Are white bass good to eat??

TightlineT

Trying to catch a mess of fish for someone. Gotta few crappie in freezer bags, but was wondering about white bass? I will not cut a large or smallmouth, but are white bass good to eat? Thanks for any info....Thanks...Jim

EricM

White bass are terrific. You MUST remove the red flesh along the lateral line before cooking - this is very strong tasting, but the white meat is delicious!! emoHungry

TightlineT

EricM - 9/27/2011 12:33 AM

White bass are terrific. You MUST remove the red flesh along the lateral line before cooking - this is very strong tasting, but the white meat is delicious!! emoHungry

Thanks, I'm trying to get a few messes of fish for my Uncle. He showed me hunting and fishing 30 years ago when it wasn't cool to take a kid fishing......I just want some fish for him - mostly crappie......See ya on the water.....Jim

Hank's Dad

Another good thing to do to white bass after you cut out the red meat is to soak them for 24 hours in salt water and lemon juice. It will pull the rest of the blood and funk out of the meat. This is good for rock fish and cats also. Then just rinse them off and cook them any way you want. They'll be great.

Burnbeard

I love white bass unsoaked and leave the red meat on for me too. coat with cornmeal and seasoning then fry em up.
They are an oily fish and have alot of flavor, more than crappie or bluegill.

Try the little yellow bass too. some people say they like them better.

soggysod

yes, and hybrids and stripers too! ive cooked some 37-38" stripe. Cutout all the red, shouldn't be a ton of it. an you got some serious fish frying! very mild fish if you get out the red, Ill be honest, lotsa folks i cooked it for preferred it to catfish or CRAPPIE! dont tell anyone though!
soggysod

Shark

Spotted Bass are way to abundant. Even the die hard Large Mouth And Small Mouth bass guys will gladly keep spots for a charity fish fry or friends.

BaddBass

Whites are delicious, Soak in milk after the removal of the red for about 20 min or so. Then I bake them wrapped in aluminum foil with salt, pepper and lemon juice @ 450 for 45 min . You can also do the same with Rockfish and the meat is much sweeter. Enjoy : )