ALS ice bucket challenge

waiting on shad

what do you think about someone who was challenged an wont do it or wont donate either , come on its for a real good cause

lets show the how the Chattanooga Anglers do it and post your vidieos , i did it an on of the people i challenged did not do it an he's

a pretty well known Angler on chic. lake let me know what yall think

churly

Give it a rest. Most of us are over it. Over $100million donated donated, great, lets move along.

Cstick1

I was challenged and didn't do it..they're using your money for stem cell research..which I don't see how anyone can be for..making babies just for research? I hope they find a cure, but not like that. So I gave my money to my church where I know it will be used for good

VolsFan24

I was challeneged and when i told the guy i wasnt doing the video and that I would donate $25, he got mad and said i had to donate the required $100. I told him no chance, ill give what i can give. I understand its for awareness and a good cause, but its way passed that, its trendy now, like those "harlem shake" videos. Its the main reason people are still doing it, they want to be involved with what everyone else is doing. Im over it. How many copy cat challenges do you think will come up for every other disease? I bet this "awareness"/trendyness isnt going away anytime soon. Its amazing what it has done for raising money, but awareness is at its all time high and just donate anonymously, dont announce it to the world.

fishinvol

I gladly did it and donated what I could to a local family who is dealing with it. Now, anyone that is over it , I get it. It gets tiresome seeing all the videos, but it's obviously worked. If there are copycats and it works for those diseases, that's great too. I have a family member with a disease and I hope beyond hope there is a copycat that raises money and awareness for her disease, because I think it's over looked in a big way especially in our general area. Weather in the public eye or not.

Dropshot

Staff member
The way I look at it, if you want to do it, then do it. Personally, I prefer to simply write a check to the 2-3 charities I choose to support without needing to be on video. Let's be honest, many of those doing the videos will not donate a nickel. No doubt, it has been a marketing coup for ALS, which is a terrible disease.

derek81

fishinvol - 8/27/2014 2:07 PM

I gladly did it and donated what I could to a local family who is dealing with it. Now, anyone that is over it , I get it. It gets tiresome seeing all the videos, but it's obviously worked. If there are copycats and it works for those diseases, that's great too. I have a family member with a disease and I hope beyond hope there is a copycat that raises money and awareness for her disease, because I think it's over looked in a big way especially in our general area. Weather in the public eye or not.

Chris, that is what we should all do, donate to a family in need. These foundations and charities are as greedy as they come. Here is some food for thought.

Where Does the Money Contributed to the ALS Association Go?

So where does the money donated to the ALS Association actually go? You may be surprised to find out that the Association itself claims that only 27% of its funds go towards research.

ALS Association fye2014 ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Do You Know What You Are Supporting?

We pulled up their 2013 tax returns to take a closer look at how their funds are spent. Here are the salaries for the leadership of the group:

Jane H. Gilbert – President and CEO – $339,475.00
Daniel M. Reznikov – Chief Financial Officer – $201,260.00
Steve Gibson – Chief Public Policy Officer – $182,862.00
Kimberly Maginnis - Chief of Care Services Officer – $160,646.00
Lance Slaughter - Chief Chapter Relations and Development Officer – $152,692.00
Michelle Keegan – Chief Development Officer – $178,744.00
John Applegate – Association Finance Officer – $118.726.00
David Moses – Director of Planned Giving – $112,509.00
Carrie Munk – Chief Communications and Marketing Officer – $142,875.00
Patrick Wildman – Director of Public Policy – $112,358.00
Kathi Kromer – Director of State Advocacy – $110,661.00

Total administration costs, as seen in the pie chart above, were just under $2 million. “Other salaries and wages” (Part IX line 7) were $3.6 million, with another half million dollars in “pension plans” and “employee benefits.” Expenses for non-employee labor were about $4 million, and “travel expenses” exceeded $1.3 million.

So total costs for labor to run the association was around $12.5 million, from revenues received totaling $24 million.

Over 50% of what the ALS Association receives appears to support salaries of people working for the Association, based on these tax returns.

So what about the rest of the revenue?

Almost $1 million was spent on “Lobbying” (Schedule C Part II 2a). Here is what they wrote concerning their Lobbying efforts:

Explanation: The purpose of our advocacy program is to sensitize legislators to, and obtain their sympathy for, the plight of ALS victims, patients and their families, and to influence legislation regarding the appropriation of federal funds for ALS research and the use and cost to patients of “orphan” drugs.

The largest amount of what is remaining is: “Grants and other assistance to governments and organizations in the United States” (Part IX line 1) – $6.2 million. This amount is itemized on Schedule 1. Almost all of these recipients are medical schools, with strong ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

The ALS Association was started in 1985, and they still have not invested in any new cures for ALS. One of the latest failures was Biogen’s drug dexpramipexole, which halted research in early 2013. The drug was in research for more than 10 years at an estimated cost of between $75 million and $100 million, but was abandoned in last stage development due to poor results. (Source.)

Mudman

I'm over it already I don't understand your people do thing without researching them out just another fade

elwestb

... but it sure has created a tremendous amount awareness and raised a lot of money fro ALS research. Before this challenge started, how many people do you think could actually tell you what ALS? Most people never heard of it. Now they know.

Hook1

I could've Earl. I've lost family members to Alzheimer's disease and my wife's grandfather died because of complications from ALS. We raise money and do the walk every year.