Looking at new trolling motor advice pls.

TheFisherman

I am a handicapped person and my ankles and feet are gradually getting weaker and weaker. It's a form of MD called CMT which only affects hands and feet. I've enjoyed my OMC 12/24 since I bought my boat new... but it's getting more and more work to hang on with one foot on the pedal and lean on the butt seat and fish too. My boat is a 20XD Bullet, and my OMC is mounted on the side Tennessee style, which I love. The troller I am considering is the Motorguide Xi5 with GPS and wirless remote so I don't even have to use my feet, and the features that track headings and more or less anchor the boat at one spot. Problem is, I don't want to hang that monster of a mount across the bow, but would love to mount it somehow Tennessee style as the OMC is mounted now. the mount for the Xi5 is rather short front to back, and given the pointy nose of the Bullet, is that going to be a problem for me? Has anyone mounted one on a Bullet in the way I want to? Any thoughts will be appreciated. I want to prolong my years of fishing as long as I can...

TNsnow

You may have to have a plate fabricated to mount between the Xi5 and the boat that would extend out over the nose.
Also consider if you will like the way to deploy and stow the motor. It is different that the old style you are used to.

djsmarinelectronics

Not sure what you mean by Tennessee Style?

TheFisherman

Tennessee style means mounted to the side, and parallel to the length of the boat. I don't like looking over a trolling motor while driving the boat at high speeds. THe fact that it's off-center has very little affect on its movement of the boat. More people mount them over the nose of the boat than this way, but it's just my way. I like being able to see the nose of my boat while driving it.

TheFisherman

TNsnow - 9/1/2014 7:36 PM

You may have to have a plate fabricated to mount between the Xi5 and the boat that would extend out over the nose.
Also consider if you will like the way to deploy and stow the motor. It is different that the old style you are used to.

Thanks, I probably won't like the way they retract, but am willing to llive with it.

TheFisherman

djsmarinelectronics - 9/2/2014 4:06 PM

Not sure what you mean by Tennessee Style?

See my response above about Tennessee style - forgot to quote. Didn't know if that woulkd notify you or not!!!

THanks to everyone for their help.

Floatingphil

Obviously, you have never heard rule #7: Do not think about buying something, JUST DO IT!!!
I know a good home for your old, worn out OMC and you can visit it any time you want.
Or better yet, go ahead and order a 21XRD with all the goodies.

Phil

TheFisherman

Floatingphil - 9/2/2014 7:49 PM

Obviously, you have never heard rule #7: Do not think about buying something, JUST DO IT!!!
I know a good home for your old, worn out OMC and you can visit it any time you want.
Or better yet, go ahead and order a 21XRD with all the goodies.

Phil
No problem Phil.... As soon as I do get a new one we'll talk! For you, a special price (Uh Oh! LOL) To jump all the way to Rule No. 7, you must have learned Rules 1-6. And it seems you catch more than me every time we fish too!!!! See ya soon!

foodsaver

get one of the new minn kotas that they showed off at icast. Deploy/stow with a button and you have the ipilot remote to steer with.

Randall53

I have a minnkota with I-pilot and it's amazing. I don't care if the wind blows anymore and don't have an anchor even in the boat!