Go Big Orange.....

wjhfish

I was excited watching how the Vols played. They looked like a team that Tennessee has not seen in too long. They played with enthusiasm and looked like they wanted to be out there and was having fun. From what we have had the past several years, I am looking forward to what is to come. Go Vols.....

drumking

It was good seeing the Vols play with passion for a change. Lots of promise for the future. However, there are many troubling things that need to get corrected on this year's team before we get so high. Run blocking needs to make a quantum leap. FG kickers are pitiful. 3rd down conversions must get significantly better. Tackling was the best I have seen in many years. This must carry over to next games.

The defensive line for Utah State was their strongest unit, so maybe that is the reason for the lack of run production. But the Vols will face much better d-lines than Utah State. I do think that a bowl game is possible now. Beating a good Utah State team that many of the national writers picked to win the game by a wider margin than they have experienced in many years was a big surprise to all, I'm sure.

All in all, a very good showing for all the freshmen. I believe the paper said 21 freshmen played in the game. Great for the future. Thank goodness that we have Butch Jones as coach. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

Hook1

We hear this every year while the Vols are playing UT Martin and Lee University lol. We won't truly know what they've got until conference play begins. It's been too long since the Vols were real SEC competitors in my opinion.

VolsFan24

I personally dont like Worley. He cant throw the deep ball and i feel like his timing is always just off even on a completion. So i dont see the deep threat playing a part. Without that deep threat defenses can play almost a red zone type D and that pretty much elliminates our running game. We have good recievers and i liked what i saw from Hurd, but still too young at many positions and no QB to do real damage this year. 6-6 will be a good season, 7-5 a great season. I see 6-6 and a bowl game.

fish4thepeck

So true Hook but vegas did have it down to 4 1/2 at kick off! We will be lucky to get in a bowl this year but I do see a faster team and improvement. I think they will be a lot more fun to watch than the past few years. By the way I do think Utah State is just a tad better than Lee and Martin probabaly on the same level as say a West Virginia ;)

wjhfish

Hook1 - 9/1/2014 3:26 PM

We hear this every year while the Vols are playing UT Martin and Lee University lol. We won't truly know what they've got until conference play begins. It's been too long since the Vols were real SEC competitors in my opinion.

Don't sound so scared, we just said the Vols looked better than they have in a long time, but I understand you being nervous about the Vols getting better.

GAfisherman

wjhfish - 9/1/2014 11:29 AM

Don't sound so scared, we just said the Vols looked better than they have in a long time, but I understand you being nervous about the Vols getting better.

Haha! Nervous? I think that is the last thing that Hook is feeling. It is just comical. Last year the same thing was said after the first game. Got to love the optimism after week one.

BulletTJ

It is true it was just the first game. But the defense has a lot more speed, is playing with excitement, making open field tackles and gets to the ball quick. Much improvement over the last few years. The Vols are young and will only get better, if they can stay healthy. Depth is still an issue. I do believe the Vols are headed in the right direction and that is something we havent been able to say in a long time. GO VOLS! Haters are going to hate. emoBang

drumking

GAfisherman - 9/2/2014 11:38 AM

wjhfish - 9/1/2014 11:29 AM

Haha! Nervous? I think that is the last thing that Hook is feeling. It is just comical. Last year the same thing was said after the first game. Got to love the optimism after week one.

Georgia shouldn't have to worry about the Vols at all after nearly losing to them last year with a team that had no speed. Don't worry. Just take the win for granted. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

GAfisherman

The UT/UGA game is always close. Look at the history of that game. It never fails that it is close no matter how down a team is. UT is headed in the right direction. I will agree with u on that

Hook1

Butch has definitely made improvements no doubt. I just don't know if they'll look this good come conference play that's all I meant.

drumking

Hook1 - 9/2/2014 1:28 PM

Butch has definitely made improvements no doubt. I just don't know if they'll look this good come conference play that's all I meant.

That is what we are all wondering about, but Utah State has played several big boys lately. Lost to Ohio State by 2 points. Lost to Southern Cal by 3 points. Led Auburn by 10 points with 3 minutes to go and lost by 4 points a couple of years ago. They had a linebacker that Mel Kiper had as the number one LB in college. He did get his knee hurt in 2nd quarter and was a big loss to Utah State. So, they weren't your ordinary chopped liver opponent. They had a Heisman candidate at QB and a very stout defense and still lost by 31 points. Good for the Vols, but they can't get over confident. It gets tougher from here on in. I think that 6-6 is very possible and maybe 7-5 if they get some good breaks. Can't go on losing O-linemen like they did in the first game though. Very thin on the O-line. Just my 0.02 worth. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

da83moon

Heck look at when we won against Cincinnati a couple years ago. They didn't lose another game that year, and we were terrible

190PROV

I thought the D looked pretty Dang good and Johnson I think will keep them motivated and playing hard but the Big O i am still leary of Woorley he has to man up and pull the ball out of the backs gut and run it to open up them a little space and willalso create him a little more time to throw also.BOTTOM LINE they played a complete game.ADDA BABY.GO VOLS!!!

VolsFan24

Im also pretty concerned about our D-line. Its also very young with no experience. But that means next year they should be pretty good. But by then AJ Johnson will be sorely missed. His passion is on another level so far this year.

wjhfish

Overall still pleased with how the vols played. Plenty of room for improvement, but as stated earlier they are young and will only get better. In my opinion Worley played an outstanding game. He was very accurate and ran the offense like a veteran q.b. This week will tell a lot about the vols and where they are at as a team. I still think they will surprise some teams this year. 7-5 is my guess for the season, and I will take that.