Small Mouth

Blue76

I know this is probably a question no one will answer since no one wants to give up their "spots" but I was wondering what area of Chick would a guy have the best chance of landing a small mouth? The simple answer I am sure is below the dam but I am not ready to put my boat in there just yet.

Do any of the creeks or any of the areas up river offer a better chance than the main lake?

I have caught only one small mouth in my life and that was in Watts Bar 25 years ago.

Greg

VolsFan24

Ive caught a couple small ones at the point at the end of chester frost park. But I was told Soddy Creek has some nice deep rocky spots that should hold some. I havent been yet, but now that I have a boat I will definately try it out at some point. If you try it, let me know how you do.

My only real experience with smallies is up north on Norris Lake by Knoxville.

MadBomber

Catchinga smallmouth from Chickamauga lake is such a hit and miss proposition that there is no such thing as a "special spot". If you really want to catch a smallmouth, Go by Jacks tackle Shop, get some of the largest shiners he has and launch from the RiverPark ramp. Rig the shiners on a<u> light wire 1/0 hook</u> with a 1/16th ounce split shot about 18" or so up the line. Go across the river to the Rivermont side and drift about 50-75 yards away from the bank. Drift all the way down to Veterans Bridge. Drift the shiners about 30-40 yards behind the boat. I recommend rod holders andput out several rods. If you choose to hold your rod, when you feel a bite, set the hook. Don't let the fish run with it!!! If you do, It will probably be throat or gill hooked.</p>

</p>

MadBomber

VolsFan24 - 4/23/2014 3:14 PM Ive caught a couple small ones at the point at the end of chester frost park. But I was told Soddy Creek has some nice deep rocky spots that should hold some. I havent been yet, but now that I have a boat I will definately try it out at some point. If you try it, let me know how you do. My only real experience with smallies is up north on Norris Lake by Knoxville.
</p>

I fished Soddy Creek almost exclusively for over 30 yearsand can count all the smallies I caught from there on 1 hand. Soddy Creek is more suited to spots.</p>

VolsFan24

Good to know. They didnt say it had smallies, just that the steep rocky banks looked good for holding them.

Blue76

Good info... Volsfan24.... I am just dumb enough to share whatever I figure out. I don't keep to many secrets when it comes to fishing... I have some friends that are super tight with any info at all... Cracks me up sometimes.

BUT... I was fishing last Saturday on the main river channel almost across from Chester Frost.... near the entrance to Hideaway slough... the bank is super rocky and pretty deep there. I did catch a few LM there but it looked like a great place for SM... I may try that area again tomorrow.

Greg

Hook1

I have caught lots of smallies on the lower end from the dam up to the bluffs. Lots of good humps and rocky ledges down there and if you hit the spawn you can wear them out shallow.

Carl Guffey

<font size="3" face="georgia,palatino">Go above the Hiwassee on the main river. Everywhere you see a bluff against deep water parallel it with a jerkbait, fishing upstream and hang on. In late fall and early spring it will fill your boat quickly, if you are throwing the right coloremoDance </font>

MagicMan72

The pumphouse point down past Booker T has had a few and the bluff leading from the river towards Waconda Bay has given up a few also. I would say that almost any place on Chick has a chance to produce smallies I have seen them caught all over the lake but it is hit and miss. I was fishing grass lines with Todd Carter and caught a smallmouth flipping grass that was a rarity I thought and that was in Soddy Creek.

Lunch_Box

The area around Sequoya usually gives up some small mouth. Better at night this time of year.

Blue76

After thinking about it... About 20 plus years ago... I put in at grasshopper creek and run up the Hiawassee a little ways and noticed May flies hatching near the bank... We stopped and caught about every species in the river for about an hour... I think we caught over 70 fish in a little over and hour... it was insane. No matter what hit the water some kind of fish hit it. Catfish, striper, bream, bass... AND... we caught a few small mouth as well. I forgot about that. What I do remember well is the storm that blew in just after that and the waves swamped by boat before we could get back to the ramp... It was like a submarine bass boat... I was sitting in water. At full throttle I think I could have swam faster.... but it made it back... took hours to pump all the water out. Thought we were done for sure.

Greg

catjuggin

The river isn't always scary. Check the release schedule, you need some flow to make em bite. This time of year they are storing not releasing so the flow is not scary.
Goldfish work too! ;)

Blue76

Goldfish... That reminds me of a school of carp I saw at Carters lake several years ago... they came swimming by and in the school was a huge fancy tail goldfish... one of those with what looks like two tails, a big fat body and giant googly eyes... must have weighed 4 or 5 lbs... it was giant.

porthos33

Yup good info. So now good luck and post the smallie when you catch it. I'd try all the dams, chick, nick, the bar, sale creek, soddy, from chick dam up to the nukes is where I've caught most of mine on chick. Think deep. Or just take a drive up to Smyrna below Nashville and go hit Percy Preist. I love that lake and The Hamilton creek area is great. Oh and don't forget about Tims Ford. Chick gets so crowded so it's nice to go other places that have really good populations.

jrock

I fish down lake from the dam to the bluffs mostly. Have caught them down there but, blow the dam is best. I would us hair jigs & spinner baits drifting live bait just is not fair to the fish. I mean anybody can do that but to make one bite well thats just gratifying:)

wetaline

I know you don't want to hear it again, but if i wanted to target small mouth, I can't think of a place that even comes close to the dam. That place is small mouth heaven