Fishing trip of a lifetime

Jpxb2003

Just wanted to pass along a great experience that I recently had. While on vacation in Florida I got a chance to go tarpon fishing. My guide was Koby Kreiger ( you may know him from FLW). First of all, he is a top notch guide and had us on the fish. I had watched tarpon fishing shows, but that doesnt even come close to seeing it with my own eyes and hearing the drag sing when a 100+ lb fish is pulling on the other end. Without a doubt the nickname "the King" is deserved.

If any of you guys are in the gulf during prime tarpon season (May, June, July) you owe it to yourself to do it.

Jpxb2003

wbwilly - 7/21/2014 5:47 PM

Where is he located?

He lives on Pine Island. He fishes the Boca Grande area which is the tarpon capital of the world. I was staying in the Sarasota area and made an 1.5 hr drive and it was well worth it. Tarpon season in that area is about over, but ive already decided to go again next yearand Koby will definitely be getting my business again. I highly recommend him.

porthos33

What does a trip caost and how many hours and people does he take at a time? I think that would be a trip of a lifetime. Throw in a day of some goliath grouper and I might just never come back!

Jpxb2003

I dont know the full cost cause I went with 3 others, but I do know his license covers 4 people.

Liveliner

@jpxb2003 Did you see any of the monster Great Hammerhead that cruise those inlets this time of the year? "Fish on" also means watching for Great Hammers cutting your Tarpon in half. A 100lb plus Tarpon with the leader at the boat and a 20 foot Great Hammerhead thrashing about trying to eat it will get your attention..

Jpxb2003

One tarpon did get a bit nervous and head in close to the beach. I suspect a shark was close by.