HOW DO YOU RUB YOUR BUTT

ahyde

GOING TO SMOKE A BOSTON BUTT WHAT RUBS DO YOU GUYS USE& HOW LONG COOK TIME THANKS.

derek81

Bad Byrons butt rub is some good stuff. Inject it will a little Dr.Pepper and coat it with yellow mustard to hold the dry rub then rub away. Always had good results doing this!

VolsFan24

A pretty good store bought rub I used last weekend was called "Applewood rub". It came in a round container. Pretty good stuff. Spread yellow mustard all over that baby and rub that rub on there, wrap in foil and put in fridge over night. Take out about 30 minutes before firing up the smoker and put more rub on there and leave uncovered so it gets closer to room temp. Get smoker between 225-250 degrees. I add wood chips the first 6-8 hours then wrap in foil for the last 2-3 hours. Total cook time depends, i use a thermometer and when it hits 190 degrees i take it out, wrap in foil, and put in an empty cooler. Usually takes me anywhere between 10-14 hours. Let sit for about 45 min - hour then pull it apart with your hands and enjoy. Nothing like that first bite of the bark to see how it came out!!!

Read the comment below about injecting and it reminded me, mix some water, apple cider vinegar, and that rub in a cup and inject away in the boston butt. Good luck! Take pictures so the rest of us can salivate.

wjhfish

Look up Chris Lily's butt rub recipe. It is the best I have used. There is a recipe for the rub and a recipe for the injection. Very, Very Good!!!!!!!!! I still believe the true secret to a great Boston butt is how you cook it. If is doesn't come out edible then it doesn't matter what you rub on it.

enmreal

Rub all you want. I baste mine with a basting sauce every 1.5-2 hours. The real key IMO is the use of "green" hickory for your smoke flavor. As far as time to cook? Depends on the heat temp that you cook at and the type of cooker. But no matter what type, it ain't done til it's done. The pork must be 185-190. I usually do at least 12 butts every time I smoke. I usually wrap the butts in HD aluminum foil and store it over night in a super efficient cooler. The next morning I pull the still hot pork and vacuum seal. Like I said, my key is "green" hickory, usually cut the day before I smoke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 463

Mansell82

Make your own rub! As a base, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup paprika, 1/4 cup kosher salt, and 2 Tablespoons black pepper. This by itself would be good, but experiment with small amounts (1-2 teaspoons) of other things like cayenne, garlic powder, or onion powder. I use a ceramic egg smoker which holds low temps extremely well. I'll smoke an 8 pound butt for 10-12 hours @ 225 Fahrenheit. Look for an internal meat temp of around 190 Fahrenheit. I like this website http://amazingribs.com

drumking

Oldman - 8/29/2014 2:18 PM

never mind

I know what you were thinking, Oldman. emoTskTsk emoTskTsk emoBigsmile emoGeezer

EricM

Pretty much the same as a dog scooting across the carpet............