Reel cleaning

bassbrad

I am looking to see if there is a demand for cleaning reels. This would be a disassemble and thorough cleaning and lube not just wipe down the surface and get rid off all those years worth of grime. Now would be the time to have it done and if there is enough demand I could do them. I have done them for work friends and have even gotten some old ones working again. I clean all of mine every year and have some old Lew's from the late 80s that work better than some of the high dollar new ones. Would $15 per reel plus any S&H charges (unless local then there would be no S&H) be too much? Could also look at those ones that don't seem to work anymore to diagnose the problems to see if it would be worth it to repair. High end reels are very expensive so wouldn't it be worth the investment. Any interest?

hippi97

I have been doing them for a few people but there`s not to many having them done.

bassbrad

I figured there would be some wanting to invest in their equipment. Perhaps they all do it themselves or they are disposal. If anyone is interested for around Knoxville or Oak Ridge let me know and we can exchange email/phone numbers. thanks for the reply

I have about 10-15 regular customers that I service reels for yearly, then 10-12 that contact me only when needed, and then those that I've only heard from once that had that 20 year old reel serviced for the 1st time. I feel most purchase throwaway reels, or attempt to do it on their own. I have invested a lot of money into proper lighting, work benches, ultrasonic cleaners, polishes, cleaning agents, oils, lubricants, greases, specialty bearing tools, specialty screwdriver sets, a dedicated 170sq ft room in my home that is closed off from the rest of the house just for reel servicing, bait painting and gun cleaning.

It's something that I'll ever recoup my investment in, but it's something I enjoy, and it's nice if I have an emergency I can usually get the reel back on the water quickly.

SmallJaws1

I have about 4 ole quantum energys that I would love to have cleaned. Let me know More info on your location. I'm definitely interested!

hippi97

I have moved and don't have my shop at my house yet. Im going to try to be back up and running next month.

BustinBass197

I have about 15 that need cleaned. I am also interested in upgrading bearings on some of my older shimanos. I live in LaFayette and there is a guy on here that cleans but makes you drop them off at a local tackleshop and pick them backup there as well. I would like to do my business local, but I would also at least like to meet the person that I am paying to do my work.

My turnaround is still about a week after I receive the reels. I'm located in Old Hickory, TN between Percy Priest Lake, and Old Hickory Lake.

Attachments

• Reel Bench[1].jpg
    Reel Bench[1].jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 460