How do I fish this stuff?

Trickwrm

Hey guys I have to admit I am completely stumped! About a month ago (maybe a little more) I was catching a lot of fish around grass that hadn't topped out yet. Mainly big Hydrilla beds. But now that a lot of those areas are matted up I can't buy a bite! I've tried everything I know to do... Frogs, Horny Toads, Flukes, Trick Worms, TX rigs around the edges, crankbaits, Buzzbaits.... the list goes on but the result the same, NOTHING!!! Starting to get pretty frustrating to say the least. Just wondering if there is any way that I am overlooking. I guess I should add that the grass I have been fishing is mainly in creeks and the water temperature is 85-87, Most of the grass is matted but in some areas of the mats there are areas where it hasn't completely reached the surface yet. Depth ranges from 0-4' with matted grass then anywhere from 5-10' that hasn't reached the top. Don't know if I should be fishing on the main river, Kind of hard to do out of a kayak but at this point I am willing to do almost anything to put more fish in the boat! Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Has anyone ever fished up around the Hiwassee Island on the Main River? Doing some google map looking and it looks like it would be a neat place to get the kayak in and maybe catch some "Shallow River Fish" Thanks again guys!!!

Trickwrm

Also should add, I do not fish tournaments nor interested in anyone's secret fishing holes. PM's will be just as helpful for confidentiality purposes haha!

derek81

Fish the edge of the grass, usually around 6 feet deep and anything from texas rigged worms, spinner bait and swimbaits will all work. It's not quite time to catch them good on a frog yet, it will start up over the next month. Just go to the back of a pocket and fish the grass edges all the way out.

jason

Like Derek said, fish over the top or along the edges. Reaction baits seem to be more productive than feeding baits right now.