Fishing With a Soldier on the Chic April 25 2015

SF Big Dog

2d10360.jpg

Gooooood morning Chattanooga Fishing Forum,

I hope this note finds you, your families, and boats ALL doing well.

Most of you here know Jerry Goodner ... He and I started talking yesterday about the 2015 Fishing With A Soldier event, and alot of you have ask time and again in the past, about an event on the Chic .... Jerry and I have decided the 2015 event will be somewhere between Chattanooga and Cleveland .... on the Chic. Date and place will be determinded only after your input.

I'm posting this in an effort to get your input, and find out how much support we can get from the Chattanooga area.

Sooooooooo fire away

You can contact me here, or my E-Mail address: sfbigdog1@aol.com

or, you can contact Jerry here, or his E-Mail address: bjgintn@charter.net

We look forward to hearing from you.

Rich
SF Big Dog

Strato-G

RE: Fishing With a Soldier on the Chic

Some of you have suggested this for this area...here is your chance to support the team effort to give a day of R&R & also enjoy participation. Meet, greet, eat, fish, tell tales, what else would you want ........looking to hear from supporters......... emoGeezer emoUSA emoThanks

Re: Fishing With a Soldier on the Chic

SF Big Dog,
I am stationed in Chattanooga with Mike Battery on Amnicola Hwy and would love to fish this or do what I can to help out. I know some of the reservists here fish as well. Do you or would you like for me to make a flyer or something as soon as the dates are created?

You can also reach me at 423 946 3561

SF Big Dog

usmcestep - 7/9/2014 10:14 AM

SF Big Dog,
I am stationed in Chattanooga with Mike Battery on Amnicola Hwy and would love to fish this or do what I can to help out. I know some of the reservists here fish as well. Do you or would you like for me to make a flyer or something as soon as the dates are created?

You can also reach me at 423 946 3561

Good morning Marine,

Let me start by saying "Thank You" for your service. Men and women like you, are what this whole thing is about.

A flyer would be great .................... and ALL of the people you know .... fellow Marines, Veterans past and present ... ALL branches of service.

This event will probally be sometime the end of April 2015 .... Ballpark ..... so we have a lot of work and planning to do. Will post information here as it becomes known.

Thank you again ..... Will look forward to seeing you and shaking your hand on the boat ramp.

Rich
AKA SF Big Dog

SF Big Dog

usmcestep - 7/9/2014 12:08 PM

SF Big Dog,
Thank you! Let me know what you would like to have on the flyer and I will see what my photoshop skills can produce

Chase

My personal E-Mail address is sfbigdog1@aol.com

If I had yours ..... I could send you a copy of what we have done in the past.

Rich

Mansell82

Hi guys I'm a Marine Corps veteran here in Chattanooga and would love to share my boat with a service member for the day.

SF Big Dog

Mansell82 - 7/9/2014 5:09 PM

Hi guys I'm a Marine Corps veteran here in Chattanooga and would love to share my boat with a service member for the day.

Good evening Marine ...

First of all .... Thank YOU for your service ... and Thank You for wanting to step up to the plate, and being part of an idea that was meant in the begining to give a little something back .... and say Thank You to the men and women of our Armed Forces, for all they do for us.

We would love to have you as a Volunteer Boater ........... or a Veteran on one of our volunteer boaters boats .... Either is fine. Will undate everyone here, as information becomes available.

Just need all the input we can get on preferance of location and date ... and anything else people can think of.

I look forward to meeting you ..... and shaking hands on the boat ramp.

Your friend,

Rich
AKA SF Big Dog
Fishing With A Soldier (Founder)

You can count me in as well, have boat and willing to do whatever is needed to support the event.
United States Army,Retired

SF Big Dog

Topsarge 66 - 7/10/2014 6:51 AM

You can count me in as well, have boat and willing to do whatever is needed to support the event.
United States Army,Retired

Good morning TopSarge ....

Just wanna start by saying "Thank You" for your service .... and, Thank you for stepping up, and wanting to help make this event happen for all of our men and women of the armed forces ..... past and present.

I will keep everyone here posted, as information becomes available.

I look forward to meeting you at the boat ramp ............. and shaking your hand.

Rich AKA SF Big Dog

Fishing With a Soldier .... Founder

SF Big Dog

SpurHunter - 7/9/2014 11:54 AM

You can count me in. Thanks for doing this.

Thank you SpurHunter

Rich
SF Big Dog

SethColeman

I am 100% in! It would be an absolute honor to share my boat with a hero!

SF Big Dog

SethColeman - 7/11/2014 9:42 PM

I am 100% in! It would be an absolute honor to share my boat with a hero!

Goooooooooood morning Seth ....

Thank you Sir ................. Your ALWAYS on board everytime I post this event :)

Thanks buddy

Rich

SF Big Dog

Good morning all,

Tuesday (July 15) Jerry Strato-G and I are going out to find a site to hold this event.
Will keep everyone posted on our findings ...and see if everyone here is ok with that.

Thank you

Rich

SF Big Dog

EVENT DATE:

Looking at the 2015 calendar .... the last two weekends in April are 18 & 25 ............... What do you guys think? Or, is either one ok?

Rich

Mansell82

April 18! I only say that because I go to UTC and finals are the 22-28 and they do them on Saturdays now too. I can probably spread the word about this to the Student Veterans Organization. There's a couple of UTC fishermen on here I believe, maybe they can help too.

SF Big Dog

Mansell82 - 7/12/2014 7:50 AM

April 18! I only say that because I go to UTC and finals are the 22-28 and they do them on Saturdays now too. I can probably spread the word about this to the Student Veterans Organization. There's a couple of UTC fishermen on here I believe, maybe they can help too.

Good morning, and Thank you for your reply and offer to help.
In order for this event to be successful ........ we will need all the help ... word of mouth .... volunteer boaters ... and Veterans as we can get .... so your help would be more than appreciated.

And when I say Soldier's or Veteran's ......... I mean active duty ....... Reservists .... Wounded Warriors .... past Veteran's ................ and ALL branches of service.

I'm using Department of Defence definition of Veteran:
" If you have served at least 180 days on active duty, and was discharged honorably ............ That's all it takes.

Again ........... Thank youi

Rich

SF Big Dog

Who & What is
"Fishing With A Soldier"

In September 2010, I read about several groups in Texas ... all volunteers ... who pooled their efforts to put together an event day of fishing for Soldiers & Veterans, to show appreciation and give a little something back. They recruited volunteer boaters, as well as Soldiers & Veterans ... and the idea was born for a East Tennessee "Fishing With A Soldier" event.

I polled several different fishing web-sites for feed back on the idea, and Gary Harris from East Tennessee Fishing, and Donnie Gill from Tennessee Bass Fishing volunteered as event coordinators ... then, Deb McKay was recruited into the group.

We held our first event in May 2011 at Douglas Lake, and had some 40 volunteer boaters, as well as 38-40 Soldiers & Veterans.

We had numerous sponsors get on board, who donated money, custom made fishing rods, and gift cards, to be given away. Janet Parker, the female Kevin Van Damm of professional bass fishing, attended to do her part in taking soldiers out for a day of fishing.

EODT, a Lenoir City based company, sponsored the afternoon meal after weigh-in ... and the Shiloh Riders and part of the Tennessee Patriot Guard Riders, prepared and served the afternoon meal.

The event was such a huge success ... that many people encouraged us to make it a repeating annual event. Since last year, we have added three more co-chairmen in an effort to make this year and all future events bigger and better.

All unused monies raised in preparation for putting on these events, is donated to The Step House in the Knoxville area, which helps disabled veterans and homeless veterans.

Richard M Ballard
United States Army, Retired
Cleveland, TN