Spawn time for Crappie & shell crackers

jwateacher3

I lived in FL for 15 years and I remember in April, May, & June That the shell crackers would go on bed always around the full moon. I know water temp has a great impact as when they stage and go on bed but, we are several hundred miles from that area of FL. Here in Chatt area I mainly here people chercking the water temp when tring to decide when the fish are going on the bed. My question does the full moon have any effect on when the crappie go on bed. Or is it strictly a tempature thing. Also do the shell crackers follow the lunar schedule here as well?

rsimms

Most folks I know prefer 3-day periods before and after a full moon. But as I always say, "just go fishing whenever you can!"

Here's the optimum Spawning Temps, courtesy TWRA:

Species Spawning First Fry
Largemouth 68-72 ~75
Smallmouth 59-60 ~65
Striped Bass 59-65 ~68
Cherokee Bass 55-57 ~60
Spotted Bass 63-68 ~70
White Bass 45-48 ~50
Bluegill 70-75 ~77
Shellcracker 68-75 ~77
Black Crappie 62-68 ~68
White Crappie 60-65 ~65
Channel Catfish 75-80 ~82
Blue Catfish 70-75 ~78

drumking

Jerry, I have caught shellcrackers on the bed when the moon is "new" as well as when the moon is full. I think with Crappie, it is more when they get ready, but still if it concides with a full or new moon, they will do their thang!

I usually start shellcracker fishing in the middle of April and fish until the middle or May or whenever they quit biting. Bluegill will spawn off and on for the 3 month period that you mention. Sunnys (orange breasted sunfish) spawn later than bluegill or coppernosed sunfish. That is just an observation that I have made and is not scientific at all. Heck, it might not even be accurate. emoBigsmile

Fishin Fool

The middle of April or right around the time the water comes up to pool is when the shellcrackers begin to move in. The water temps warm up pretty fast but I have caught them when the water was much cooler than what TWRA says is the best time.

TennesseeTalker

I wonder what will happen if they don't summer pool the lake until Mid May which is something I heard somewhere!?!

TT

Fishin Fool

I think it will be real close to summer pool in mid April, at least I hope so. It may not be at full pool until May but it will be up a good deal in April.