Chickamauga water level

Crizzel

When does TVA start bringing the lake up from winter pool?

fischnrod

It used to be full pool by April 15th but that has changed. I don't think it's full now until mid may unfortunately, I hate the newer schedule!

Carl Guffey

<font size="3" face="Georgia">It is quite simple. A change in TVA's EIS. People at Douglas demanded more water earlier. In order to complete TVA's flood plan and allow higher water levels in the primary storage areas they had to hold water levels down stream at a lower level to accommodate potential spring rains.</font>

I hate to see the later release as well, however last year level was within the normal summer range by May 1 and I think the prior year was as well. I download the operationg guide at the end of Dec each year to keep as a record but don't have them at my finger tips right now. Hopefully they will be ahead of the May 15th date this year too.

Crizzel

Look at the water level just now and look at the next few days it looks like they are going to start letting it come up some..

polo-dog

The operating guide does show that TVA plans to get the lake up to summer pool by the 15th of May but often it is full before that. For many years they would fill it from winter pool to summer pool over the first 2 weeks of April and to a degree they still do that. It seems like the last few years they bring it up most of the way in the first 2 weeks of April and seem to let it stay up if we get extra rain during that part of the spring. It seems like they have done a good job not letting the water fall during the spawn but I don't know if they are really trying to do that or that's just the way it's worked out with the available rain.

cphillips

Do most people not feel that the Chick is a little easier to fish with the water down? Seems like it to me. Less water to have to find 'em in. Most of the structure is in the dry. Just my feelings on it.

CATCHMAN

I wish it stayed full all year. I wish the Hiwassee was open all year also emoHoppingmad emoHoppingmad .