Humminbird SI DI help

Mansell82

Got this weird line that constantly shows on the left of the water column in the SI and noticed today it actually shows in the DI too. I can make it go away when I play with the settings, but those aren't optimal settings. My transducer is transom mounted following Humminbird installation procedure. Motor is on jackplate, nothing is obstructing the transducer. Anyone know what's causing it? Here's a screenshot

Attachments

• rsz_2weirdlineonsidi.png
    rsz_2weirdlineonsidi.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 268

HunterDuck25

Looks like prop wash to me. Your transducer being mounted starboard side makes the lines more noticeable on the LH side of the SI and faint on the RH. Does it go away at the original settings?

Disclaimer : I am no expert at electronics.

Mansell82

Thanks HunterDuck25, I did some googling and found some similar Q&A with Doug Vahrenberg on another forum. It is definitely prop wash. He doesn't concern himself with it as long as the SI is getting good signals otherwise. Mainly, I think it's messing with my DI. Think raising the transducer would help? Right now it's slightly lower than the bottom of the hull.

HunterDuck25

You're welcome.

It sounds like you have it mounted correctly vertically, I would look more toward horizontal positioning.
Humminbird suggests mounting it 15" from the prop.

How far is your transducer mounted from the prop?
Pictures of the transom would probably be a big help also.

Maybe someone more experienced with trouble shooting transducers will chime in.

Carl

The bright white line looks more than prop wash, and at 3 mph i have never seen propwash unless i circled back. Is your jack plate dropping lower than the transducer?

Blue76

Disclaimer here... I am by far an expert... pretty much a rookie...

Is this a new unit for you? If not did it ever work properly? Normally when I see prop wash I see it on both sides... not in just a consistent line only on one side. I first thought like someone else said.. maybe part of the jack plate is in the water causing the disturbance. BUT.... it is so steady and confined to a think line I want to think something is wrong with the transducer causing this.

The only thing that puzzles me with that idea is why it is only between 2' and 5' down... not above or below that... prop wash isn't that consistent and I wouldn't think a faulty transducer would act like that.

Very strange... Doug V is the man... I bet he chimes in here.

jmergen

Maybe you need to mount it on another boat for a few months, like a Smoker Craft or something, to make sure you don't just have a faulty boat Drew. I would volunteer..hehe

Doug V

That is something blocking the left side SI beam need to lower the transducer.