09 PM

I love the lakemasters ability to "color" depth. Shows channels so much better.

I do too. It's great for looking for spots to fish that are at a certain depth. I also have mine set up to show me all the areas of the lake that's less than 5 ft deep. It shows up in red.

SlabDog - 11/24/2014 7:13 PM

I do too. It's great for looking for spots to fish that are at a certain depth. I also have mine set up to show me all the areas of the lake that's less than 5 ft deep. It shows up in red.

I agree, the ability to highlight areas less than 5 feet is an excellent safety factor, especially for this time of year. Just remember to adjust the water level offset by about 6 feet to correct the maps for the current elevation.

Tennfisher

SlabDog

tennfisher - 12/6/2014 8:49 PM

SlabDog - 11/24/2014 7:13 PM

I agree, the ability to highlight areas less than 5 feet is an excellent safety factor, especially for this time of year. Just remember to adjust the water level offset by about 6 feet to correct the maps for the current elevation.

Tennfisher

Yes Tennfisher. That's very important. However, I've been adjusting my offset by synchronizing the depth showing on the map to my actual depth reading on the unit. When they are the same, you're good to go.

Doug V

Which direction do you have Map Orientation? Set it to North Up.

SlabDog

Thanks Doug. I've found that if I get it on a certain zoom level it does good. There is a sweet spot in the zoom value for the map to work best.