Need Some Tips On How To Fish With Shakey Head.

bassfisher315

I am wanting to start fishing with shakey heads and i would love some tips on how to fish them, what size line(also kind), what color worm(also lenth), and reel and rods i should use. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!! emoPoke emoScratch emoConfused emoThanks emoPlease

elwestb

... pm Jmax if he doesn't make a post to answer you!

JDK

id be curious to hear some of Jmax's technique also he does well with the shaky only time i have done good with it is at Riverpark just fishing it like a texas rig worm

troutfanatic

If possible, I would also like the same info. Also, I am very confused about the difference between shakey head worms, finesse worms, trick worms, senkos. They seem to look the same, but some seem to float when they are from one manufacturer and not from another. (I dropped them in a kitchen sink full of water to test this). Thanks for any information. emoScratch

Carl Guffey

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="2">First tie the big red stick on the line, a palomar knot should suffice. Plan the location and direction of your cast. Next crank the big red stick within two links of the tip of your rod. With your partner standing approximately one rod length away, place the rod and the big red stick within his arm reach. Have your partner grasp and then light the big red stick with the attached fuse. Now with the utmost dignity, gracefully launch the big red stick in the desired direction.</font></p>

<font face="Georgia" size="2">Hopefully if the proper length of fuse was used the big red stick will sink to the proper depth and ignite. At which point you can reel in your remaining line and troll to the blast area. Now you can shake your head, look downand say"dang ain't they pretty." Hence the name"shaky head rig" emoPoke </font></p>

elwestb

This winter, what we all need to do is set up a meeting place and have several of the CFF people just give a short casual talk about different fishing methods and baits. Jmax could do shakey heads and drop shots or his beloved spook. ditchdoc could talk about deep water fishing. We could get someone to talk about deep cranks, someone does jerk baits, spoons, Tx rigs and C rigs, jigs, whatever! About 5 / 10 minuets per person would be fine don't you think? Bbass and I was talking about a similar meeting about side imagining units, sonar and mapping, so why not baits and techniques? Who needs Bassmaster University? We have more than enough locals on here to do that!What'cha think?

Hiwassee Angler

I use a 7' medium heavy spinning reel. I like that power because of the backbone. My reel is a 3500 Pfluger President.... Smooth and has a really good drag. Use a ball or football head and screw lock keepers. The weight I use varies with depth . Usually never use anything more that 3/16 ounce. You can use anything. For the majority of the time I throw zoom finesse and trick worms. The finesse is four inches and the trick is six inches. Just your basic greens and junebug. I will also throw a zoom ultra vibe speed worm every once in a while and usual do really well on it. Hope this helps! And Jmax is the man with a shakey head.

Buoy-Master

Theres a huge post somewhere here. Use the search function. I wanna say Pointer78 did it.

Jmax is the man with a Shakeyhead..LOL! Ok...whatever. I spanked him pretty good last year with one. Maybe he caught on! :)

troutfanatic

Thanks for the info!!! I would love to attend an info meeting about the different methods!!!! Again, thanks for all of your help. David Moore. emoCool

derek81

I do really well in the spring on a shakey head, I like the Strike King jigs, 1/8 ounce in most cases, and either the Zoom shakey 4inch or Mag shakey worm which is a seven inch, best colors for chick seem to be junebug or green pumpkin, berkley also makes a great shakey work but they are harder to find. fish it similar to a t-rigged worm but slower, anytime you feel an obstruction (rock, stump or anything on the bottom) stop dragging and shake it, just a little slack in the line and twitch the end of your rod, that's when i get bit most of the time. Use larger worms like the mag shakey head in the summer. If you like to finesse fish it's a great rig, I caught several 4lbers using it this spring, but with all the grass coming in on the chick this summer I haven't been using it as much.

fishinvol

It really isn't much differant than using a t-rigged worm. Just lighter line and weights ( if that's what you choose to use).

Carl Guffey

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="2">I am going to make you think a little bit. What is a shakey head based on? Now. to show you how old school I am. How many on here have ever thrown a jig and a worm? It is the same process, without the hair, sort of like me. You can fish from 1/32 through 1 oz. shallow or deep.</font>

THE WIZARD

troutfanatic - 8/17/2010 9:47 PM

Thanks for the info!!! I would love to attend an info meeting about the different methods!!!! Again, thanks for all of your help. David Moore. emoCool

That would be a good thing to do is have CFF people teach different methods of fishing........something to think about

craazyboutbass

I fish a shakeyhead like I fish a texas rig. I use 8lb flouro line on a spinning rod/reel combo. You can go with heavier line, doesnt matter, but I think flouro would probably be best. When Im fishing in trees and off bluff walls I fish it slow, sometimes even just deadstick it for a good 30 seconds. That will produce some good fish sometimes. Now if Im on a point or a river ledge I will slowly drag it along like I would with a carolina rig. I never jig a shakeyhead, dont know why... but I catch all my fish fishing it those 2 ways and have never caught a fish jigging it. I think its just all about confidence. As for what shakeyhead I use, I doesn't matter to me, I just go to the bait store and buy the cheapest kind they have and catch fish just fine! Good luck!

tie1on

I just started using them last year and Ive had luck fishing them alot like a t-rig just a little slower and sometimes and giving it a little twitch it and just let it sit for 10 seconds or so before retreiving again. Ive had alot of them hit while it is just stting on the bottom. Good luck! emoThumbsup emoThumbsup

Buoy-Master

There's no right or wrong way to fish it so longs as its making some contact on the bottom!
Wiggle it, drag it, hop it, SHAKE IT.

To really know how and where...you gotta tie it on and hit the lake. I have 3/4 ones I use deep....just drag them along. Its allot like the guys said...texas rig. I tell people if you fish a jig, you can fish a shakeyhead or vis-versa.

shrtfysh

Carl Guffey - 8/17/2010 7:58 PM

<font face="georgia,palatino" size="2">First tie the big red stick on the line, a palomar knot should suffice. Plan the location and direction of your cast. Next crank the big red stick within two links of the tip of your rod. With your partner standing approximately one rod length away, place the rod and the big red stick within his arm reach. Have your partner grasp and then light the big red stick with the attached fuse. Now with the utmost dignity, gracefully launch the big red stick in the desired direction.</font></p>

<font face="Georgia" size="2">Hopefully if the proper length of fuse was used the big red stick will sink to the proper depth and ignite. At which point you can reel in your remaining line and troll to the blast area. Now you can shake your head, look downand say"dang ain't they pretty." Hence the name"shaky head rig" emoPoke </font></p>
</p>

<font face="comic sans ms,sand" color="#0099ff" size="3">What a dynamite idea! emoUpsmile emoUpsmile </font></p>

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#0099ff" size="3">Kathy</font></p>

<font face="Comic Sans MS" color="#0099ff" size="3" /></p>

Watts

This winter, what we all need to do is set up a meeting place and have several of the CFF people just give a short casual talk about different fishing methods and baits. Jmax could do shakey heads and drop shots or his beloved spook. ditchdoc could talk about deep water fishing. We could get someone to talk about deep cranks, someone does jerk baits, spoons, Tx rigs and C rigs, jigs, whatever! About 5 / 10 minuets per person would be fine don't you think? Bbass and I was talking about a similar meeting about side imagining units, sonar and mapping, so why not baits and techniques? Who needs Bassmaster University? We have more than enough locals on here to do that!What'cha think?

Edited by elwestb 8/17/2010 8:06 PM

-----
...what would you do if you met God today? "Probably take him fishing!" Denny Crane

Have JDK do the jerk baits...He was killing then last spring or late winter....I alway wanted to ask him to go fishing when that bit was on.... Then I pissed him off fishing by his bridge on Nick-A-Jack. I am asking him anyway. If I have to I will buy him lunch. Josh, how about steak!!

Jmax

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this one and also saw my name all over it. Yes, I very much like the shakey. Right now it is deadly on small to medium bass. Hard to get a kicker off such a small presentation. :( I use 10 lb fluorocarbon line. I use a 1/8 or 1/16 shakey head. I like the ones at Wally World with the small stick insert but any will work. I like to use a small four inch zoom finesse/trick worm. I usually take it and spike it in chartreuse dip die. I like the greens and the june bug colors, black at night. emoThumbsup O.K. now you have the set up. It has been said there is not a way to fish it wrong. I think the only way to fish one wrong is too fast. I like to let it slow fall, twitch it up and let it slow fall again. When rigged weedless you can flip them in grass, wood, docks ...just about anything except rocks. You can use it in rocks but they do fall between them and hang up some. Light line to let it fall deep and slow so they can watch it for a while. I think right now those bass have been beat up a lot on baits so a little none intimidating worm is something they will eat. Often you will not feel the hit, it will just get mushy. Set the hook! Often in grass it will just stop and feel hung up. Wait with a slightly limp line and see if it moves. Set the hook! Sometimes it will feel just like a crappie bite, a tap, a nick,....set the hook! It does not cost anything to set the hook so be safe and set it. If you do not you may miss a fish. I use the shakey down to about 16/18 feet, after that depth I go to a drop shot. emoGeezer Jmax