Texas Rio's...murdered them

Solo

Texas was all it's cracked up to be and then some. Three of us headed west to the High Plains in search of the motherload of Rio's. We arrived early on Saturday morning, unloaded all of our gear, then caught a quick nap. By 2pm Central we were pulling into the ranch we were to hunt and greeted by two longbeards gobbling in the driveway of the rancher. After talking the place over with the rancher's grandson, we each set out on our on ways. By dark, two of us had killed three birds. My buddy smoked two after calling in 51 hens, 1 jake and 3 longbeards. I killed one longbeard that evening that was with 15 hens and a few jakes, a good 3 year old.
7C989006-BFBE-481D-9D43-B2FF14D0A2C1_zpskzginlrq.jpg

CF605638-8CF4-446F-A524-5CEA4E4F5D83_zps2kws9pdx.jpg

We had been told that the ranch we were hunting had 300 birds roosting in the cottonwoods around the ranchers house. We were all a little skeptical, but I swear if there weren't 300 birds there, there wasn't one. It was the most incredible thing that evening watching those birds pile in there from all directions and go to roost. I knew where I would be sitting the next morning!

Sunday morning came and we got there an hour before daylight. As we were talking about when we should get out of the truck and get in the brush, I rolled my window down and we were greeted with multiple gobbles. I think it was time. All three of us split up and headed off. Before I could even see the bead on the end of my barrel, I could hear turkeys making flydown cackles. It was an amazing sight as I watched 30 or so longbeards, 25-30 jakes and 50-60 hens fly down and assemble. These were just the birds in front of me and there were still dozens of other birds gobbling nearby. They all did their thing over the next 25-30 minutes, gobbling hundreds of times all the while.

Finally the hens starting breaking off and they were marching on the path that would put all of them at 35 yards from me. I sat motionless as dozens of hens and jakes walked by waiting on the longbeards that were behind. The first gobbler caught up with the group and I promptly thumped his head. I look back in the direction they were coming from and two more gobblers were coming hard. Those two gobbler got to the bird I had just shot and they starting working him over. When those two got their heads lined up, I dented the primer and had my 4 bird TX limit before the sun was above the horizon of the 2nd hunt of the trip.
D9DFC9BA-763C-4849-A1EF-45B893EE8C44_zpsr4hqh0tr.jpg

My buddy also killed one that morning, bringing the total up to 7 longbeards in one afternoon hunt and one morning hunt. Incredible!

Sunday morning kills...
DSC00013_zpsa1a12010.jpg

Since I was limited out, I spent the day picking up sheds while they hunted that afternoon. That afternoon we added one more gobbler to the total making 8 longbeards. We only had one more morning to hunt since the ranchers grandson had to get back to rodeo college. The next morning, they tagged team a group of birds they put to bed and killed one more gobbler. 2 full days hunting and we killed 9 longbeards out of a possible 12. It sure made the long drive back a little easier. I feel confident that with another day of hunting, we would have all had our limit.

Birds and bones...whack-n-stack.

56369B6A-5164-47C7-AEFC-860D9D64002F_zpsvv9nj1pz.jpg

ED11799C-449B-4F89-ACE9-5EDB8DB97F3B_zpseujllmob.jpg

We've hunted Nebraska and Kansas for Rio's in the past and this place is by far the best place I've been in my life. We're headed back and the best thing is that the ranchers grandson has a ranch in Oklahoma for us to hunt that he says has just as many birds and only 10 miles away from this ranch. Interacting with hundreds of birds is something I never thought I'd have a chance at. We all made this trip for well under $1000 a piece, including licenses, gas and food. Unreal!

churly

Im jealous. Thats great!

fish4thepeck

Had simular results a couple of years ago in Oklahoma on the Canadin River. Pretty neat to hear 20 birds gobbling on one oil rig but much rather hunt here in the mountains.

Liveliner

Looks like you had at least one Eastern in the Haul. That had to have been an eventful Hunt with the numbers you guys were seeing. Congrats and thanks for sharing your Photos...

Solo

SpurHunter - 4/21/2014 7:56 AM

Texas Rios are the holy grail of turkey hunting, not because they are hard to find kill, but because they are so damn fun to hunt! I had a similar trip about 10 years ago, I can still play back every moment!

That's right... These birds we chase here in the mountains are so much more rewarding, but TX is awesome for the sheer numbers and the way they gobble at anything. We can't wait to do it again next year.

Like I've said before if you can kill birds in the south consistently, you will mop the floor in the west.

Liveliner- none of these are Easterns and we were deep in Rio Grande country. There is a bird with more of a color variation, but Rio none the less.

SpurHunter

Solo - 4/21/2014 10:13 AM

SpurHunter - 4/21/2014 7:56 AM

Texas Rios are the holy grail of turkey hunting, not because they are hard to find kill, but because they are so damn fun to hunt! I had a similar trip about 10 years ago, I can still play back every moment!

That's right... These birds we chase here in the mountains are so much more rewarding, but TX is awesome for the sheer numbers and the way they gobble at anything. We can't wait to do it again next year.

Like I've said before if you can kill birds in the south consistently, you will mop the floor in the west.

Liveliner- none of these are Easterns and we were deep in Rio Grande country. There is a bird with more of a color variation, but Rio none the less.

You got that right, if you love turkey action, Rio's are your game. To those that say they love the chase the most, more power to you. I want gobblin and birds that will work.