Fly rod

BigChum

Im looking for a good all around fly rod for trout fishing. Any suggestions?

catjuggin

Like anything you can spend a lot or spend a little, or somewhere in between. Sage, Orvis, Scott are all high end rods. If you can catch fish you can do it with an expensive rod or an inexpensive one. The higher end rods have excellent warranties and if you fish enough you will break your rod.

Now that didn't answer any question you had, but I would suggest a 5 wt in a 9' with a Weight forward floating line. This is a versatile size and you can fish dry or wet flys, even streamers.

TFO is a good mid-range brand. I bought a 5wt combo in a
TFO at Bass Pro for around $200. My wife loved it! it was her Christmas present that year.

You can spend as much as you want, but the rod won't make you a better fisherman

gaspergou

For the record, TFO's warranty will stand against any of the high end companies. Whether you're chasing bluegills or tarpon, you could do a whole lot worse. (And most of those folks that will come out and say, "A fly reel is just for holding line" have probably never stuck a big river striper or bonefish or tarpon or something else that can pull). You'll learn real quick what your priorities should be. ;)

digitalcb

4' 9" Fenwick's been my favorite emoGeezer </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

higdon21xrd

I've got a 9 ft TFO signature series in 9 wt. I love it! TFO are cheap rods but high quality. I've recently become addicted to their conventional rods as well. I've used several different brands from Shakespeare to G. Loomis and really the only thing I've liked more is the true blue, original G. Loomis, but those will cost you a fortune.

flycaster

TFO is a great value from what I've heard. I dropped the money years ago for four different Sage rods, but now, I would look at a cheaper rod.

higdon21xrd

I would put a TFO up against any new Loomis, any Orvis, and any Sage. I know TFO's conventional rods are being designed my Gary Loomis now. I'm not sure if he is working with their fly rods now or not.

Blue76

I have a 6wt Sage VT2 I would like to sell. I have only used it a few times. I bought a Bass boat and it just doesn't get used anymore. I hate to see it not used. I also have a pflueger that I will keep for those wild hairs I might get every now and then.

It has brand new weight forward floating line with it... Line was like 60 bucks.

Comes with tube.

I would like to get $250 for the rod or $300 for rod and line.... make an offer.

JimP

Just noticed in a Cabela's catalog that the TFO Pro Special is on sale for $70, their Prestige Plus WF line is $20, and their Prestige Plus reels are $30, totals $120 for a good beginner rod, you could do better or worse, but this would work well.

machinekiller

I bought a TFO a few weeks ago from reliance fly & tackle its a 5wt bug launcher and put a orvis batten kill reel on it .the rod works well