Turtles

Lucas

Just curious, If any of y'all are bass fishing or just fishing, drifting around banks with trees down and you see 5 to 20 turtles sunbathing, would you think this would still be a good place to fish? Might be a dumb question to some but I know turtles eat fish.

Hook1

Turtles don't eat live fish. I do think they spook the fish when 20 of them do a cannon ball into the water though.

Lucas

Ok guess it would be hard for them to catch the fish lol. Do you think the gar scare the fish off?

Hank's Dad

In an area one day on Nickajack, we weren't catching anything. I'm urging Hank we need to move. Several turtles were popping up in the area. I said to him that we weren't going to catch anything because of all the turtles. I said look...it's like a turtle orgy. There's no way fish are in here. I no more than got it out of my mouth and he catches a keeper...and then two more. We look for turtle orgies now.....

Pointer 78

Seeing turtles is always a sign of a healthy habitat. Bass are in no way bothered by them.

spnplgr

When I was a kid, an older man came to our farm pond every year to catch turtles. He told me that few things in the water are faster than a turtle - up to 7 inches directly in front of his head. Further than that, not very fast. He said a snapper can grab you, if that close to his head, before you can move your hand out of the way. Any of you guys ever see a turtle stretch his neck out of the shell? It's kinda like watching a big gob of rubber stretching a loooong way. Anyway, his comments got my attention!

Fishheadspin

all i will say is i have caught them on crankbaits spinnerbaits jigs and lizards. either i am working all those baits really slow or they will eat live things.

derek81

If a snapper can eat a baby duck I would think it could eat a fish..but then again they can just sneak up from below on the duck.

toddmcc78

Last week I noticed that ever where we found turtles we found fish. If the place didn't have any turtles or very few we didn't catch anything. I don't really know why but as long as there was turtles the fishing was better.

higdon21xrd

My dad always taught me that turtles are natures structure finder. See a turtle pop up in what seems to be the middle of nowhere and odds are there is a stump or structure of some sort underneath it.

fishermn7

Well from my experience and listening to my father always says " hey bud there are the good luck turtles" I never mind th being around aquatic turtles eat fish yes live ones as do the bass my thumbs up to the turtles

Creek Chub

Sniperchoke should start turtlemasters! He has a culling board and a weigh in bag for turtle tournaments!!!
Only man I know that she he says he had 30 lbs by 1030. He means 3 10lb loggerheads.