Chickamauga Dam Boat Ramp Warning!

stratos21xl

We wanted to fish the lower end of the river so rather than putting in up river and driving the boat down I thought it would be better to launch from the dam. WRONG! Some classless jackwagon smashed into the rear end of my trailer. The boat buckle and mount on the trailer looked like someone took a sledgehammer to it. While I am thankful it wasn't my truck that took the hit and the damage to the trailer was not that bad, it still ticks me off that they didn't have enough respect to at least leave a note stating I am sorry I hit your trailer. So let what happen to me be a lesson to everyone else and avoid using the ramp at the dam.

Hook1

That's funny. The same thing happened to me at the same ramp. Bent my fender and also bent the transom saver to where I barely got the boat loaded. Really it's not funny that was a figure of speach.

Lunch_Box

I saw a woman in a red Dodge truck park a trailer at Harrison Bay and turned in too short and hit a trailer parked there. Looked like a nice Ranger trailer she hit. She just walked away like she never touched it. Time for all the rookies to hit the water since the sun is out and it is warming up.

VolsFan24

May be a dumb question, but is it the parking lot that is bad and why yalls trailers are getting hit? Or is it the people that use the ramp?

stratos21xl

VolsFan24 - 4/17/2014 8:48 PM

May be a dumb question, but is it the parking lot that is bad and why yalls trailers are getting hit? Or is it the people that use the ramp?

I think it's the people using the ramp. I parked way out to the far end and still got hit. Whatever hit my trailer, whether it was another trailer or a vehicle, had to sustain some damage. It moved the bracket that is almost 1/4 thick steel 2-3 inches. From the angle it was bent, it looked like someone backed into it or ran straight into it.

VolsFan24

Because I just got my first boat and its on an 89 trailer. If it gets hit and creates a weak spot, I would be livid. I cant imagine trailering the boat and the trailer give out because someone hit it. I am one on those rookies that plans on going out a bunch this summer, but I assure you guys that if I do something dumb or wrong, I own up to it. Im looking foward to getting to the ramp and watching all the "experts" launch and trailer their boats. Then I will come along and take 30 minutes to launch and 45 minutes to trailer. Haha. Maybe just the first few times. Im a quick learner.

cast4bass

That ramp is awful. A lot of inconsiderate people fish from the ramp courtesy dock and won't move Jet skiers use the courtesy dock as a personal dock. I hate it but sometimes I do use it. I always regret it though. The parking places for trailers should be angled and that would make things easier. It is tough to pull up and turn when the spaces facing the trailer spaces are full ( ones along the shoreline). I think frankly the rangers should just camp out there on Saturdays after Memorial Day. If you like watching stupid grab a folding chair and a cooler and sit where you can see the boats loaded on and off trailers. emoBang emoEnforce

churly

I've had my truck and trailer bashed at Harrison bay one night. It can happen anywhere!

buzz

I could write a book about watching launches......including me stripping down to my underware one cold morning....to go get my boat.....after the rope broke and nobody in site. Just for info....the water is COLD in March!!!!! emoParty

SlabDog

cast4bass - 4/17/2014 10:34 PM

A lot of inconsiderate people fish from the ramp courtesy dock and won't move emoBang emoEnforce

This is true at most ramps. Even the ones with fishing piers beside them. Chester Frost, Upper Chickamauga Dam ramp, Wolftever......A couple of times I've had to tell someone they were gonna have to move since they wouldn't move on their own as I was approaching to load my boat at the dam and at Wolftever. Both times no one was on the fishing piers.

Lunch_Box

Want to have a fun time at the lake get a lawn chair and a picnic lunch and go sit by the boat ramp on Memorial Day weekend to watch people launching and loading their boats. It is amazing the things people do.

outcaster

Lunch_Box - 4/19/2014 8:55 AM

Want to have a fun time at the lake get a lawn chair and a picnic lunch and go sit by the boat ramp on Memorial Day weekend to watch people launching and loading their boats. It is amazing the things people do.
It's especially entertaining when it's windy.