Below the hawassie RR bridge

mlc0341

Does anybody fish the RR bridge to the 41 bridge for trout or small mouth. Last summer I saw the largest large mouth I have ever seen and I have caught several over 8lbs but it would not hit anything also lots of stripes. Just wondering I have a small v hull I would like to take down don't know were to put in were it will make it down on 1 generator.

jimwarden

Might be tough in that boat, but you could put in just below the railroad bridge and go up to see how far you make it.

stranahan

If you really like your boat I would not recommend it unless you know the river very, very well. With that said, if you do decide to float in the reliance area make sure there are at least two generators running. One is not enough and with zero flow you can walk across most of the river. The 2 rivers, patty bridge, & and 411 bridge areas are all possible launch areas but again you won't be going too far without two turbines in operation.
Good luck, hope this helps
B.S.

stranahan

Yes there are some deep pockets, it's finding them and being able to get to and from safely without sinking or damaging your boat/motor.

Blue76

Hey... Old topic but I have a related question... Thought the Fly Fishing area might have an answer...

How long does it take to float from the RR bridge to 411 in a Kayak? I know it depends on how long I stop and fish... just trying to figure out how much time to allow.

stranahan

About three hours to float straight through on two turbines. Just make sure that you have water because you will not be able to get through the cow fields without water.

Blue76

What does that mean? I think you mean water in the river.. like at least one turbine running? Sorry... just not clear on the cow thing...

I have not done any fishing on moving water from my kayak... lots of lakes big and small but no rivers. Would a drag chain be needed to slow down in the current and stay in control?

Also... do I need a trout license for that part of the river?

Thanks for the help...

Javelin33

You'll need a trout stamp for any part up there. You shouldn't need a drag chain I don't think it gets extremely fast and he means you need 2 generators to fish from a boat. We wade up there when they are either running 1 or 0 generators and you rarely get above the waist where we fish, if that gives you an idea.

Blue76

Thanks Javelin... It would have to be pretty shallow for a Kayak not to float... My thought was I would wade in the super shallow areas if the kayak would not float... hopefully there is enough water so I wouldn't have to drag it through the rocks.

stranahan

Call the TVA number 1-800-239-2264, then option 4, then 22 for Appalachia powerhouse to check the water release schedule. Currently TVA is running 2 generators most of the time. When floating above the 411
Bridge you must wear a life jacket at all times while on the river.
Trout stamp is required, Delayed Harvest reg apply upstream of the RR trestle. The reference of the cow field is for webbs fields the upper two miles of the float, the river is fairly wide and very shallow.
Good luck.

hookset

411 bridge to the mouth of the Ocoee is a great trip. McCleary Sholes, Hog Pin and patti Bridge are really good big brown areas. You never know what you might pull up...litterally. It does require 2 vehicles. it is an incredible fishery. good luck if you make this float!

Blue76

hookset - 10/9/2014 4:56 PM

411 bridge to the mouth of the Ocoee is a great trip. McCleary Sholes, Hog Pin and patti Bridge are really good big brown areas. You never know what you might pull up...litterally. It does require 2 vehicles. it is an incredible fishery. good luck if you make this float!

Thanks for the info...

How long does that float take? I know it depends on my pace of fishing but is that a half day trip?

Blue76

Hmmm... I could make it into two trips if I did it in halves... looks like the Patti bridge has a take out close to half way.

stranahan

For multiple trips on the lower sections the easiest way to split it up is from;
Reliance to gee creek or the 411 bridge. 6 miles float
Gee creek to patty bridge or 411 to patty. 6 miles
Patty to two rivers is about a 3-4 mile trip
When using ramps in the two rivers area, I recommend the campground area, it costs a couple of bucks for access, but well worth not having to worry about your vehicle. Also
If you need a shuttle give Charlie a call at Hiwassee outfitters
423-338-8115