DFI oil vs regular

smughal31

I have a 1999 200hp optimax and was told I need to run dfi oil in my motor there's only one problem... It's high price! And not always easy to find. Do I really need to run this oil? I have been now for almost a year and I know some of you are thinking why switch now but at $40 a gallon it's a little out of hand. If so then be it but I just wanted to hear other peoples advice thanks in advance

I have used the optimax oil for the past five years and have had the same concerns as you. I have learned that these engines do not run a set fuel to oil ratio such as 50:1 that's found in most older models but have a computer that varies the ratio from idle to wide open, sometimes having ratios much higher such as at idle. This is where standard oils cannot protect your engine.

You can find the optimax oil on line at DUSKY SPORT CENTER at a better price.

dragfish

I've always run Optimax dfi because Merc originally said it would void my warranty if I didn't.
I've been told I could change-but for the price difference, I'd rather have the peace of mind.
I've always found it at Nichols or Island Cove.

BeeBasser

I have a 2008 115 hp Optimax and have been using Quicksilver Premium Plus since the first year, with no problems. My owners manual says that if Quicksilver DFI is not available use Premium Plus. The label on P.Plus says, "specifically formulated to meet the demands of high horspower and direct fuel injected outboards." P.Plus is a little cheaper than DFI and if it is ok to use when the higher priced DFI oil is not available, why not all the time???

smughal31

But after looking at the price I get the DFI oil for the same price thanks to caption Kirks advice. Even though shipping is 27.99 lol

Fishingron

Come on guys, there isn't an oil made that cannot be brought under another name brand.

This from another forum

2 cycle oil has been beat to death on this forum and most others that are marine related. I worked in the lubricants industry for over 2 decades. Here is the hull truth.

Merc and Yam don't make oil. The write spec and set for bid. Last I knew, Citgo blended Merc products.

You will see these words used a LOT in the lubicants industry- "Meets or exceeds". Lube specs are very precise and arguing whether a product "meets" or "exceeds" a spec is a waste of time. Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State or SOPUS, the US distributor (Shell Oil Products United States) is a world leader in lubricant technology, additive technology, and product blending. The XLF 2 cycle oil sold at Wallyworld is as good as ANY semi-syn product on the market. If your application doesn't absolutely require full synthetic (ie E-tec 100:1) then at $13/gal. there is no better value for 2 cycle oil, period.

When you are paying about a 1000 dollars per every ten horsepower on these high tech engines, you might want to take a second look at using a 13.00 dollar oil in it.

dragfish

captain kirk - 4/21/2014 4:19 PM

When you are paying about a 1000 dollars per every ten horsepower on these high tech engines, you might want to take a second look at using a 13.00 dollar oil in it.

Couldn't have said it better myself emoToast

SlabDog

Nichols Marine in Red Bank sells the 2.5 gallon jug for 69.95. That's $27.98 per gallon. Plus tax of course.

Strato-G

dragfish - 4/21/2014 8:49 PM

emoGoofy If u need to ask price of oil, don't buy a boat. Cost of equipment far out weighs maintenance items....... emoGeezer emoUSA

Fishingron

So, you're saying the rest of us that don't have money running out they're ears need to suck it up and stay off the lake??

graybullet

I was at Fish N Fun the other day, and they have DFI. They had it bottled by Mercury 1 gallon jug for $43.00. They also had some bulk that they bottle themselves (FNF) for $34 per gallon.

Randall53

If anyone wants to really get into the details of these oils and the testing criteria, then here is the NMMA website link with all the oils they have tested (includes the 2014 list) to date that have earned the TC-W3 rating. Mercury Premium oils are on the list as is Mercury racing oil. Strangely, the Mercury DFI oil is not. I suppose that explains the TC-W3 rating not being on the bottle? It also has all of the testing criteria and definitions. Pretty interesting stuff if you have the time. I'd bet there's not a dimes bit of difference in any of them.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/tc-w3.aspx

smughal31

Strato-G - 5/7/2014 7:04 PM

dragfish - 4/21/2014 8:49 PM

emoGoofy If u need to ask price of oil, don't buy a boat. Cost of equipment far out weighs maintenance items....... emoGeezer emoUSA
I was simply asking for the difference and where I could get it cheaper. I work hard for every dollar I have so if there's a way I can get it cheaper or use a cheaper kind you better believe I want to know.