2002 evinrude 225 ficht problems

SamDHarris

I have a 2002 evinrude 225 ho ficht. Bought it new and never had 1 problem with it until last weekend.My no oil light and buzzer keeps going off.You can run at any speed for a few minutes before it goes off.when the alarm sounds the engine will shut down. You can turn the switch off and turn it back on and crank it and everything seems fine and you can take off and run for a few minutes and then it will do it again. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, if so please let me know what the fix was.

Hook1

Could be some hot relays or wires. I have heard alot of these Ficht motors having electrical issues.

bobby_hamrick

oil pressure switch on side of engine. Possible. U need to get the code out of it. Have it hooked up. I have the software but no windows 98 running laptop to run it on. There are ways to pull these codes out with a volt meter.You have to research this.

wrechin2

The fitch does not use a VRO fuel pump like a carburetored engine. The fuel never goes into the crankcase on a ficht so the ficht has a TOTALLY different oil system. It uses a oil lift pump that actually pumps the oil out of the oil tank in the boat and through the oil injector assembly and then it pumps the oil back into the oil tank in the boat. It constantly circulates the oil. The injector has 7 hoses and will put a drop of oil in every 15-20 seconds behind each throttle body (oiling the crank) and into the fuel at idle (lubrication the upper cylinder). The higher the rpm the more oil it will get. If the pressure switch fails (fairly common) then it will believe it is out of oil due to there is no oil pressure. There are several things that can cause this. The code may help to pin point to what is exactly going on. I have the working program and I am in Dunlap. Where are you located?

Jmax

ah...well.....ah......what wrechin said. emoBigsmile I had that same issue with mine and had to replace the oil lift pump. Was not too bad and it fixed the problem. Mine is a 2000/ 200 h.p. ficht. emoRolleyes Jmax

G

wrechin2 - 7/15/2010 8:37 PM The fitch does not use a VRO fuel pump like a carburetored engine. The fuel never goes into the crankcase on a ficht so the ficht has a TOTALLY different oil system. It uses a oil lift pump that actually pumps the oil out of the oil tank in the boat and through the oil injector assembly and then it pumps the oil back into the oil tank in the boat. It constantly circulates the oil. The injector has 7 hoses and will put a drop of oil in every 15-20 seconds behind each throttle body (oiling the crank) and into the fuel at idle (lubrication the upper cylinder). The higher the rpm the more oil it will get. If the pressure switch fails (fairly common) then it will believe it is out of oil due to there is no oil pressure. There are several things that can cause this. The code may help to pin point to what is exactly going on. I have the working program and I am in Dunlap. Where are you located?
</p>

Im quite sure that you know youre stuff, however, the ficht isnt a 4 stroke, it does consume oil, rather than just circulate it...emoGeezer </p>

wrechin2

Wormhook - 7/16/2010 8:51 AM

wrechin2 - 7/15/2010 8:37 PM The fitch does not use a VRO fuel pump like a carburetored engine. The fuel never goes into the crankcase on a ficht so the ficht has a TOTALLY different oil system. It uses a oil lift pump that actually pumps the oil out of the oil tank in the boat and through the oil injector assembly and then it pumps the oil back into the oil tank in the boat. It constantly circulates the oil. The injector has 7 hoses and will put a drop of oil in every 15-20 seconds behind each throttle body (oiling the crank) and into the fuel at idle (lubrication the upper cylinder). The higher the rpm the more oil it will get. If the pressure switch fails (fairly common) then it will believe it is out of oil due to there is no oil pressure. There are several things that can cause this. The code may help to pin point to what is exactly going on. I have the working program and I am in Dunlap. Where are you located?
</p>

Im quite sure that you know youre stuff, however, the ficht isnt a 4 stroke, it does consume oil, rather than just circulate it...emoGeezer </p>
</p>

The fitch is a 2 stroke DFI. This is a Direct Fuel Injected engine that has a fuel injector where the spark plug usually is and the spark plug come in the side of the head.For this reason only AIR comes througt the crankcase on the Ficht.On the Mercury OPTIMAX it uses a compressor and injects air and fuel throught the injector. But also uses a similiar oil system. On a EFI(injectors located in front of the engine where the carbs are located) and carbureted engine the fuel and air passes throught the crank case where the bearings are lubricated from the oil in the fuel.On the ficht, like mentioned above has a TOTALLY diffferent oil system.Real simple explaination. It has a oil injector on the engine that injects oil into the enginethrought the crankcase and the fuel as mentioned before.It has a oil liftpump that circulates it from the oil tank on board to the oil injector and what is not used at that exact moment is put back into the tank. Just like the early fuel injection oncar. You have a fuel supply to the injector rail and what is not injected into the engineis returned to the fuel tank.All of the oil gets consumed. I have actually worked on some of these enginesso rest assured I know it is not a 4 stroke.... emoGeezer emoGeezer emoToast </p>

JaSkynyrd

Wormhook - 7/16/2010 9:51 AM

wrechin2 - 7/15/2010 8:37 PM The injector has 7 hoses and will put a drop of oil in every 15-20 seconds...AND <font color="#ff0000">INTO THE FUEL AT IDLE</font> (lubrication the upper cylinder).
</p>

Even I know that that probably means it's not a 4 stroke...

wrechin2

JaSkynyrd - 7/16/2010 10:55 AM

wrechin2 - 7/15/2010 8:37 PM The injector has 7 hoses and will put a drop of oil in every 15-20 seconds...<font color="#ff0033">AND INTO THE FUEL AT IDLE</font> (lubrication the upper cylinder).
</p>

</p>

emoToast emoToast emoToast </p>

Oldman

i guess he knows what he is talking about.dang fluffy u r pretty smart to come from whitwell.lol

Treed1

Wow I think he punched one of James buttons !!! James do you work on boat motors ?

G

JaSkynyrd - 7/16/2010 10:55 AM

wrechin2 - 7/15/2010 8:37 PM The injector has 7 hoses and will put a drop of oil in every 15-20 seconds...AND <font color="#ff0000">INTO THE FUEL AT IDLE</font> (lubrication the upper cylinder).
</p>

</p>

</p>

Well somewhere in the process, it uses oil, it doesnt simply recirculate, making it a 2 stroke. I never implied James doesnt know engines, he just made it sound like a 4 stroke.</p>

wrechin2

I was simply explaining HOW the oil injection system DOES work on this FICHT. It DOES constantly circulates the oil through the <font color="#ff0000">OIL INJECTOR</font> using a oil lift pump. Not the engine.It has a SUPPLY line from the oil tank and a RETURN line to the oil tank. Here is the OIL's PATH that will help. </p>

1)The <font color="#ff0000">OIL LIFT PUMP</font> getsthe oil from on-board oil tank then supplies it to the<font color="#ff0000"> OIL INJECTOR </font><font color="#000033">under pressure. </font></p>

2) The<font color="#ff0000">OIL INJECTOR</font> then <font color="#ff0000">IN</font><font color="#ff0000">JECTS</font> the supplied <font color="#ff0000">CIRCULATED</font> under pressue oil into the engine to be <font color="#ff0000">consumed</font> through the <font color="#ff0000">crankcase</font> and the <font color="#ff0000">fuel</font>.</p>

3) What oil is <font color="#ff0000">not</font> used by the <font color="#ff0000">OIL INJECTOR</font>is <font color="#ff0000">RETURNED</font> back to the oil tank through the oil return line.Then back to #1</p>

As I stated before, The FICHT uses a TOTALLY DIFFERENT OILING SYSTEM than a carbureted Johnson/Evinrude using a VRO.Because the oil is under pressue, it has a pressure switch on it that are common to fail and start leaking. </p>