crappie Fishing

carcrazy151

well ive been watching youtube video on crappie fishing and decided i would give it a try i went to academy and got me some bobbers some bobber stops and some jigs im just wondering if any one can give me some pointers on this set up or maby show me a better more effective way to catch em

SethColeman

Its a good way to fish, it really depends on the depth you are fishing. The beauty of the rig, is the float does all the work for you. Once you find the right depth that the fish are holding, its a great rig to pull them in the boat. Sometimes I use this rig to help me find a consistent depth that the fish are holding to throw my other jigs. I use a 1/16oz jig head and BG Shad, color depends on the water clarity. If you are fishing shallow and the water is clear, I would fish a more natural color. Once you have located the depth of the fish, you can have a secondary rod already set up to throw and countdown while you still have your float in the water. If you have ever fished with live bait on the bobber its really the same, except the motion of the water does all the work for the bait, you can also slowly "pop the bobber to entice action,because you are using a slip floater you can change water depths fast and easy. Hope this helps!

fish4life

when i go crappie fishing I use livebait,thats my easy fishing.I only use fakes for bass.I use minnows and dip them in garlic and u can catch a ton in a day.

Buoy-Master

Bobby garlands on a 1/32 or 1/16th jig head. Rod is a Soddy Custom Special. I'll jig bridges and shoot docks.

I used to use bobbers and minnows until I realized that jigs out fished them. LOL.

Do a search on CFF. Use BBass, Polodog, SoddyBlue and Drumking as users in the search. Maybe use a keyword conatining "dock shooting". Theres some killer info to be found here!

drumking

I use artificial jigs all of the time when I crappie fish. Just about any plastic and/or color will work at one time or another. In a year's time, I may use floaters 1% of the time. All the rest of the time, I am tight lining jigs. Every crappie fisherman has his own favorite lure that he absolutely tears the fish up with. But my advice is to never fall in love with a favorite lure. It will break your heart like your first girl friend because there are days that the fish want something other than your favorite lure. I'm trying to teach Polo this, but he is a slow learner and fast forgetter. emoPoke JK, Polo knows that I love him and he is one of the best crappie fishermen around.

You could have hundreds of different lures and colors in your tackle box, but you really don't need all that many. I am trying to simplify my own crappie fishing arsenal. This is what I am shooting for as far as tackle goes. Ringer stingers (crappie stingers), Bobby Garland 2" shads and slab slayers, and panfish assassins.

I know that tubes, curly tailed grubs, creature baits, crickets, etc lures all catch crappie and are very good, but I really don't need them. Hair jigs work too, but I use them less that I do floaters and jigs.

Colors: depends upon the time of year and the condition of the water. Early spring/late fall (after turnover) when the water is stained (has a nice green color to it) pearl/chartreuse or red/chartreuse is very good. Really, anything that has chartreuse is good in the spring. When the water turns clear, begin to migrate away from chartreuse/solid colors to the more translucent colors. Crystal shad, salt/pepper, pinks, rainbow, and blue. Summer time is when clear blue colors shine and will until the water is stained again. On cloudy days, use brighter colors and on sunny days, go to the more subtle colors. I almost always experiment with spike-it colors on the very tips of the tails of many of the lures that I toss.

Minnow fishermen will argue that you can't beat minnows for crappie, but this is because they don't know how to fish a jig and can't detect the strike of a crappie. That is why they use visual aids (floaters) to let them know when a fish has taken their bait. I have just offended some fishermen I am sure, but I didn't mean to. If I were a minnow fisherman, I would take it on as a challenge to learn how to catch crappie on jigs. When you learn how, then there will be no more trips to the tackle store to buy minnows, worry about keeping them alive, time between fish to impale another on the jig etc. I have caught as many as 24 crappie on consecutive casts before missing one. Others have caught more than that. Fishing Machine pulled up on a dock a couple of years ago and caught crappie on consecutive casts for over 40 minutes before they quit biting. That is a dream trip of a lifetime for some.

Detecting a crappie bite: I have covered this before many times on the forum, but it doesn't weary me to repeat this to a newcomer. You must be a line watcher at all times. Watch the line like the proverbial hawk. Don't take your eyes off the line for any reason. Most crappie bites are very subtle and you never feel them. When you "feel" the bite, it is usually because the crappie is blowing the jig back out of his mouth and it gets snagged on the lips or corner of the mouth. What you will see when the crappie inhales the jig is either a slight "tic" of the line (a slight little hop or twitch), or you will see the line begin to slowly move off to one side or the other, or you will see the line go slack (and you know that the jig hasn't hit bottom), or you won't know or see anything and the fish will just be on the line when you start to speed up your retrieve to make another cast. I don't know of the times that I have had a fish on and never saw the line do anything. This is especially true if you are fishing in the wind.

When fishing in the wind, I usually look a the "C" in the line that is caused by the wind as it blows hard against it. This is about 5 or 6 feet above the water line. If it begins to straighten out, set the hook. You will never feel a crappie when it bites in a strong wind. All other times, I am watching the line at the point of entry to the water. If you even think that you saw something different, set the hook. It doesn't cost a thing to set the hook. Little "palsy" twitches at various intervals during the retrieve will a lot of times cause a reaction bite from a crappie that is looking at the jig and hasn't decided to eat it yet. You ought to "dead" stick a jig at least 30 seconds near the boat before reeling to to make another cast. Some days that is the only technique that will produce a strike.

You have to experiment each day to find the magic depth, hottest lure, technique, etc. but that is the fun in crappie fishing. Some days I don't catch very many, but most days I don't have any problem easily catching my limit and on good days, 4 or 5 more limits. Release most of your fish. Teach others what you have learned and pretty soon, you will be on your way to becoming a master angler.

Equipment: Use any Hi-Vis line in the 4 lb to 6 lb test. My favorite is Mr Crappie which may be hard to get. Use an open-faced reel that has the widest spoon that you can find. Graphite ul rods in the 4'6" to 5.0 lengths. If the tip is very whippy, break it off down to the next guide, put a new tip on it. I usually buy 5'6" rods and break them to 5.0 or I buy 5.0 and break the tip to about 4'6" or 4'8". Set the drag sort of loose because you never know when you are fishing docks or bluffs that you will run into a big bass, catfish, or drum and you don't want them to break you off. I have caught Rockfish up to 12 lb 8 oz on 4 lb test line. 13.5 lb bluecat, 9.5 channel cat, 18 lb drum, and 4.8 small mouth bass. Sure, I have had big fish break me off when they run around posts on docks, but they were still fun to hook up.

If you have any further questions, or I haven't covered this topic thoroughly enough, ask the ? on this thread and I will expand if possible. I will be checking back on this from time to time for a few days. There are several others on here who are qualified to answer these questions too and please feel free to do so. I want to learn something too. emoTeacher emoBigsmile emoGeezer

Shark

Drum King..... You Are The Man! emoWorthy

Kudos To You and the Other Crappie Kings. emoApplause emoToast

This is the most informed Crappie fishing post I've read here on CFF. I've sent a couple PM's to others but not this detailed on all subjects pertaining to Crappie fishing.

I consider myself very knowledgeable about Crappie fishing techniques, just not knowing the locations to catch them on the lake from a boat and dock shooting still gives me trouble, lol. I do know a few secret places I learned from a couple guys that took me, but that's it. And still all have been kept a secret.

Maybe our Mod's can start 3 new Forums for folks to go just to learn the "How To" of Bass, Crappie and Cats too. Your Reply should definitely be the very first post under the Crappie forum. emoBigsmile

emoThumbsup emoThumbsup emoThumbsup

go blue

that is really a good report must be nice to have that much time to go fish and give a report like that keep the good work up

buzz

GREAT report drumking. I'm old school..minnow man.....but I want to learn about the jig prospect. Gator..just about had me shooting the docks last year. emoFish That was a most well-informed post.

carcrazy151

Really good info thanks man just two more question my depth finders pretty old only works some times so when its not working were are the best spots to catch crappie and when my depth finder is working what do i need to look for also my last question is about shooting docks what lures do you use how does it work

Gator

Drumking, you said a mouth full and anybody interested in learning to fish with your method "can" if they want to give it a try.
CFF is fortunate to have folks like you to share fishing ideas and techniques. Don't every change! You are de MAN!
emoLaugh

procraft

thanks for helping out a new crappie fisherman that is a very good report and you sure helped me learn to hook them light biters thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us all</p>

cuonthelake

Thank you for this post, I have learned so much from this forum and your post DK. I wish right now I was smart and experienced enough to ask you a question. Keep the wisdom coming! emoThanks

drumking

carcrazy151 - 3/10/2011 9:19 PM

Really good info thanks man just two more question my depth finders pretty old only works some times so when its not working were are the best spots to catch crappie and when my depth finder is working what do i need to look for also my last question is about shooting docks what lures do you use how does it work

I will answer your dock shooting ? first. The easiest lure to skip/shoot under docks is a 1.5" panfish assassin with a 1/32 oz jighead. It is compact enough and you can really get good distance on the skips. It is just about the only lure that Polo will use when he crappie fishes. That just happened to be the lure that we were using on our very first fishing trip together several years ago. It worked so well that day, that Polo just never changed. But you can skip other plastics too. Some are much harder to skip than others. You can skip 1/16 oz jigs too, but I only use that jig in much deeper water and if wind or water current is too strong to get the 1/32 oz jigs down to the depth that they need to be.

Depth finders: Can be frustrating and really aren't necessary if one is willing to spend some time learning the lake. The most frustrating thing is to have these new side/bottom scanners that practically show you what kind of fish is down there and how they are relating to cover, but then you fish and can't get the fish to bite. emoBang I'm going to say something that many of you and even some of you that I have taught aren't going to agree with and that is this: Fish neither move, nor feed constantly. The forces that control the tides also have a great influence upon our lakes although we can't see a 6 foot difference in lake levels every 6 hours. One of my students still to this day when we are out and fishing a spot or two and not having any success has said many times - "There is something that these fish will bite if we can just find the right color". This is usually when we are in the dead zone between feeding periods and I don't say anything anymore, I just shake my head and wonder if it will finally dawn on them that the fish don't feed constantly under most conditions. When the moon is overhead or underfoot, we have the strongest feeding periods of the day. They can last as long as 3 hours or more. When the moon location is at 9:00 and again at 3:00, there is a minor feeding period and that is usually a very short feeding spree. 15 minutes if you are lucky. 2 hours before the beginning of a major feeding period is a great time to be scouting and playing with your electronics, mapping, etc. but when it gets to 1 hour before, stop scouting and start fishing.

Where to fish? Depends upon the time of the year. Right now we are entering the pre spawning period and the fish are moving to the shallows getting ready to do their spring fling. It is going to be really easy to catch fish before long. They will be back into the coves around stumps, brush, rocks, blowdowns, etc. This is a good time to fish with a floater and jig. After the spawn, the fish will start moving back to their summer places and that will be on deeper docks, bluffs, steep banks, bridge pilings, etc. Off shore structure shines during this time of the year. Fishing cuts in the delta structure are prime spots to find not only crappie, but bass as well. I tend to look for new places much of the time. I won't fish a dock to death. Some guys hit the same dock over and over day after day and suddenly they can't catch anymore fish there and wonder what happened? My MO, especially in the summer time is to fish the lower end one day, the areas near Harrison Bay the next day, and then on up river the next day. With my little 40 hp motor, I don't run any further than Possum Creek unless I trailer to Grasshopper, and then I will run up and aggravate Dixie Boy's fish in the Dayton area. emoUpsmile

I think that I have answered your two questions. Thanks for asking. This info is debatable, but I have proven it enough times over the past nearly 40 years of fishing to at least prove it to me. You can take it and run with it or ignore it. Just saying. emoBigsmile emoGeezer

Carl Faulkner

The information,that Drumking gave you on the forum was as informative as any you could have gotten anywhere,if you will study it and pay close attention to it. the only thing that I can add to it,is I also fish DOCKS and BLOW DOWN TREES. Crappie will be found in one of three places. DEEP, SHALLOW or somewhere in BETWEEN He and I have fished together, and know what this INFO can mean to someone starting out.
It's not LUCK, it's learning to use the equipment and knowledge that you have about CRAPPIE JANUARY and FEBRUARY,I caught over 300 Fine Crappie on DOCKS. do your HOMEWORK and make it a point to learn the Fish that you want to catch; it's not LUCK it's learning.
REGARDS!
John

drumking

Carl Faulkner - 3/12/2011 4:30 PM

The information,that Drumking gave you on the forum was as informative as any you could have gotten anywhere,if you will study it and pay close attention to it. the only thing that I can add to it,is I also fish DOCKS and BLOW DOWN TREES. Crappie will be found in one of three places. DEEP, SHALLOW or somewhere in BETWEEN He and I have fished together, and know what this INFO can mean to someone starting out.
It's not LUCK, it's learning to use the equipment and knowledge that you have about CRAPPIE JANUARY and FEBRUARY,I caught over 300 Fine Crappie on DOCKS. do your HOMEWORK and make it a point to learn the Fish that you want to catch; it's not LUCK it's learning.
REGARDS!
John

John, we have to get together again soon.

dk

polo-dog

Hey, I'm sorry that I had missed this thread until now. I do appreciate all of the info so far. I learned how to crappie fish from DK and if you really want to catch crappie all year long do what he says. He's a great teacher. One thing that hasn't been discussed yet is figuring out the depth that the fish are holding. I think that there are times when I see bait or other fish at a certain depth and when I try to fish at that depth I catch fish. Most of the time however I have to figure out what depth is in the strike zone by using a "count" to consistently catch fish at a certain spot. A 1/32 oz jig will sink at between 1/3 and 1/2 a foot per second depending on how much the wind is blowing the line, what pound test is being used, and how the current is affecting the jig. When I start fishing a spot I really don't care what I see on my depth finder, I just care what "count" will produce fish. I try to fish horizontally most of the time, with my bait staying within a foot or so of the depth that I start my retrieve at. When my bait hits the water I start counting from one to whatever number I think is most likely the "count" that the fish are holding at. The most important thing to consider is not how long it takes for you to count from one to whatever you count you stop at is, but that when you count, you are very consistent. In other words, I know that my count from one to five takes less than 5 seconds but most every time I count from one to 5 it takes the same amount of time each time I count. DK counts slower than me, and uses 4lb test while I use 6lb test. I know from fishing with him a lot that his 6 count is about equivalent to my 8 count. I just count faster and his bait will drop faster on 4lb than on my 6lb test. I usually start with a count that has worked at another spot the same day at another spot or the count that worked best the day before. If I try a few casts to the spot where I expect there to be fish, using the same count each time and don't catch a fish I will usually try a count that is 2 counts less than the starting count. So, if yesterday an 8 count worked on a certain dock and I don't catch fish at that count, I will go to a 6 count. If that count doesn't work I will usually add 2 counts to my starting count, in other words, go to a 10 count. If that count doesn't work I might go to a 4 count and then to a 12 count. Another variable that I will change from time to time if I am not getting hits when I really believe there are fish at the spot is the length of my pause. Usually, to keep the bait at the same depth I use either a 1/2 or full turn of my reel, reeling about as slowly as I can make myself reel, with a pause of a 2 or 3 count between the reeling. About a year ago I did start using DK's "palsy twitch" which really isn't a twitch but is more like a vibrating of the line just slightly. One way to get the feel for "twitching" is to squeeze the handle of the rod until your arm shakes. That shaking is what the twitch looks like. I tend to use the vibration/twitches right before my pauses and sometimes during my pauses. Most of the hits that I get happen during the pauses, not during the time I am reeling. Once I find the count that is working for the day it's very common for that count to work everywhere on the lake. I would expect that it happens that way is because it's common for the baitfish to tend to suspend at a consistent level throughout the lake. Most probably they are moving along the thermocline or a PH cline, where the acid/base balance is just right for them and the crappie will suspend at that depth just waiting for the bait to be brought to them by the current. I like to fish docks and will do that all the time if the fish are on the docks. The thing that I like most about fishing/shooting the docks is that it's a lot of fun shooting/skipping baits way back under docks where others can't fish. Try to cast a bobber and minnow under a dock that is only 6-8 inches above the water line. Good luck. With a jig and PA or BG shad you can get to where you can skip a bait 20 feet under a dock that is not very far off the water. The other nice thing about fishing the docks is that it is vertical cover that the fish can use from top to bottom but there is no horizontal component. It is very rare to hang up on vertical cover but very common to get hung up on horizontal cover like lay downs. Sometimes I fish all day only using a very few PAs or BG shads and never have to spend time breaking off and retying. It's also very common to be able to catch between 30 and 100 fish per day on the docks once the fish are finished spawning. Just find the right count and you are golden!