deer bait

procraft

hey guys what do you think works the best to bring deer in close in al we can use any thing befor season opens then just grain need to get them in an small area now thanks

Bprice

churly

Nothing beats corn and salt. Deer crave it this time of year. I put out 5 cams yesterday and outside of the plot watcher, I baited all 4 other locations using granular trace mineral (50lb. Bags), lucky buck, and corn. I promise, I will have some velvet buck pics in 2 weeks.

procraft

by far the best thing i have used is maplenut candy but can not get it any more so looking for something that will work as good it works 4x as any corn i have ever used

churly

Crackerbarrel or stuckeys i guess

churly

I hate even feeding the deer corn as it has no nutritional value and can be rough in a deers digestive system, but hey. Its like ice cream, they keep coming back.

churly

BRamsey - 7/7/2014 11:18 PM

Now churly, I thought you were against baiting deer.

I am, in states where it is illegal to hunt over it. It is totally legal to use it (in TN) to get pics of your bucks and it works good for preseason cam surveys. It doesnt take much. That and trace mineral is all you need to get his pic.

JHeadrick

i use 4s advanced wildlife solutions 20% protein pellets year round in taylor county ga. I have watched 100-110 lb does go all the way up to 145lb being the last one i killed in jan. of this past year. as for food plots depending on the soil i use alfa alfa clover chufa chickory turnips and soybeans. on my smaller plots i stick to the throw and grow stuff as it is hard to get the tractor back in the woods that far. and with some 10-10-10 seems to shoot right up and consistently gets the job done with little work. as for minerals i use 4s minerals mixed with a trophy rock on top then black magic and block topper to sweeten and take alot of the salty taste out of it and the deer seem to go crazy for it. if you are planning to start using a feeder i highly recomend using pellets but to get them started on eating it mix half and half with corn then ween them off the corn over a couple months and you will see a great difference in body mass as well as antlers. free range feeders tend to do best so hogs dont find it as fast and it has taken my deer about a yr to get fully comfortable to come around the spin cast feeder while it goes off.

JHeadrick

i second churly on the lucky buck, i forgot to mention i use that as well to give my deer a variety across our 3000 acre tree/cotton farm in taylor county ga

churly

JHeadrick - 7/8/2014 12:28 AM

i use 4s advanced wildlife solutions 20% protein pellets year round in taylor county ga. I have watched 100-110 lb does go all the way up to 145lb being the last one i killed in jan. of this past year. as for food plots depending on the soil i use alfa alfa clover chufa chickory turnips and soybeans. on my smaller plots i stick to the throw and grow stuff as it is hard to get the tractor back in the woods that far. and with some 10-10-10 seems to shoot right up and consistently gets the job done with little work. as for minerals i use 4s minerals mixed with a trophy rock on top then black magic and block topper to sweeten and take alot of the salty taste out of it and the deer seem to go crazy for it. if you are planning to start using a feeder i highly recomend using pellets but to get them started on eating it mix half and half with corn then ween them off the corn over a couple months and you will see a great difference in body mass as well as antlers. free range feeders tend to do best so hogs dont find it as fast and it has taken my deer about a yr to get fully comfortable to come around the spin cast feeder while it goes off.

That sounds awesome. What is the cost of these protein pellets?

RangerRob

Good old corn has them popping up on my Putnam Co, GA land. As Churls mentioned, it may not have much nutritional value, but it's like crack.

jmergen

Up North , we use corn(but instead of huge piles, sprinkle on the ground, makes then dig and scrape a bit) and apples mostly. In the fall, pumpkins work great and you can find them very cheap after Halloween. Throw a few out and smash them. Sugar beets also work.

churly

Big bucks only come to salt at night...lol! Hehehe!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 259

churly

I'm hoping I can Billy. That's a pic taken today from a covert G3 cam. in KY. Not on my place, but it's 100% legit.

What happened to Grassy Cove?